AmbergrisCaye.com Home

capt's jeff may fishing and food report

Posted By: captjeff

capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 05:36 PM

Well fishing fans here is the skinny on May. All in all it was good to very good. While the wind did blow from the east north east 10 to 20 miles an hour... our reef days fishing south were productive. We tucked behind cover close to the crab islands to block the wind as off shore was not in the plan this week. The Capt fished with three guides... Juan Almerita, Franciso Verde, and Ramon Guerrero... all three great guides.

Day one and two fished with John and Julie from the board j&j. Super nice couple, and John loves to fish. We caught snapper, small grouper, lots of non stop action with a few big gray snapper mixed in. We only fished until noon as we can catch all we want in four hours. We used #2 or #3 size hooks with live sardines and a very small shot sinker as wind could blow some times up to 20 miles a hour. We fished on all reef days 45 min ride south from San Pedro to the channels and shallow reef and car wrecks in 10 to 15 foot of water...

On day three and four I took out some local kids to try fishing and they just loved it. Again had non stop action on day four. Took out Chris my buddy and again some local kids. One chap Cody, a son of my contracter, who did not stop chit-chatting as he always said he could see a big fish behind our boat, bla bla bla... well he hooks this fish and it spools his line and snaps the 15lb test like nothing. So we say you're in the car wreck we are fishing, no fish, only your imagination. Cody says no it was a jew fish. So I put a large sardine on and say ok, where is this huge fish he shows me... well holy moly I a get a big bite and it snaps my line too... wait just a cotton picking minute... we may have a big fish after all. So our guide Poncho Verde says lets get out the heavy stuff and see whats the deal... he puts on a small grunt, we just caught and use a 50lb test, plus big rod . with wire leader and a big sinker sends it to the bottom and pow, pow, pow, bam we have a huge jew fish (goliath grouper) on. A few minutes later fish on gaff and in boat (see photos), it will feed a lot of hungry folks in Belize... no fishing story here!! Lots of fun and action was had by all. Even Chris caught fish (as he has no floppy rod now)...

Day five was Pedro 1 from the board (yes, shy peter, or is it motor mouth???) and his buddy Simon and Steve from coconets internet cafe, a motley crew to say the least. Again go almost an hour south to the car wrecks, fish all around us. We are hooking jacks, some big, some small, plus spanish mackeral, snapper and grouper. A mixed bag of fish, again non stop action. Peter is sleeping as usual when Steve hooks a nurse shark and reels it to the boat. Peter wakes up at the same time to look down in the water and to see what's happening... perfect timing. Just as the shark comes to the surface and snaps his jaws... Peter jumps up in fright. I have never seen Peter move so fast, the big sissy boy that he is... as he runs to the back of the boat, we all had a belly laugh, he was so funny. We cut the shark off the line and send it home. Again a living the dream day out in the shallow water close to San Pedro.

John went bone fishing with Poncho Verde and hooked some nice bone fish, but the the fly fisherman this week had challenges with the high wind but did produce some nice catches of bone fish. On some days we saw hundreds of fish tailing in the shallow flats. This is a bone fish paradise. We did see some tarpon in the channels and permit in the flats as well. We booked all three guides thru Steve at the coconets internet cafe, he is handling the fishingsanpedro.com web site and is now booking six famous guides and Capts of San Pedro. fishingsanpedro.com will soon have a new web site, but for now, you can telephone #1508 721 6556 a stateside call or belize 011 501 226 2835... or email [email protected]

The weeks weather was just perfect... very hot but wind cooled off the days and gave it a real tropical feeling.

My food report was my usual haunts, breakfast at Estelles on the beach opens at 6AM for fishermen... great food... the fried jacks a must and a breakfast burrito so big can feed two...
Jade Garden for chinese, the best home made egg rolls in the world...
Paulys Pizza now on my must eat in list new york style pizza...
B/C bar bbq on the beach next to Sun Breeze Hotel on sunday, outstanding food, 11am til 3pm... ribs/chicken/fish/shrimp and fixings and ice cold beer.

Food in San Pedro has been just super... a vast variety of fabulous places one better than the other.
Had time to meet new and old friends, like Govikes, Peter, yes pedro 1, sorry but i love this guy, Chris, Steve... and some new ones Gela, Lauriemar, missed fluffy. Ship does happen, may be next time... did have great times with [email protected] john and julie, beautiful people, took some kids fishing, did some relaxing, a true living the dream week in San Pedro... my pictures are posted below just click on line and enjoy...

