AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Suggestions for pic posting site?

Posted By: SeaDreams

Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 04:21 AM

Hi all -

After visiting Belize for the first time in November, we're returning in April. (Couldn't wait longer!)

I've been struggling to get our pics posted on our website, but it takes so long to get anything uploaded. After checking out the various links you've all been using to let share your trips, I'd like your input.

For a someone who's not really familiar with these services, and who has to use dial up (I know - old school, but it's REALLY expensive to get DSL where we live!) what would you suggest as one of the picture sites best to use so we could load and just put a link up?

All your experience is really appreciated!
Posted By: seashell

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 04:47 AM

My dive buddy uses Kodakshare. Unfortunately, I can't really tell you what is involved with the load, but I really wanted to speak out on behalf of someone who goes and looks at the pictures. Of all of them, I like viewing in that service best of all others I have seen.

Teenah (a board member) uses that one too. If she's around maybe she can help. Teenah?? Oh Teenah, are you back home yet?
Posted By: LaGrange48

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 05:03 AM

I use a site at photobucket.com ...upload your pics then copy and paste the link..Hope this helps
Posted By: klcman

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 05:04 AM

first of all, since you are on dialup ( didn't know that still existed wink ) whichever site you select, be sure to keep your image sizes small. Otherwise, it will be time for your next vaca to AC and you'll still be uploading!

SS's suggestoin is fine. Lotas of good sites out there. Go look at osme and see what feels righrt for you. Yahoo & flickr merged..good move. Shutterfly, Ofoto, photobucket also good.

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 05:12 AM

Isn't Ofoto now called Kodakshare??

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 05:59 AM

SS - I've been trying to base my choices on what I've viewed already... so it fits with what you've said.

LG - Another site that we'll check out to see if it fits with our limited capabilites. (Limited on both our abilities and available technology.)

klc - Living in dinosaur country does cause some predatory problems, however we've learned to live with them... just find the cave choices to be limited. However... options from everyone are giving us some daylight! laugh
Posted By: BelizeItPlease

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 05:21 PM

I really like www.shutterfly.com because if you download their tool you can set up your photos to all download and go to bed. It'll keep working on it all night. Another plus is that you don't have to sign up in order to view photos - whereas several others force you to do this. And you get your own website that you can give to people like www.BelizeItPlease.shutterfly.com (not really mine so it won't work, but you get the idea).

One word of warning, it's actually a photo ordering site, so once you upload your pictures in hi-rez, it'll only display low-rez versions, which is GREAT for sharing because they show up fast, even for those on dial-up, but not so great if someone wants to right click and use it for their own uses because there's not enough there for anything larger than wallet size.
Posted By: KYJeff

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 05:21 PM

www.flickr.com is a easy to use free picture hosting site.
Posted By: Hon

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 06:24 PM

If you are using Windows XP you can download an image resizing tool -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
- that will reduce the size of your .jpg files to make uploading pictures much, much faster. (Credit to Richard for that lead wink )

Then just pick a hosting site that you like (I picked Yahoo) and go wild! laugh

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 09:31 PM

Wow - thanks all! Lots of stuff for me to go play with now. I've got enough time before we arrive (46 sleeps!)to figure out what I'm doing and what works best.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 10:54 PM

I like yahoo.com for photo sharing. It's very basic, easy to use and it doesn't require your people enter in a password - that's the worst!

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/07/06 11:04 PM

Another reason I like the Kodakshare is because once I signed in, I now have continuous access to all the albums I've been invited to see. I can go back in any time and look at all my buddy's pics of our trips together, plus any other album I've viewed is in my own um, folder or whatever it would be.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/08/06 01:05 AM

me thinks u be right SS, Ofoto now a Kodak family memeber, just as Flickr is Yahoo.

Fav photo hosting sites are like belly buttons, or fav AC haunts........

Re: Suggestions for pic posting site? - 03/08/06 06:27 AM

wink
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board