AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: mikell Trip Report: Part Fourteen - Last Full Day - 03/13/04 02:15 AM
I'm coming to the end of my journal notes, which I made sure to write at the end of each day - in case you think that I actually remembered all this detail! It doesn't take too long to jot down a few highlights of your trip as you live it and I'm sure you'll be glad you did later when you look at photos and try to remember names of people & places.

Today will be a liesurely day with no real "plans" except to go to BC's BBQ for our last taste of their incredible Sunday special. It's another gorgeous day with a fairly strong wind but plenty of sunshine. We want to savour every moment of beachfront relaxation that we can, so after breakfast, we're out on the lounge chairs just chilling�

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ec8121d9030000003610[/img]

Around 11 we decide our feet can take another stroll to town on the beach. Again, the camera is ready and this time, I can't resist snapping a couple of pictures of some local kids with their parents enjoying the popular Mar del Tumbo beach area and the natural "jungle gym" the trees provide�

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ec877158600000003610[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ec851058000000003610[/img]

We arrive at BC's before it gets too crowded and order a seafood & ribs combo for me and a beef burrito for Alan. Both are excellent and very filling. We meet Pedro again and take a couple of memorable pictures (which I've already posted) and say our goodbyes. A last shot of one of our favourite places to eat on the beach...

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ec99ba58a40000003610[/img]

While Alan wanders the beachfront area taking a few last pictures, I head off to find Heart & Soul Boutique. I'm in search of a sarong - the one item of clothing I want to purchase as a reminder of our trip. It's hard to miss in a large purple building which houses a variety of stores surrounding a courtyard. I meet the owner who I discover is from New York State, not far from our home. She and her husband moved here not long ago and he is now owner of the mini-golf course in town - a far cry from his former life as an attorney! I get the impression he likes his current job better!

I buy a very lovely sarong and then stop in to the wonderful Sweet du Monde Café downstairs. The man who serves me nods his head as if he's heard it before when I tell him I wish I had found this place sooner in the week! They are a little off the main routes but well worth finding. I buy an iced coffee and a couple of their great selection of delectable pastries. Look for this place when you're there - you'll be glad you stopped by.

Back on the beach, I find Alan and share the large iced coffee with him. We're both feeling a bit low key as we are facing the reality that these fleeting moments on Ambergris Caye are nearing their end. He snaps a picture of this Hobie Cat on the shore with a name that expresses our sentiments and desire to make this last forever�.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ec9dcfd9e30000003610[/img]

On the way back to Banana Beach, we stop at Ramon's pier and I slip into the water to snorkel a bit. I brought my gear with me today because I just had to do it one last time. I say my goodbyes to the fish too!

Another walk down the beach and we're back at the hotel. We take a short nap and then it's time to start packing up a bit - no one's favourite chore. As the sky starts to darken, we head down to El Devino's for our last supper. Outside on their patio, with candles glowing and the warm breezes surrounding us, we enjoy another fabulous meal - the filet mignon for Alan and crab cakes and casear salad for me. Sergio is our waiter again tonight and we say our goodbyes to him too. He's been wonderful all week.

Back in our room, we finish up most of our packing and turn the TV on to catch a bit of the Oscar's. We almost don't want to go to sleep tonight because we don't want tomorrow to come�.

To be continued�
Hi Mikell,

I'm writing this with a HEAVY HEART!! Just remembering our last day makes me SO sad!
I have really enjoyed your report...and wish Paul and I had met you before we left on Feb 25.
We did so many of the same things, ate at the same places....even BOTH our husbands are rather PICKY EATERS...I'm sure you and I both ate enough seafood to make up for what they didn't eat. The only thing I did get to do that you couldn't was EAT LOBSTER...AND boy was it good!
If I am fortunate enough to return next year, I will go one week earlier so my lobster eating time will be LONGER
PAT
mikell, this entry was particularly touching to me as I also remember packing the night before and feeling so sad. On our departure morning last trip I can remember sitting on my beach front porch at Ramon's (waiting for Irm to come back in the golf cart with a last minute purchase from the Rum House) thinking I hadn't bought ankle bracelets for my girlfriends back home. Just that moment a young boy came by with the most fabulous selection. As we were doing business I was telling him how sad I was to leave this beautiful place. Very wisely for his 7 years he said, "Don't be sad. Maybe you will have good fortune and be able to return again someday." Any ways that is a little slice of my departure from paradise. Thanks so much for sharing. I have really enjoyed your pics and your reports. mobunny cool
Your posts are just awesome. I am soooo excited to go and know that I will be just as sorry as you when it's time to return home.
Mikell...oh my, I haven't even arrived and you've got me already thinking how difficult it will be to leave. My days, as I'm counting, are spent researching this board and hearing Madonna's voice singing..."last night I dreamt of San Pedro...." and I applaud you for capturing AC in such a way that pulls us boarders in as if we're actually experiencing the daily events with you. laugh

Bnbelize...can't wait to meet up with you and Angelo and some of the other boarders travelling the same time as us!!! Booked Capt. Bicho for a few days (he actually had us booked Good Friday & Easter until his wife reminded him of the holiday smile ) Can't wait to meet him too!!
Marty should add a Travelogue area to this site.
he has:

//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/articles.html
Great report again Mikell. I'm afaid to read the next one, but I will. Thanks again.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board