CLICK LINKS BELOW TO SEE PICTURES
Me, Chris, 2 local boys and Capt. Poncho Verde smiling after a great day of fishing

Me & Chris and the big Jewfish ...ou are from Brooklyn, a big mother fish.

Local boy with a snapper, and notice a Cruise Value Center hat, free of course

Simon, peter\'s friend, first time ...ean around us, chasing bait for an hour.

Everybody cleaning fish after a hard day at work.

Our guide Juan\'s boat, twin engine, look at the beautiful water, after a living the dream day

Poncho Verde\'s 2 boats, one reef boat, one flats lagoon boat. Great guide.

John with Hilly Boo on a night tarpon cuda run, no bites on the tarpon but did catch cuda.

Capt. Juan Almeta and his mate Pete...he biggest snapper\'s i caught this year

Some of the small grouper we were catching with Capt. Juan, nice eatin.

Poncho and John with some of the bo...d permit. The lagoon is alive with fish.

Another bone

Same big mother snapper, just like to look at it twice

This is the one that got away, tried my best. This would have made my day, had I landed it.
Posted By: Gela

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 06:08 PM

CJ - I vow to go fishing with you one day laugh
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 06:13 PM

Great trip report Capt. Jeff! The first part of your story is a bit of a different language to me although, I hope to learn the world of fishing very soon. Hope to run into you soon while, "living the dream"!
Posted By: Fluffy

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 06:30 PM

Capt Jeff: I am so sorry I missed you. Hopefully we can connect soon. I'd love to try my hand at fishing with you.

Great trip report...you're living the dream in a huge way!!
Posted By: BFaucett

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 06:43 PM

Capt Jeff: I couldn't get the people that I was with moving on Sunday so I didn't get to the BBQ on Sunday until about 4PM so I guess I missed you. I went on 7 dives and went fishing once and did very well. I didn't know that Baracuda was good eating! Had a great time, maybe we can get together the next time. Capt Bob

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 07:59 PM

gela your on make it happen ,love ,,living the dream bab...y

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 08:00 PM

fluffy next time .for sure..

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 08:01 PM

travel queen will translate fisherman talk for you when your down next trip,,

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 08:03 PM

bfaucett was there till 2 pm then went back home to my condo just stuffed ... had to soak the body in the pool .the bc bbq was awesome that day ... what food .yum yum ,,,yum ...
Posted By: BFaucett

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 08:13 PM

I was thinking that BC's would be a big place but I guessI was wrong. I had done lots of reading about SP over the last few years but there were lots of things that I didn't expect like the dirt roads, the laid back attitude of the people, and the ferry to the north end. It was a great trip, I just wish the Belize government would spend some money picking up some of the trash in some places.
Posted By: Cindy Ann

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 08:14 PM

Fluffy, you can't party all night if you want to fish in the morning. We have a great picture for you,where should we send it?

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 08:17 PM

I was wondering where you have been? Send to me at [email protected]

And I would save myself for Capt Jeff if I knew I was living the dream with him laugh

Miss you guys!!!

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 08:41 PM

fluffy my love now your talking ..but do not save yourself when your with me ..

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 08:57 PM

Capt Jeff. I'd only be saving myself for that morning. Hate to be hung over while on a boat, in the hot sun. The combination does not work. And if I'm with you, want to enjoy my every moment.
Posted By: Spleen

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 09:00 PM

Wow. That GG is just a lil' baby. They're protected here in FL and we get 'em up to 600 pounds. Next to a bull shark it's the spear fisherman's worst enemy.

captjeff, I'll be in AC in mid June. I have two little kids (3 & 5) who love to fish (from shore, this far). Do you think kids could have fun fishing a boat in AC, maybe in the flats or shallows? I'd like to expose them to more fishing, but I wouldn't want to put them on a boat if the guides don't approve or if it's too dangerous. Think any guides would welcome a couple small kids?
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 09:23 PM

capt....is the one that got away a snapper as well???? laugh laugh laugh

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 09:42 PM

spleen the guides here are great with kids ,I think the 3 year old is to young but the five year old is ready for a half day or less trip .. but only shallow water inside reef..go with a guide who works with a mate ..wide two eng boat not a one eng panga /mexico skift..call steve at coconet internet he will put you with the right guide.. go live the dream with the kids twice the fun..

