AmbergrisCaye.com Home

VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole

Posted By: Marty

VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/31/12 01:10 PM

MSNBC: Originally aired on November 17th 2008, Matt Lauer visits the famous Blue Hole of Belize Barrier Reef. Joined by Fabian Costeau.
Posted By: seashell

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/31/12 01:28 PM

Well, considering the pictures they could have taken and the stories they could have told, this video was a bit lame. Nonetheless, thanks for posting it Marty.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 11/22/12 03:38 PM

DIVING THE BLUE HOLE BELIZE, Lighthouse Reef

Diving The Blue Hole, Amigos Del Mar, San Pedro

Join our guest divers Mark, Natasha and Matthew as we explore the Blue Hole and a look at resident sharks.

Lighthouse Reef, Half Moon Wall, Amigos Del Mar

Aboard Papa Changa, Amigos Del Mar. Join our guest divers Mark, Natahsa and Matthew as we work the reef for Lionfish and encounter sharks at Half Moon Wall.

VIDEO: Belize World Class Diving, Turneffe Atoll

Turneffe Atoll is the largest and most biologically diverse coral atoll in the Western Hempisphere. The marine life at Turneffe Island makes the scuba diving an adventure like no other dive destination in the Caribbean. The vastness and variety of marine life and coral formations are truly unmatched.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 12/14/12 04:39 PM

Blue Hole Named to Most Awe-Inspiring Sites by TripAdvisor

Blue Hole at Lighthouse Reef named #2 most awe-inspiring site in world by TripAdvisor. #1 is Antelope Canyon in AZ US & #3 is Angkor Wat.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 12/17/12 02:12 PM

Diving Belize, The Blue Hole 12-12-2012

Another great dive as we explore The Blue Hole with Amigos. Check out these Amber Jacks as they chillax at 140ft. Thanks for joining us on this dive Tom and Cindy.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 12/29/12 02:48 PM

The Great Blue Hole (HD)

The Blue Hole in the Belize Barrier Reef, dove in December of 2012.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 02/01/13 03:12 PM

VIDEO: Blue Hole Sharks

Diving the Blue Hole with sharks

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 04/12/13 11:54 AM

VIDEO: Skydiving into the Blue Hole, Belize

The ultimate skydive in my 21 years of jumping! Exit from 13,500 feet in PERFECT weather conditions (ie endless blue skies, puffy clouds and NO wind) with my beautiful husband and Arizona friend Ginger. I deployed at 8,000 feet so I could soak in all the exotic beauty and sublime heavenly experience. A once in a lifetime never-to-forget skydive!!! BTW, my canopy is red, black and gray, and I am the last person to land in this video. WOOHOO!

The Great Blue Hole is a stunning circular jewel surrounded by a ring of shallow luminous coral reef in the Lighthouse Reef Atoll. Measuring 1,000 feet across and more than 400 feet deep, this ocean-floor limestone sinkhole is believed to be the world's largest blue hole, made famous by Jacques Cousteau. Atolls are characterized by a large, fairly shallow lagoon surrounded by coral reefs. Only four known true atolls exist in the Western Hemisphere, and of these, three reside in Belize: Turneffe, Lighthouse and Glovers.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 04/25/13 11:58 AM

VIDEO: Blue Hole, Belize

7 minutes from a dive done in March 2006. The blue finned diver had just been certified a week before, and I myself have only got 3 or 4 times in the 13 years since I was certified at 14. Her weight belt was modified between day 1 and 2 of diving and she didn't notice, sank too quickly, and was weary of using her BCD because of equipment problems the day before (it got stuck inflating). She seemed to succomb to nitrogen narcosis in her panic and was eventually noticed by the Divemaster and taken up to our safety stop. Reviewing the video, it should've been clear to everyone, but I didn't realize myself due to my inexperience and excitement/worry about being down so deep. As it turns out, neither of us should've been allowed on this deep dive, but that's the way things go with 3rd world dive shops sometimes.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 05/26/13 12:02 PM

Blue_Hole_web.mov from Belize Diving Services on Vimeo.

VIDEO: Blue Hole

Hello Divers! If you have ever wondered what it was like to go and see the Great Blue Hole of Belize. Take a look at this quick video. We run out there three times a week and love it! We would like to thank Slightly Stoopid for allowing us to use their track, "Ska Diddy", videographers Marty O'Farrell and Tony Rath, Astrum Helicopter tours of Belize, and most of all our all divers who make showing up to work a joy!

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 08/05/13 10:57 AM

EXPLORING MYSTERIOUS BOTTOM OF BLUE HOLE (+VIDEO!)

