AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Scorpio Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/09/07 12:59 AM
While staying at Ruby's on the beach near Aqua Dive, My very beautiful wife and I were awaken by someone saying my name through our window (on the 3rd floor) at 4:15 am. The man was mispronouncing my name and was becoming very angry that I did not respond. We had been diving the day prior Nov. 8th 2007 at Aqua dive off the beach near BC's bar. After 20 minutes, the keeper came up and told the guy to leave. He was supposed to be off shift @4:00 am, lucky for us, he must have stayed around a little longer and heard the guy. (Obviously the guy knew the keepers schedule) When Ruby's was approached by us, obviously concerned due to the anger and visciousness this guy was yelling in the window, the keeper said he had to run off someone from the dive shop but did not know him by name. This guy was absolutely up to no good and will cause someone harm at some point. The police were contacted (with no results) and Aqua Dive management was contacted to inform of the situation with one of their employees. No return call was received from the manager as he promised. So, obviously this guy is still out either waiting to victimize another, or continuing to. He obviously believes he can get away with this type of action, because nothing happened to address the issue. Ever thought what a person would be doing yelling your name in your window very angrily, in a place where you know no one, at 4:15 am? The troubling thing is, the guy is known and nothing happened. What if i had opened the door to this guy? He was definitely out to do harm? What do we do from here? We love the island but this has jaded us. I would love some input from anyone with insight.

Posted By: Marty Re: Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/09/07 02:54 AM
big time freaky. guy must have been wasted. you sure he worked for aqua dives?
Very strange! You did the right thing by not opening your door or responding. Only thing I can think of is staying at a hotel/resort with a proper security officer. Most of the budget places do not. Glad it turned out ok.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/09/07 03:13 PM
Is it relevant who this person worked for?
It is relevant if that's the reason the guy knew their names, where they stayed, and their room number. Vouchers given to dive shops and tour companies usually have this information on them, so for that reason, it is relevant.
Ruby's does have a security guard ("the keeper".) And of course it matters where the guy works because it will help eventually figure out who he is. Sounds quite strange and probably a little more to the story than we have been told. The police can't really do much when you don't know who the guy is, you think you might know where he works, and he didn't actually do anything except call your name at 4am. If that is all it takes to get people off the street 25% of the party crowd in San Pedro would be locked up every saturday night!

Why on earth would my post have been deleted? All I said was that "victimized" seemed too strong a word and "seriously annoyed" more in keeping with what actually happened.

And then, in keeping with what Amanda said about there probably being more to the story, I asked if they'd had any earlier social interaction with the person yelling outside their window.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/09/07 11:28 PM
I wonder whether Scorpio has approached AquaDives to help resolve the issue?
Taken from the original post "The police were contacted (with no results) and Aqua Dive management was contacted to inform of the situation with one of their employees. No return call was received from the manager as he promised."
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/10/07 02:18 AM
Hadn't spotted that.
Ya, I agree - sounds like there is more to the story...

Fellow Scorpio, are you certain that it was a Aqua Dive employee? What about all those nice folks you met during the day. Additionally, you'd be surprised to know about other lingering people that latch on to conversations who you didn't know were listening. They learn a lot. Yes, this from the voice of experience!

Let us know how it turns out.
"When Ruby's was approached by us, obviously concerned due to the anger and visciousness this guy was yelling in the window, the keeper said he had to run off someone from the dive shop but did not know him by name."

Sounds like everyone is trying to put the blame on the guest without knowing the story. Stop being so judgmental.

If someone was angrily yelling my name through my window at 4am I'd be worried and I live here. Imagine what it would be like for someone visiting a strange country.
I don't read it as everyone putting the tourists at blame. We're just wondering about the rest of the story.
TQ / Seashell, So, what more to the story could there be that would legitamize someone yelling into their window at 4am?
I totally agree Mike. Some people always wish to place a doubt on everything. There is no 'other shoe'.
Guess it must be a gender thing because I agree that something appears to be missing here. I just don't get feeling "victimized" because someone was yelling outside your door at 4 am. confused
Someone yelling outside my window at 4:30AM is in for a good ass wuppin ! Well, at least one of us is gittin an ass wuppin.
Big Mike/E, the story just doesn't make much sense... why would someone be YELLING into some else's window? There has to be SOME reason! Burglary does not come to mind, for obvious reasons.

If this was a common occurrence, I'm sure this employee of Aqua Dives would no longer be an employee.