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 09:43 PM

fluffy yeah baby .

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 09:45 PM

carla yes a red snapper , just delicious...
Posted By: EJ

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/24/05 11:01 PM

Hey Capt Jeff, I will be there next week with my work buddy. She loves to fish and would like to try her hand at sea fishing. Most of her experience is from shore here in Texas. What do you suggest for the both of us? :rolleyes:
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/25/05 02:16 PM

No need to add any Marie 'eh capt? Hope you didn't burn your lips!!! laugh laugh laugh I WANNA GO FISHIN!
Posted By: Swimswithfishes

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/25/05 03:04 PM

Capt Jeff,
You look so happy in the pictures! From following your posts here, I think you have the right attitude about life and makes me want to follow my dreams and live the life even more!

heading back to SP in the beginning of July,
Freezing in NJ right now :-)

Stay well

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/25/05 09:08 PM

ej you can fish from shore??? but a half day reef on a boat is very reasonable ,and lots of fun action galore ....call my buddy steve when you get down he will hook you up with some great capts and guides ,2262835 he is based out of coconet internet cafe he is the owner and will be of great service to you as he now books fishing tours .. go live the dream and enjoy..

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/25/05 09:21 PM

swim with fishes,glad thats your name as I love fish , but when I was growing up in brooklyn if they said you swim with the fish ,they meant you where dead !! killed ... anyway glad you like my posts thanks ,.. yes life is short .I live in nj too also freezing my butt off rain ,cold not like my second home in sanperdro 75 /85 year most of the time ..
Posted By: CrackerLarry

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/25/05 09:24 PM

Capt. Jeff, sorry for jumping in late, but the one that got away, she's a nice one! That's what keeps ya comin back for more!

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/25/05 09:32 PM

cracker,yes it was a fine specimen .looks like she is high maintenance,but probably worth it.. money is no object to having fun and living the dream..
Posted By: klcman

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/26/05 12:14 AM

nme thinks Capt Jeff changed his last name to protect the guilty...a Brklyn boy huh hmmmmmmm

jeff del capitano

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/26/05 06:09 PM

kaye and scott ,,, sept fishing in the flats can be fun .all depends on nice weather ?? need no rain ,no wind,,but most storms pass quick if there are any ??? last year fishing was very good and when I was there nice weather ..,, and a plus , all the good guides are available as sept is off season call steve at coconet internet cafe he can help you pick from some great guides ,011 501 226 2835 he books them for you .. .. also do not know about mata chica way up the coast north to far for me.... but I do use and love tropical touch day spa new location overlooking water in front of the o'farrel house on the beach next to belize yatch club five min.from mata rocks ,by golf cart a wonderful classy spa ,vickie has done a super job on this spa sits over the water wonderful treatment rooms with a view.. first class place .. 011 501 226 4666 or check out the web site on this board.. my personal strong recommedation ..go live the dream and enjoy

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/26/05 06:24 PM

klc and yo. whats wrong with brooklyn .,as long as you do the right thing ..yo .yo . if do not do the right thing ,for get about it .. yo .you get my drift.. never nothing to hide ,well not much..
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/26/05 07:22 PM

Thanks CaptJeff for your sharing. Got me thinking about fishing again!! Will take a trip in the RV with Sheba to do some trout fishing in fresh water Missouri. Better than swimmin with the fish in the East River, ugh??

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/26/05 07:33 PM

bill you are soooo right .they have cleaned it up some but still dirty.. have fun with the fresh water trout .enjoy..
Posted By: EJ

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/27/05 03:16 AM

Thanks Capt Jeff. I will go to coconuts and talk with steve. What I meant is she is used to fishing from the shore here in Texas. She is looking forward to getting on a boat and fishing. cool

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/27/05 01:25 PM

ej you will have a ball ,try half day reef you will get hooked no pun intended .bring sun screen ,a hat and a camera ,tell steve to get you a capt with a wide twin eng boat ie' like .jaun almetea ,pancho verde ,bicho rivero ,ramon gurrero ,hillyboo all of just named are very good and have this type of boat for the reef ,great for first time fisherman very stable and boat has room to move around . you can call steve now a local state side call 1 508 721 6556 .and chit chat make sure he has a good guide not booked up as this is a hot week comming up for bookings ???..go live the dream and enjoy..

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/27/05 07:08 PM

Glad to hear Steve is booking guides at Coconet's Internet Cafe. All of the guides are great...I know them all!!! It is a MUCH better way of finding a guide than trolling the bars.

