AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: moorefun late July fishing report - 08/22/04 06:00 PM
This was my 2nd time fishing at AC, the first was in summer 2 yrs ago. I spin fished 2 days this year with Ricardo from Amigos Del Mar. For spinning he uses shad darts baited with hermit crab. The darts cast really well making it easier for accurate casts in the wind. I was lucky and the wind was relatively light each day. On day one I boated 15 bones 12 to 18 inches in 4 hours! We found some schools of about 100-200 fish. I find bonefish much more plentiful in Belize, but not the size of the Florida bones. After lunch we went to some nearby artificial reefs (underwater cars & busses) and hammered red, mangrove, and yellowtail snapper. I took some of the fillets to the restaurant at the Sunbreeze where I was staying, and they cooked them any way I wanted with choice of potatoes and veggies for US $7.50. Yummy!! Day 2 we used sardines and fished near the natural reef all day. It was a successful day catching many snapper, cuda and other fish.

On the previous trip I went with Ricardo 1 day and Jose Luis 2 days. Both guides are excellent for spinning or fly fishing for bonefish. However, Ricardo provides spinning and bait casting reels while Jose only bait casting reels. One day Jose took me to the Savannah flats and I boated 6 tarpon 20-30 lbs in a few hours. If you go to the Amigos dock late afternoon and ask for either of them directly or calling them (Ricardo cell phone (501) 601-6591 and Jose (501) 226-2617) it costs $200 a day. Whereas going through Amigos Del Mar will cost you $225.

Initially I put in a call to Capt Bicho and we played phone tag missing each other. I did see his boats and would recommend the wider boat with the bimini top for reef fishing. It would be more stable and provide shade compared to the Amigo boats. Although I'm sure Bicho and his guides do well with bones too, with my overwhelming successful experiences it is hard for me to not stay with Ricardo for bone fishing and for snapper at the calm water, artificial reefs. Good luck and tight lines everyone.
Posted By: bywarren Re: late July fishing report - 08/22/04 07:14 PM
A good example of the fact there are many very good guides in San Pedro.

I know Capt. Jeff has been criticized for what some feel is over promoting Capt. Bicho. I know for a fact that Jeff gets no monetary rewards from that, only the satisfaction of helping someone who gives him good service. One good deed deserves another.

I have been using the same guide since my first trip to Belize and feel he is one of the best. Having a different attitude than Capt. Jeff, I have not promoted my guide. Why would I want to take a chance on him being booked by some jerk on this message board when I might want to use him? laugh All's fair in love and fishing. wink

Glad you had a good time and good fishing, moorefun. Thanks for the report.

PS: dogmatic prevaricator, you said Capt. Jeff deserved the "pretentious blowhard award." I hope my self-ingratiating attitude will not prevent you from bestowing any recognition on me that I might deserve. smile
Posted By: captjeff Re: late July fishing report - 08/23/04 01:59 PM
moore fun good for you ,glad you got to live the dream . very nice report .... And your right the two reef boats fishingdsanpedro.com capt bicho has, are little wider and he also uses a mate ,wich is nice when you have three or four fishing it is nice touch to get pampered and with a crew of two . .there is nothing better then fresh snapper to eat at night . I take mine to the stained glass pub she marie the chef does the fish three different ways yummy .. capt bicho also has a flats boat and he is a great flats gudide too ,, and as flats fishing is not my thing he made me try it..we had action packed morning and we also had bone after bone we used shrimp and crab .. plus got a nice permit ..keep comming back to the island and have fun ,live life to the max and enjoy ,maybe we can go can reef fishing together ...
Posted By: bywarren Re: late July fishing report - 08/24/04 01:19 PM
That would seem pointless. wink
Posted By: coconutlady Re: late July fishing report - 08/24/04 02:34 PM
dp,

Your vomitory atticism never fails to amaze.
Posted By: CrackerLarry Re: late July fishing report - 08/24/04 02:45 PM
yall give my dictionary a workout!
Posted By: ChrisW Re: late July fishing report - 08/24/04 05:59 PM
http://www.vomitorium.freeserve.co.uk/
Posted By: coconutlady Re: late July fishing report - 08/24/04 09:58 PM
Chris,

Only a Marion county resident could be resourceful enough to find that website.
Posted By: CrackerLarry Re: late July fishing report - 08/24/04 10:06 PM
It wasn't vomitory I was having a problem with, thanks.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board