My previous post just suggested that it may have been someone they were hanging with at the bar. Seems a more likely scenario, amongst others...
A more likely scenario, is a doped up person that possibly overheard a conversation, OR, an employee of the dive shop. Does it really matter? It happened.
Posted By: Marty Re: Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/11/07 04:11 AM
the person who began this has never posted after the original entry, if they don't soon, i am going to assume its a crank posting. i saw it on another board too, also uncommented on
E, or maybe they took his kitty for a walk and never returned it! He wanted it back! :P
HA! Maybe ! If it was mine, Id be looking for it.
Ignore the jackass and he will go away, If not send ernie down for some ass wuppin!!
Hey all, thanks for the input. In response to if it was one of the guys from Aqua Dives. We were approached by one of the guys on the dock during us suiting up for diving (tall and skinny), he says, "I don't know what's gonna happen, but somethings gonna happen". We just laughed and thought this is funny at the time. Looking back, this is the guy I saw outside on the third floor at Ruby's sleeping in a chair the first night we got there. This was not the same guy talking in the window. All I saw was a shadow in the shear curtain, and I did not want to start something that i could not finish without a weapon, so i did not respond at all. This guy in the window had a very deep island voice and was not a small guy, i could also see he had short bushy dreads. When the sun came up, i went downstairs to try and "Hopefully" identify him. I did see the tall skinny guy from the dive shop downstairs talking to 2 others, none i recognized, and none talked with the deep voice. But the guy did make mention to his friends while i was standing there of how he had "been here since 4:00 am", where i would hear him. So I'm pretty sure he was in on it, just not the one in the window. My honest belief, is that they or he were after my wife. Knowing by walking around that there is definitely a shortage of girls in San Pedro. My wife stands out and gets alot of attention, not to boast, thats just the way it is. There is no reason that the guy would be coming to my window. I still have not received any response from the dive shop, and i assume the keeper did not want to walk over to the dive shop and point him out, lest he be a victim himself. So next time i will be armed in san Pedro. Does anyone know the ins and outs of getting a weapon in San Pedro?
You'd be well advised to go somewhere else. San Pedro is not for you and your extremely beautiful wife. Maybe a bodyguard would be in order?
You just lost all credibility.
Smells trollish...
If I were a new tourist and read this I would probably pick a different vacation spot. You guys are just great....San Pedro should be proud.
It is not Scorpio's fault that as a new tourist, he does not yet realize that in San Pedro, *all* women are incredibly beautiful and get alot of attention.
Lets hope that all the "armed" tourists go somewhere else.
I suppose that if this guy had been armed we would all know who was hailing him through the window.
Let's hope that tourism isn't hindered by the tongues of a few....or a tourist without a clue.
So Mike, you approve of gun-totin' tourists?
Nope, but I know they can't get them in the country either...and talk is cheap. I also know way too many people read this board to come off like idiots are a protected species.....
I thought you'd still be at Canucks...what's up?
Its not Saturday
I'll see ya then....I'll be the one sittin next to you with the rocket launcher....and the gorgeous wife.
She is gorgeous...lucky dog!
Manomanoman... you really think they were there to "screw" with your wife? Sounds like something you read in those cheesy foul s3x books or see in a really bad "b" movie. I have several good looking friends. Your story, Scorpio, is a very unlikely occurance.

Jesse, you planning on showing up at H20dogs place say... round 4am? laugh

No! Hes got a rocket launcher!
4AM...and drunk....hell I'll be hittin on Jesse!
Now theres a tourist we really need and want...drunk with a rocket launcher!
I was at work all last week - right on the beach between Ruby's and Aqua Dives. I didn't see any stunning, knock out gorgeous babes - but I did see a few trolls....
"I didn't see any stunning, knock out gorgeous babes" that's just cause you're too used to seeing stunning, knock out gorgeous Belizean girls.
Oh Simon! how you do go on!!
( in the best Scarlett O'Hara voice I could muster up)
I have to admit I was really concerned when I first read this post. We're staying at Ruby's in February on our first visit to AC. From comments here and on other sites I realize Ruby's isn't the Ritz, but it seems to me most of San Pedro is pretty safe as long as you're not foolish. Now I would be upset if I were verbally accosted outside my hotel window wherever I'm staying, but I can't help thinking - as many of you have - that there must be something missing from this story. There's usually a cause to an effect.
Posted By: CROC Re: Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/12/07 11:01 AM
So its absolutely impossible Guys on the island hit on tourists wives and daughters and then give unwanted attention when they cannot take no as an answer.

YEAHHHH RIGHT come on seen it many times on the island where guys hit on daughters and wives constantly in fact there was a post not long ago about unwanted attention on dive boats paying only attention to girls

The idea of this forum is to give accurate information and in some cases when someone posts a not so pretty picture it either gets deleted by the Mods or the locals get on and berate the poster.