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 05/27/05 07:53 PM

bill you little devil you have a way with words .bill my buddy next trip down we will have a antipasto of great guys to fish with..
Posted By: FishingSanPedro

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/06/05 08:52 PM

Jeff,

This is a great thread, people come into CocoNet Internet almost every week mentioning that they read youe posts. Unrer your tutorage, I have gone from just feeding the fish my bait to actually catching some.

Plus, now that we are booking trips for 6 of the best fishing guides on the island I am actually starting to learn some of the best places to fish.

Steve

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/06/05 10:13 PM

...how goes it, Stevareno!!! Hope all is well in San Pedro. If ever you start selling farm equipment at Coconets...just give us a ring...we'll promote BIG TIME!!!!

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/06/05 10:38 PM

bill I am rolling on the floor you are to funny...
and steve what do you mean by [youe ]posts and [unrer ]your tutorage ,do you mean you .and do you mean under ??? as I am dyslexic it makes sense to me>.also remind me please ... that when we fish together and photo our fun time . to only post politically correct fish pictures ..and not to offend anybody .. and when the folks in belize who eat our fish,not get there dinner they count on .we will send them a photo to put on there empty refrigerator.. only kidding no way we would do that as we know the difference ,between good and just plain stupid . be back in july for more fishing and doing the right thing.
Posted By: Texan34

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/08/05 02:58 AM

Capt., how's the Tarpon fishing the 1st week in july?

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/08/05 02:03 PM

Texan 34 tarpon fishing should be good . need first good weather and if that is good and you must have a good local guide .but try all type of fishing here ...you wil have a very nice time..relax lots ,drink a little ,eat a bunch of seafood , do get to know the local folks... .. and I can promise you a living the dream week , tight lines to you and good fishing ,enjoy...

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/08/05 02:10 PM

Capt Jeff,

So when in July will you be in SP???

Alive n Well n Swimmingwiththefishes:-)

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/08/05 02:29 PM

swimswiththefishes ???? will know in a few days ?????? I make last min plans as I try to go every month or two ..I use my air miles so never worry about the $$$$$ just if a seat is on the plane and this time of year always seats.hope to see ya down there?? and share with you some living the dream good times, enjoy ..
Posted By: USNA73

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/08/05 03:31 PM

Capt Jeff,
Taking your advice last year got us "hooked". We loved our day on the water with Capt. Bicho. We are going back next week and, using the direct line (508 721 6556), are all set again for June 20.
Peter & Susan

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/09/05 02:11 PM

HI capt!!
Yes, I will be leaving NJ the last week in June and staying in Belize till the 13th of July. Staying at BB the first week and then leaving plans a bit open in case I decide to take a jaunt to Caye Caulker or mainland. Would love to meet up and chat as I'm looking into a more permanent situation for the future and would welcome some feedback.
Enjoy your messages and your take on life :-)

You KNOW how life can get here in NJ and it's time for me to get a plan. It's a Quality of Life issue!

If it's OK, can I email you off our profile and as your input on some things that I'm considering.

Ohhhhh, can't wait to step onto Belizean soil!

Enjoy your day..ready for another scorcher??
Posted By: Gwennan

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/09/05 02:14 PM

whereabouts in nj are you?

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/09/05 02:24 PM

yes . e mail me swimwiththe fishes . [email protected]

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/09/05 02:25 PM

Gweennan central nj..

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/09/05 02:29 PM

ok, i'm in south jersey. too far from sp!!!

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/09/05 02:38 PM

lui am dlunk 69 meet lots of people there , and I know lots of pretty ladies/women from sanpedro /belize and as we met for a only few seconds do not know who was with me then ?.. and capt bicho is a great guide I use him as well as five just super local captains ..have no partners in sanpedro or belize as I am just a once a month lucky gringo fisherman ,who loves the island .. but I am very fortunate to know and care for lots of local families who treat me like family .they help me live the dream ...hope this helps your curiosity??????????
Posted By: Texan34

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/09/05 05:57 PM

Hey Capt. Do you like in SP?

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/09/05 07:53 PM

texan 34 do you like what??? in sanpedro?????

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/18/05 12:30 PM

I'm in North Jersey, so it looks like the three of us have the state covered top to bottom!!

Re: capt's jeff may fishing and food report - 06/18/05 07:04 PM

You're right, we have Jersey covered!
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board