AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 05:27 AM
Been home almost as long as I was there. Pretty sure most of the rum is out of my system but there's still a little bit of the taste of the island in my mouth. As it turns out, once a year is just not going to suffice for me anymore. Managed to find a free Friday and headed down to join the gang. Probably one of the most extravagant things I've ever done and totally and completely worth it! 54 hours of pure heaven. . .

Worked until the last possible minute Thursday and drove to LAX. Took the TACA redeye and landed at BZE just before 10 am Friday morning. Quick stop at Jet's, hopped on a Tropic flight and landed in San Pedro before 11. Met by a couple of OLD laugh friends at the airstrip. I needed a shower, pair of shorts and sandals, drink and food - and not necessarily in that order. Got checked in at Banana Beach, headed off to Papi's for lunch. First visit during Conch season - had the best seafood salad - yum. Drove over the bridge, saw the ferry still sitting in the water, sign of times gone by - mixed emotions. Stopped at Palapa - the usual fantastic view of the reef, signed in at the regular spot. It was very windy and the water was pretty stirred up so no view of fishes below.

Headed back to Banana Beach and finally got that shower. Made dinner reservations at Casa Picasso. Popped into the bar and found Roxie - big hug and the traditional rum punch - thankfully, some things never change and Banana Beach still makes the best. Chatted for a while, the limo and drivers await and it's off to BC's for more drinks. Saw Reynolds on the way out - another big hug. It's like coming home to family! Someone wanted to stop in at Pedro's Bar. Met some guy who claimed to be the owner - highly unlikely as this guy was almost a gentleman.

Dinner at Casa Picasso - absolute perfection, as always. Big hugs from Chris and Jen - After all the chatting had to have the crab cakes - and the roasted garlic, and the paella and probably way too many other things, topped off of course with the cracked coconut. Headed for home - way too full to sleep, so off on a nice long walk on the beach and wonderful conversation with good friend.

Up early, coffee, then off to George's Kitchen for breakfast. Electricity out - gotta experience that at least once a trip - so no coffee, forced to drink Belikin with breakfast. Dropped off a few supplies at the library. Hung out at the pool for a while with the old friends. Had to change rooms at Banana Beach, guess that's what ya get for planning a last minute trip during busy season, I was just glad Tim could fit me in!

Shower, back to BC's. Met a couple of boarders, saw a few others and just lurked, watching & listening. . . . Dinner at Carumba's - conch ceviche, coconut fish, way tasty! Another stop at Pedro's, more of the same. Headed over to the Political rally/celebration. Watched the dancers for a bit, watched the locals celebrating the $1 bz beers for a bit, said hi to Steve, fought the crowd to get back to the street - that was some celebration! More rum, finally off to sleep.

Up very early Sunday - saw the sun rise. Coffee, back to Banana Beach for breakfast. They've changed the Banana Beach breakfast for Sundays and it was quite yummy. Pack up the luggage, drop it off and head into town to pick up a couple of requests from home. Stroll downtown for a bit, stop by the cemetery to look for that certain grave. Coconut ice cream from Manilly's is an automatic must. Back to BC's. The locals and tourists are gathering - place is quite crowded. The chairs are there, along with the other auction goodies. The band is setting up and the Calendar Girls are starting to arrive - gorgeous, every one of them. Knew I wouldn't get to stay for the auction so left my bid in capable hands. Had the last of my rum punches. Left for one last walk on the beach and gathered the shells to add to my little shrine at home. Back to pick up the luggage, one last look at BC's - said bye to the auctioneer and headed for the airport.

Two very crowded Tropic planes back to BZE, ended up in the jump seat. Did miss the water taxi, my preferred transportation method between mainland and island. Last stop at Jet's - ladies, little advice: backs to the wall! Nice chats with those coming and going. Board TACA and homeward bound. Made it into the office Monday morning and dodged questions about the tan.

The island has a very different feel in March from the usual September visits. More people everywhere - no empty streets, crowded restaurants, full beaches - not bad, just different. As far as I am concerned, any time in San Pedro is good time. It was a short visit, but will tide me over til the next time. It was good to catch up with old friends, meet some new people and soak up the island. Still a little bit of the taste in my mouth, still a little bit of the song in my ear . . . til next time . . .
Posted By: Chloe Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 05:44 AM
Good for you Law, Belizable weekend.
Posted By: Now Danny Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 12:13 PM
Thanks for the report Law.
Posted By: Hon Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 12:17 PM
I'm green with jealousy.