I do not think that the poster is lying here I beleive fully that someone was at his window and most likely there because he was interested in his wife. whether she is stunning beautiful or a downright MONSTER it dont matter to the Belize guys if it resembles a woman thats good enough (thats not an insult to Belize guys its just the truth)

I always say if your a female overweight, ugly, got one leg, or whatever come to Belize and you will be treated like a queen and have guys hitting on you all day. the guys will think you are Miss world and thats great for the majority, HOWEVER there is also a bad side to that meaning SOMETIMES attention is given where it is not wanted be it to the daughters of visiting tourists barely legal or to wives that are friendly to local guys and the guys take it the wrong way.

Additionally I have known wives to encourage the guys flirting and this I have seen lead to all sorts of problems.

In this particular case I beleive that a guy was at his window and most likely after his wife, he was most likeley wasted and if he were not, he would not of been at the window simple as that. SECURITY should of taken care of it and he should never of made it up the stairs if security had finished he obviously needs to extend his hours until sun up.

It is obvious though he should not of included Aqua Dives in his post as he was unable to poisitivly identify the culprit and it was unfair to mention any operator.

Lets be honest here the San Pedro Business group met with the Prime Minister and begged to get some more security out here on the island and they got it in the form of BDF soldiers WHY because stuff like this happens and the good news is the island is fighting back

I am just sick of reading when people post negative things the regular posters berate and belittle them when they have every right to post there experiences positive or negative.

Croc
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/12/07 12:38 PM
I think so far we've built a replica of a Bavarian castle, with turrets, moat and everything. All on very soft sand. I think the best thing to do with this story is let it die.
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
I was at work all last week - right on the beach between Ruby's and Aqua Dives. I didn't see any stunning, knock out gorgeous babes - but I did see a few trolls....

Yes Simon I meant to say I didn't see any stunning visitors. Lots of beautiful local women. I can't believe anyone would think that there is a shortage of lovely ladies in this town.
if only it was a cypriot castle, then the wife's name could have been Desdemona.
Croc, nobody suggested the fellow was lying. Just that there seems to be a little bit of the story missing.

Yes, Belizean men, in fact men in general appreciate attention from women. Yes, some are more persistent than others. No, this is not socially acceptable.

We have tourist police for these types of episodes. The BDF won't jump in with guns ablazing because some fellow with a little too much to drink was calling somebody elses name outside a window in the wee hours of the morning.

The security man did his job and ran the guy off.

If the members on this board are making you ill, you really don't have to visit.
Originally Posted by Mikeywaz
I have to admit I was really concerned when I first read this post. We're staying at Ruby's in February on our first visit to AC. From comments here and on other sites I realize Ruby's isn't the Ritz, but it seems to me most of San Pedro is pretty safe as long as you're not foolish. Now I would be upset if I were verbally accosted outside my hotel window wherever I'm staying, but I can't help thinking - as many of you have - that there must be something missing from this story. There's usually a cause to an effect.

Hundreds, if not thousands of visitors stay at Rubies each year. It is a great budget hotel on the beach right in the middle of the action. It tends to be safe and there is security on site.

I maintain that there is most likely more to this story than has been revealed. Don't cancel your stay Rubies is a great central location with easy access to diving, snorkeling, good food and all the action.
I would like to respond to Croc's recent posting in defense of our story. Our intentions in sharing our story were certainly not to bash the island or the people who live there. As we all know, there is good and bad everywhere. Being strangers in a strange land left us feeling not only defenseless, but bewildered. The incident was certainly an isolated one in an otherwise wonderful week. Some of the respondants to the story have criticized my husbands comments regarding the way he sees me. What you said in reference to the irrelavance of his subjectivity is appreciated. I just wanted to add that there really isn't any more to the story than my husband told. In fact, knowing and realizing that I would be on a boat with nothing but men and having to shimmy into a wet suit without privacy I had the foresight to wear less revealing clothing (in other words...shorts instead of a bikini bottom) in order not to give an inappropriate signal or "tease". Our intentions were to make a dive and see the beauty of the reef. There were NO social interactions of any kind between us and the divers at the shop either before, or after. That is what is so confusing to us that is why my husband posted his original comments. We were simply looking for feedback and we appreciate any intelligent (not beligerent) comments from those who took the time to send them.
Dear Mr & Mrs Scorpio

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable visit despite one strange and frightening episode.

Now that you have this off your chest is it time to let it drop?

If not you should know that contacting the Belize Tourist Board, the Tour Guide Association and Belize Tourist and Industry Association would provide more sympathetic responses.

Without having a name of the person that harrassed you, a vague description and a hunch about where he works might not be enough information to warrant an investigation.

As one of the earlier posts suggests, this fellow might have simply overheard your names and where you were staying - it might not be an employee of the dive shop that you frequented.

Or he might have been trying to deliver something you had expressed an interest in purchasing?
Posted By: Nova Re: Victimized at Ruby's by Aqua Dive Employee - 12/12/07 04:35 PM
Or maybe it happened exactly as they said it happened!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board