The Mysterious Belize Great Blue Hole is a large underwater hole off the coast of Belize. It lies near the center of Lighthouse Reef, a small atoll 100 kilometres (62 mi) from the mainland and Belize City. The hole is perfectly circular in shape, over 300 metres (1000 ft) across, 3140 feet circumference and 125 metres (410 ft) deep.

It was formed as a limestone cave system during the last glacial period when the sea level was 400 to 500 feet below present time and was dryland. Last glacial period began about 120,000 years ago and end about 15,000 years ago. Reaching the maximum extension 26,500 years ago. At the end the ocean began to rise, the caves flooded, and the roof collapsed. Believed to be the world’s largest feature of its kind, the Great Blue Hole is part of the larger Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System, a World Heritage site of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

The hole itself is the opening to a system of caves and passageway that penetrate this undersea mountain. In various places, massive limestone stalactites hang down from what was once the ceiling of air-filled caves thousand of years before the end of the last Ice Age 15,000 years ago. When the ice melted the sea level rose, flooding the caves. This process occurred in stages. Evidence for this are the shelves and ledges, carved into the limestone by the sea, which run the complete interior circumference of the Blue Hole at various depths. The Blue Hole is a “karst- eroded sinkhole." It was once a cave at the center of an underground tunnel complex whose ceiling collapsed. Some of the tunnels are thought to be linked right through to the mainland, though this has never been conclusively proved. The mainland itself has many water-filled sinkholes that are connected to caves and tunnels. Notable are the large population of sharks such as lemon, black tip, reef, hammerhead, and bull sharks.

Mysterious and legends always have been around the Belize Blue Hole. It’s the kind of underwater geology that inspires speculation about aliens creating geometrically perfect anomalies, mermaids and monsters living in darkness.

I explored the bottom of the Blue Hole perimeter (3,140 feet circumference). To do this I dove down twice, reaching the depth of 375’ feet which took 4 to 5 hours of diving each day.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 09/05/13 11:04 AM

The Great Blue Hole Belize, Central America Aerial Tour with Tropic Air

The Great Blue Hole is a large submarine sinkhole off the coast of Belize. It lies near the center of Lighthouse Reef, a small atoll 70 km from the mainland and Belize City. The hole is circular in shape, over 300 m across and 124 m deep.

Diving the Great Blue Hole from Belize Diving Services on Vimeo.

Diving the Great Blue Hole

Hello Divers! If you have ever wondered what it was like to go and see the Great Blue Hole of Belize, take a look at this quick video. We run out there three times a week and love it! We would like to thank Slightly Stoopid for allowing us to use their track, "Ska Diddy", videographers Marty O'Farrell and Tony Rath, Astrum Helicopter tours of Belize, and most of all -- our divers who make showing up to work a joy!

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 09/12/13 11:48 AM

Diving the Blue Hole in Belize from SearchLikeThat on Vimeo.

Diving the Blue Hole in Belize

The Great Blue Hole is a large submarine sinkhole off the coast of Belize. It lies near the center of Lighthouse Reef, a small atoll 70 km (43 mi) from the mainland and Belize City. The hole is circular in shape, over 300 m (984 ft) across and 124 m (407 ft) deep.It was formed during several episodes of quaternary glaciation when sea levels were much lower. Analysis of stalactites found in Great Blue Hole shows that formation took place 153,000; 66,000; 60,000; and 15,000 years ago.As the ocean began to rise again, the cave was flooded.The Great Blue Hole is a part of the larger Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System, a World Heritage Site

Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 09/12/13 11:55 PM

Really? 76 degrees? It feels more like 65.....Maybe it's my age and fair weather attitude....However, I thought it was much colder down there..... Brrrrrr.....

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 03/05/14 11:15 AM

The Egg, Blue Hole, Belize, Feb. 2013

The effects of pressure on an egg at 130 feet.

Diving the Great Blue Hole in Belize

My dive in the Great Blue Hole in Belize. We went down to 130 feet before making a slow ascent back up to the reef and the surface. 27 minutes.

Belize - Blue Hole

At 140 ft

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 04/21/14 11:25 AM

Tropic Air Blue Hole Tour

Book your tour with Tropic Air today and see the Blue Hole of Belize the way it was meant to be seen, from the air.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 06/24/14 11:39 AM

Blue Hole Adventure Day, June 17, 2014

Thanks to Guest Diver Darrell Anderson for contributing video. Thanks for choosing Belize as your diving vacation destination.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/20/14 08:20 PM

Video: Belize Blue Hole

Great video of scuba diving the Great Blue Hole. With some textual explanations along the side. 4min 41sec.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/21/14 10:12 AM

The Great Blue Hole: Diving into an Incredible Underwater Sinkhole

My adventure from sky high to ocean deep, to see Belize’s amazing blue hole.