The upside is that it's almost St. Patrick's Day so green is good [Linked Image]
Posted By: Barbara K Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 01:22 PM
Ah, the last minute long weekend in Belize. Been there done that. You got it bad now, cucui!
Posted By: catdog Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 01:32 PM
LOL @ Jet's..good advice!!
Glad you had the chance to do this Law! I'm partial to late summer visits too, but anytime is a great time..for sure!
Posted By: J DOG Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 02:12 PM
Great report,really got me thinking I should try a long weekend sometime!
As Capt. Jeff say's You really know how to live the dream.
Made my day! thanks Law!!
Posted By: casa de amor Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 05:13 PM
if i would have went on the "long weekend trip" i don't think i would have made it back. you are right though 1 trip to AC in a year is definitly way to long, really need to go at least 4 times a year.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/15/06 11:04 PM
Excellent trip report Law - very comical!!! So I assume the "limo drivers" are still in Paradise? Sounds like such a great time!

I LOVE those walks along the beach!
Posted By: windyw Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/16/06 02:12 PM
You go girl!! Sound like a great way to spend a weekend. And going at the last minute, priceless!! cool cool cool
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/16/06 02:31 PM
Thanks all for letting me share! laugh
Hon, darling - you look lovely green!
Barb - I would say you have no idea - except I know you do!
Casa - is four really enough?
TQ - loved my limo drivers - and my walks!
Windyw - if it was really priceless I'd go more often!
Posted By: windyw Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/16/06 02:49 PM
Law--hehehehe
Posted By: klcman Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/19/06 11:39 PM
priceless or costless? laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/20/06 02:01 AM
priceless in the costless sense! K - ever thought of going into the sugardaddy business? laugh
Posted By: RMT Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/21/06 06:49 PM
Hey Law,

Wow, you snuck a weekend in there! Thanks for the report, sounds like it was wonderful. BTW did you end up getting "your" chairs at the auction or did someone else luck out??
smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/21/06 06:52 PM
Hey, Rond! welcome home - was it wonderful? Did ya kiss the blarney stone? come across any good irish music I should know about?

I did not get my chair - but I did get lots of sun and fun. Chair reports abound on other threads. Settle in and catch up! wink
Posted By: RMT Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/21/06 07:19 PM
Ahah! I have a lot to catch up on after two weeks it seems.

Thanks, it was wonderful but I am certain the weather was not as nice as in SP! No Blarney Stone this time, did it once before and it seemed to have the desired effect! laugh
Posted By: Ernie B Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/21/06 07:31 PM
Yeah, that Dude is pretty dang old!! :p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/21/06 07:34 PM
Friends, E, OLD Friends! Plural - as in the both of youse :p
Posted By: BelizeItPlease Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/22/06 05:12 AM
Thanks for the report, brings me back to our time there - mmmhhh Manilly's ice cream... smile
Posted By: captjeff Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/22/06 06:57 PM
law nice post missed you again....
Posted By: Gela Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/22/06 09:58 PM
Gee law - a quick weekend sounds just the ticket! I could do that! laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:30 AM
Ah Capt - some day - just you wait! Got to spy out the love shack again - left ya a little note - didja get it?

Gela - only thing missing was your play list!
If you're really up for it - start thinkin Memorial Day weekend . . . wink
Posted By: klcman Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 09:03 AM
Sugardaddy Law? hmmmm not a bad idea. Never considered that as a life goal before.

But that requires 2 things: $$ and a worthy recipient. $$ is in short supply, so, to put that plan in effect, I'll need some help. So, here's the plan. Applications from all females wishing to enjoy the largesse of a sugardaddy are encouraged to send their applications in right now - accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $5000US (paypal accepted). All funds are guaranteed to be paid out over a yet to be determined timeframe on the "worthy recipient", as determined by the judging committee - ME! Applications open for as long I deem necessary.

Seems fair to me! laugh

Hey E!! Watch it with the "old" labels, bud. Rumor has it you couldnt keep up witht eh big dogs and had to "retire" by 10 PM. No? :p
That's an interesting plan, which not only redefines the sugar daddy stereotype but also reverses the roles of sweet tooth satisfaction.
Posted By: seashell Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 12:37 PM
You guys send me $5000US(paypal accepted) and I'll be pleased to find a worthy recipient and be his sugar momma.

