AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous Thank you Caye Caulker - Travellers synopsis part 2. - 12/18/01 04:19 AM
I see that someone ("Soldier Crab") recently posted my travellers synopsis from last years visit to Caye Caulker. Well, Tracy and I just got back from trip #2 and once again I can only rave about the wonderful time we had.

Thanks again to Tina (our landlady, good friend and one-time 1st runner-up beauty queen! - it was rigged, you should have won Tina) and to the gaggle of semi-resident young women she introduced us too, it was really nice to meet you all, cheers to Charlie, Jessica, Sarah's 1 & 2. Hi! to Wendy & your Mum as well Tina.

We also finally met Tina's sister Diane who just opened a great Italian restaurant - I forgot what it's called but it has bright yellow walls and it's on a corner on front street next to the hurricane bar, awesome pizza Diane, just the right amount of pizza base & delicious toppings, not to mention nightly pasta specials ....ooops! just drooled on my keyboard.

OK! personal stuff aside the island is looking great, I can't believe the transformation it has undergone in the past year. It has lost none of it's charm but has regained a lot of it's natural beauty. Palm trees are dripping with palm fronds and are loaded with coconuts, all the trash from last year has gone and the ground vegetation is plentiful and blooming.

The windward beach is wide, sandy and has many new thatch roof palapas scattered on it for anyone to relax and enjoy some time out of the sun.

The split is still a great place for a swim and sunset drink and as we were leaving the lazy lizard was building a small breakwater around the bar to increase hangout space! The sea wall at the split is still half up & half down, there is still some underwater debri left over from last years hurricane which is not really a problem, its just a shame that it can't be cleaned up (then again - you should see my street in Oakland), the fish seem to love it.

If anyone from the village council is reading this please invest in fixing up the split, it's the only quality swimming spot on Caye Caulker and it deserves to look a little better.

Tina once again organized or hooked us up with some wonderful trips and outings , highlights this year were our sunset sail with Jimmy on the Stone Crab and two amazing snorkelling tours with Carlos (his shop is sort of attached to the Sand Box bar & restaurant). Carlos was just amazing, he loves the reef, and his knowledge of the local sealife is just amazing and he delights in sharing it with you.

We did the Hol Chan tour and the Goff Caye/Manatee tour, the Manatees were awesome and Carlos shows the utmost respect to these gentle endangered mammals, but the highlight for me had to be the amount of dolphins we saw on the way to Goff Caye and on the way back, I actually got to snorkel with 4 wild dolphins, their underwater antics included clicking and squealing at me, coming within 5 feet of me to check me out and generally just casually amusing themselves while I swam in and around them - awesome, I'm smiling again.

Carlos' wife also has a great little cafe, I think it's called Peggy's anyway! just ask him where it is, if you want fresh, soft and lite bagels with cream cheese and fresh tomato or cucumber + a scrambled egg this is the best and only place to indulge ....drooling again! Americans please note, in typical British form, butter comes on everything - if you are appalled by butter on your on your bagel, just request to leave it out.

The reef was also looking really good, a lot more sea life (or maybe Carlos is just really good at finding it). If you would like to see some photos let me know and I will point you to a website with my album on it.

Thanks again Caye Caulker for a wonderful vacation, my only complaint is that reality back home is harder to deal with after every trip - Love you guys!
where did you stay? yes i'd like to see the photos and i'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get a room booked for early feb. any tips will be appreciated
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Thank you Caye Caulker - Travellers synopsis part 2. - 12/19/01 08:29 PM
Hi! Graffice,

I'm sure you will get plenty of posts from your request for accommodation in February, both Seaside Cabanas and Trends Beach front are in a great location and you will not be disappointed with either choice if you are after a "hotel". We stay at Tina's beach house and it is located right next door to the above - all on the beach! Tina rents out the house in total (3 bedrooms) or room by room (all lockable), sharing one bathroom, kitchen & living area.

My friend Lisa took some good photo's of the house and I will point you to her album when she posts it.

Tina's family also has a couple of other beach houses that might also suit your needs, just post a message for either Tina, Wendy or Diane on this site and they will get back to you via their travel agency.

You can view my album by typing (or copy and paste) the link shown below into your browser
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?collid=16957728203

good luck! you will have a great time.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Thank you Caye Caulker - Travellers synopsis part 2. - 12/20/01 06:47 PM
Goran,

I hereby declare you Honorary Ambassador of Belize!!! You and Tracy are the best kind of guests Belize can ask for. Thank you for the kind words. We really enjoy having you around on the island. You mix well with the locals and know how to get into 'go slow mode' with no problem. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip again. I know you want to see more of the world too, but next time you come to Caye Caulker, you must be guests at my home rather than me being your landlady. Thanks Tracy for the skirt, thanks James for the bottles of wine. My friends and I were all sitting on the dock one afternoon sunbathing and giggling and I thought it was the best opportunity to break them out. We really enjoyed it. Hope to see you all again soon.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Thank you Caye Caulker - Travellers synopsis part 2. - 12/21/01 08:40 PM
Awww! shucks Tina, it's YOU we have to thank. You will be welcome at our little dumpster anytime. Have an absolutely wonderful Christmas and New Year & look out for some "girlie essential goodies" from Tracy in the New Year. Cheers! Goran
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board