This is the Great Blue Hole in Belize, a plunging 124 m drop in the middle of a shallow reef. In 1971, Jacques-Yves Cousteau visited the hole with his ship, the Calypso, and declared it to be one of the top ten scuba diving sites in the world.

In December 2012, I traveled to Belize to see it.

This is my trip in photos.

I found out there are two ways of getting to the Great Blue Hole.

The first way is to take a boat there.

But the classic photo — the giant eye in a sea of turquoise — well, that can only be seen from the sky.

I had no idea which to choose. So I did both.

I went looking a plane that would fly over the Great Blue Hole, but it wasn’t so straightforward. I walked the entire city of San Pedro and couldn’t find any company offering a flight tour.

So on the morning of Christmas Eve, we took a chance and showed up at the local airport.

We chartered our own private plane to take us out to the Great Blue Hole. It was $544 for a 8-seater plane, except, there were only 4 of us.

In less than half an hour, we were aboard the plane with our pilot.

We took off over the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest barrier reef in the world after the Great Barrier Reef.

After 20 minutes across the Caribbean Sea, we were over Lighthouse Reef and spotted the Great Blue Hole.

We circled the hole several times, from the left and right so both sides of the plane could get a good look.

The money shot.

It was awesome and an incredible sight to behold. But after 10 minutes, we ran out of the time we paid for the plane. We turned around and headed back for shore.

Two days later, I decided I couldn’t leave without touching the sacrewaters of the Great Blue Hole.

So I signed up for a scuba diving trip.

It was a miserable, nausea-inducing, bumpy two-hour boat ride.

Once you’ve reached, the sheer size of the Great Blue Hole makes it difficult to tell that you’re actually there.

Excitedly, everyone geared up and jumped into the water.

The dive begins with a steep vertical descent into darkness.

The interior of the blue hole is shaped like… basically, not what you had in mind.

At around 32 m deep, you’ll come upon the world’s largest underwater stalactites.

I descended further to a depth of 45 m. This is 5 m past the absolute depth limit for recreational dives.

On deep dives like this, the nitrogen you breathe has the same effects as alcohol.

The divemasters reported that at these depths, they’ve had people taking their masks off, removing their regulator from their mouths, wanting to go deeper and deeper, or cut themselves from touching the stalactites. Obviously, going to the full depth of 124 m is not possible, but that apparently doesn’t stop some people from trying — with fatal consequences.

A diver in my group started laughing uncontrollably with the regulator in her mouth, coughing out bouts of bubbles. The divemaster broke her off from the group to resurface.

And then things started going weird for me too. I started experiencing vertigo, losing sense of what’s up and what’s down. I looked at my dive buddy. He looked 3 m tall, like a giant.

Shit.

I looked around, and I realized we were the only ones left at 45 m. The divemaster was frantically signaling for us to ascent. And we so did.

This is my “that was some scary shit” face.

Fun’s over. Because of the depth and difficulty of the dive, it was kept short.

A new personal depth record — 145 ft! Also a new human stupidity record.

One of the problems with our dive was the ridiculous number of divers on the trip. Many were beginner divers with less than a week’s experience.

We had at least 15 divers to a single divemaster. It was reckless, dangerous and poorly managed.

But when all is said and done, the Great Blue Hole is truly an amazing place.

Flying over and diving into the Great Blue Hole are two completely different experiences — I would actually advise doing both.

How much did it cost me?

$1211, give or take.

The breakdown

$720— Flight from San Francisco to Belize City (round-trip)
$40 — Taxi & ferry from Belize City to San Pedro
$136— Chartering a private plane to the Great Blue Hole
$215 — Scuba diving trip to the Great Blue Hole
$100 — Accommodation & food for 2 days

Prices are per person. This is a reasonable estimate, and you can do it for much less.

Blog courtesy of Derek Low

Diving the Great Blue Hole of Belize from Jason Heaton on Vimeo.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/24/14 11:30 AM

Blue Hole

The Blue Hole Helicopter Flight - 50 miles off the coast of Belize City, Belize. Filmed with an early model GoPro.

Snorkeling the Blue Hole, Belize 2015

GoPro video of snorkeling at the Blue Hole in Belize! I

Blue Hole Dive-Belize

A dive in Belize's famous Blue Hole, numerous sharks. The little cave system is between 130 and 140 feet. The dive computer is not happy about this.