One criteria for the sweetie to be chosen is that he must be able to stay up later than 10 pm.

ned, where are ya darling?
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 12:41 PM
Wow, I was just gonna ask, any Sugar Mommas out there? $5000 wouldn't be enough to satisfy my sweet tooth though :p
Posted By: seashell Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 12:46 PM
That's right. That's why all the guys send in $5000 and after a suitable cumulative amount has been received, a selection of the worthy recipient of my largesse will be made. At this time ned is at the top of the list but that shouldn't serve to deter anyone else from making application.
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 12:59 PM
not exactly what I had in mind, SS, and how do we know you wouldn't skip to Nirvana with the loot?
I see a scam here, you and Ned living large in Nirvana...
Posted By: seashell Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:03 PM
I'm not *in* Nirvana, SS = Nirvana. There's no scam. I will judge all applicants on their individual merits and make my decision then. ned's just such a special guy that he knows when to jump right on a great opportunity. That's why his application came in first.
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:08 PM
hmmm, now why would I want to send in moola when Ned already has the inside track, Ms. Nirvana?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:13 PM
My, but you've all been busy this morning!

Hey, K - welcome home, friend!
A guy's gotta have goals - quite the little plan you've come up with - you are creative, I'll give you that! Let me know how the application fee thing works out for ya - and once you've accumulated a sufficent amount of $$ - can I borrow $5K to apply? laugh (Oh, and E - are you listening? :p )

SS - now you know Ned is a low maintenance kinda guy -

DB - I want to "work" from home and vacation a lot - how do you do it? smile

Dogmatic - please send cheesecake!
Posted By: seashell Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:16 PM
First on the list, doesn't necessarily mean first pick. You can stay up later than 10 o'clock can't you? You dive. And you have other wonderful qualities. I'd say you could be a contender.

Don't you have the spirit of competitiveness?
Posted By: NYgal Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:17 PM
Have you received my application? wink
Posted By: seashell Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:19 PM
Geez, Ny, I'm thinking that your post was not addressed to me, correct?
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:24 PM
To me? laugh

I rarely am at home, but finally get to sleep in my own bed for a change....

I could be a contenda! laugh
Posted By: seashell Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:27 PM
MmmMmm, you could indeed. You boldly go . . .
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:37 PM
Wait!!! DB, you're taking applications now too? I'm gonna have to take out a 2nd - mortgage that is!

Could we get a chain reaction thing goin here? SS, you be DB's Sugarmomma, DB - I'll apply to you and K - ummm, Dude - you should be awake for this!
Posted By: klcman Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:41 PM
y'all are getting dangerously close to being guilty of patent/copyright infringments - any lawyers wanna become counsel and have the app fee waived ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:43 PM
NOW you're talkin! I could even reduce my hourly fee a bit for ya! laugh
Posted By: Ernie B Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:44 PM
I'll do it for $2500 (Wal*Mart training) and kick in the balance in peso's :rolleyes:
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:48 PM
E - what will you do for $2500? or should that be what wouldn't you do :p Don't you need those pesos for an unpaid bar tab somewhere??? laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Ernie B Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 01:52 PM
I walked the tab, thats why I cant go back to Mexico
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 04:23 PM
Yeah - I bet that's one of about 37 reasons :p
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 10:15 PM
I will start a fund to ensure that seash never comes back
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 10:26 PM
Ah Peter - all that grudge holding is gonna make you old(er) before your time - :p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 10:27 PM
Oh, and Clover - if you think that was bold, you really need to pop into Pedro's and have a few beers!
Posted By: Gela Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 10:35 PM
law - Memorial Day week I'll be in Panama so no can do. Am holding a ticket (not paid for) for late April - but that may just expire (but I can dream can't I?).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/23/06 10:38 PM
aaahh - the stuff dreams are made of! wink
heard u 2 have fallen for Panama! gonna havta get the scoop on that!
Posted By: seashell Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/24/06 08:46 AM
I appoint Law to be the keeper of the funds that Pedro1 is raising to keep me off the island.
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/24/06 11:50 AM
SS, let Pedro be the keeper, he would be the only one to fund it. Pedro, you are being so Simon Cowell again!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/24/06 12:49 PM
dob - what a very sweet comment smile

SS - I will gladly be the keeper of the funds - I do believe I know just the thing to do with them wink I'll check in w/ BP right away!

I'll also be the keeper of my last response to your PM, because your damn mailbox is full again! :p
Posted By: seashell Re: weekend in paradise . . . - 03/24/06 06:02 PM
Ah db . . .you are so sweet.

And Law, I just love how you get me.

In the meantime, clearing here, clearing here.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board