I Belize I can Fly........

P2V+ over the Blue Hole...

150 Foot Dive Blue Hole Belize AND diving in the BLUE HOLE CAVES!! NOT for the inexperienced!!!

Day 2 Dive 1 Blue Hole Captain Eduardo Drop off 2:00 Stalagmites 3:45 Picture 9:00 Shark 9:35 - Shark 9:35 - Great shot 10:30 - Shark 10:55 - Shark Group 11:15 - Clam 13:15 - Cave 13:40

Greg and I did this dive at the blue Hole on July 16th 2015. We were part of a group of about 12 people however we hired the captain of the boat as our private guide. Greg and I have deep diving training and wreck specialty. This dive was to 150 feet but the best part of the dive was what 99.9% of the people who dive the blue hole NEVER get to experience. Our guide took us into one of the many caves that are hidden by the stalactites and stalagmites. This was an incredible experience!

Diving the Blue Hole with Amigos del Mar Dive Shop

Blue Hole Belize from Wayne B. Brown on Vimeo.

The largest ocean sinkhole in the world. The Great Blue Hole

World Heritage site Blue Hole, Belize, Central America from 1500 feet.

CHOPPER VIEWS OF THE BLUE HOLE

Diving The Great Blue Hole

The complete dive. Keep watching the ascent for some sharks that circle us from the abyss.

The Great Blue Hole in Belize seen by airplane

Flying over the Great Blue Hole in Belize by airplane. The flight lasts 1 hour approximately, taking most of the time to go there and back and 10 minutes flying in circles around the Blue Hole. Views are impressive the whole time, since you can enjoy the natural beauty of the Mesoamerican Coral Reef with so many tons of blue and green colours, while getting to know this natural wonder of the Caribbean. In the flight back, you can also see a wreck ship in the banks of the reef.

Drone video, Great Blue Hole

Posted By: elbert

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/24/14 12:16 PM

Wow , Best Blue Hole report I've ever seen.
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/24/14 06:41 PM

Amazing
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/24/14 08:29 PM

Elbert - you are spot on! Awesome - intriguing - beautiful AND SCARY AS HELL!
When I saw him in the water with a Nitrox tank I couldn't believe my eyes. Then I see two compressed air tanks and gave a sigh of relief
I'm sorry they didn't document how many decompression stops he made. AND they should say "never try this at home!"

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/27/14 11:20 AM

Dji Phantom 2 over Belize's Great Blue Hole

Aerial footage of the Great Blue Hole after our Great Blue Hole dive with Huracan Diving and Itza Lodge!

This was before I got FPV on my Phantom 2, so I unfortunately couldn't see what I was filming at the time.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 08/20/14 11:11 AM

Specialty Deep @ "The Blue Hole" Belize

In this video we look at deep diving and some of the things to consider while under the water at different depths and times throughout the deep dive.

We see footage from "The Blue Hole" dive site in Belize side by side with the dive profile graph and air integrated dive computer (VT3) data.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 08/26/14 11:41 AM

Great video… high resolution...

BlueHole-HD-Vimeo 720p

Multicam edit of the videos taken by Claudio and Christophe during the dive at the Great Blue Hole on 11/11/2013 in Belize

Great Blue Hole - Sky Diving in Belize(グレートブルーホール スカイダイビング ベリーズ)

Skydiving and Scuba Diving the Great Blue Hole in Belize

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 11/26/14 06:11 PM

The Great Blue Hole, Belize

Dive trip to the Great Blue Hole in Belize on November 17, 2014 with Frenchie's Diving on Caye Caulker.

Interesting how they superimpose their depth gauge in the right corner of the image.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 02/16/15 10:46 AM

Belize Blue Hole Scuba Dive 2014

One off the bucket list. Belize Blue Hole scuba dive 2014. The Blue Hole is one of the largest sink holes in the ocean. One of the top dive sites in the world. The hole is over 300 feet deep. As a sport diver, we are only allowed to go to 130 feet for 7 minutes and then slowly ascend for a total dive of about 50 minutes. At 130 feet in an open water cave, it is really dark, so the video really doesn't show how massive the cave is with all its stalactites. We were on a 3 tank dive and went to other dive sites during the day. What you see is about 3 hours of video condensed down to 4 minutes. This video was made for friends and family to enjoy.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 04/14/15 11:57 AM

Belize Blue Hole and Cruise Ship

Helicopter flight with Astrum Helicopter in Belize. Our flight took us over Belize City enroute to the Blue Hole. On the return, we flew over our cruise ship, the Emerald Princess.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 07/08/15 12:18 PM

What’s it like to dive the Belize Blue Hole?

The Belize Blue Hole is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in Lighthouse Atoll Belize. It is visited by countless tourists every year who scuba dive it to enjoy the breathtaking reef and the marine delights it has to offer. What’s in there? What do divers see when they descend into the hole?

The good folks of Belize Diving Services in Caye Caulker, Belize have put together an incredible video tour of this Belizean national treasure. Grab some popcorn, grab a seat, and come along for the ride!

The day starts early

A round trip boat ride to the Belize Blue Hole is about 50 miles each way from Caye Caulker, Belize and takes about two hours each way depending on the weather conditions. To get to the Blue Hole the boat will have to pass four reef walls. The first of these walls is just offshore Caye Caulker where the reef breaks and creates a natural channel (1). The dive boat will then travel on the open sea for about an hour until it gets to Turneffe Atoll, cross a reef to get inside the atoll (2), meander through Turneffe Atoll a bit, exit it (3), cross open seas again, and then enter the Lighthouse Reef atoll (4) where the Belize Blue Hole is located.

Whew!

Good!

As you can tell that’s a lot of reef walls to cross. Some of them can be quite shallow. The slightest miscalculation could mean disaster, hence the reason the boats leave early in the morning. Don’t forget they must cross all the reefs a second time as they return home, and the best and safest way to do that is before sunset.

BUT, the ride is absolutely breathtaking.  You cross over a dozen amazing shades of blue, get entertained by friendly marine life, and whizz off to the great beyond really proud of yourself for doing what only a few people in this world will get the chance to do — visit the Great Belize Blue Hole!

Now we’re at the Blue Hole, what next?

Once the boat is safely at the Blue Hole, usually a first of several dive stops for the day, the divers will suit up, the dive master will give a dive briefing, and the dive will begin.

BD8

Divers descending into the Belize Blue Hole – vimeo.com/112135116

The Belize Blue Hole is about 480 feet deep. That’s about 50 stories high. The Belize Blue Hole once sat above sea level. The giant stalagmites and stalactites inside the hole give evidence of their former dry life.

BD6

A cave lined with stalagmites and stalagtites appears at about 90 feet below sea level. -vimeo.com/112135116

A cave appears in the side wall at around 90 feet below sea level.  Sometimes you can see sharks circling around.

BD7

The rim of the Belize Blue Hole is lined with colorful corals populated with every imaginable color of marine life. Click to watch the full video below and check it out for yourself.

Source

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 10/19/15 11:48 AM

Blue Hole Belize

World Heritage site Blue Hole, Belize, Central America from 1500 feet.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 11/09/15 11:26 AM

Flying over the Blue Hole

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 12/20/15 11:01 AM

Ramon's Village Divers Blue Hole Adventure Day

Special Thanks to Marlene Urrea for sponsoring this dive film episode. Here's a look at our day with three dives and a visit to Half Moon Caye World Heritage Site home of the nesting Red Footed Boobies.

AMIGOS Diving The Blue Hole Belize

This Virtual Dive episode sponsored by Guest Divers Mario, Camila, Josefina Escudero and Carlos Huerta from Santiago Chile. Thanks for your support and for choosing Amigos Del Mar Belize as your dive vacation destination.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 09/05/16 11:44 AM

Exploring Belize Blue Hole- Formations & Sharks

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 04/06/17 08:01 PM

The Great Blue Hole and Half Moon Caye

Drone video of the beautiful Blue Hole in Belize and Half Moon Caye. Courtesy of Amigos Del Mar

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 03/12/18 12:25 PM

Exploring The Mysterious Belize Blue Hole

The Great Blue Hole is a large submarine sinkhole off the coast of Belize. Join Robbie, of Chuck and Robbies Dive Operation in Belize as he leads divers into the abyss. This group ventures deep into the Great Blue Hole and explores the mysterious caverns 46m below.
Posted By: klcman

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 03/13/18 01:44 AM

Copyright block......no longer viewable ( at least in the US)

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 02/16/19 01:15 AM

Scuba Diving in Belize - The Great Blue Hole

An edit of the footage captured from my trip to Belize July 2016. The video was shot with a GoPro HERO2, extended battery, custom underwater housing with flat lens, and a light red filter. The best part of this dive was swimming through the stalactites, and the eerie descent into the unknown. We dove with the Amigos Del Mar Dive Shop, located in San Pedro, Belize.

Re: VIDEO: Discovering the Blue Hole - 05/28/19 05:54 PM

Diving Belize - The Blue Hole
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board