AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous Happy July 4th! - 07/04/02 10:12 PM
Hello American friends. Happy 4th of July to you all. I find myself up here in LA getting ready to watch the fireworks tonight and am excited as I havent done that in years.
Wishing you all a super day.
Lobsterfest bashment starts tomorrow on the island. Wishing all a super weekend.
I would like to know hot the pagent goes as my boutique Bombolulu is sponsoring Rachelle and I just wished I could be there to cheer her on.
Posted By: Mermaid Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/05/02 01:46 AM
The annual 4th of July bash is taking place at Dewey's bar today (Seaside Cabanas).

We're planning to swing by later for drinks, though we opted to miss the 'chili con carne' cook out earlier today.... Can't cook! Didn't want to poison anyone!

I think the island will be jammin for the weekend. Eventhough it is still unconfirmed whether or not Griga Boys will be jammin again this year. We hope so!

Cheers ;-)
Posted By: betito Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/05/02 10:13 PM
Griga Boys could not be on the island this year Mermaid but I am sure that Punta Rebels will get the island going!!

Make sure to brings lots of friends you all.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/06/02 07:28 PM
Well I went to the pageant last night and arrived a little late - missed the introduction of the candidates and their sports wear...

But from there on, I would have surmised that Rachel was the winner. She outdid the rest of the candidates on all counts throughout. Selene was doing a good job of holding her own too.

I couldn't have been far off with my predictions, because whenever the candidates were on stage a loud chant would ensue: "Rachel! Rachel! Rachel!"... obviously the crowd favourite.

Imagine my surprise then when she came second (first runner up)! Selene had won.

Now of all the candidates, on a personal level, I am most fond of Selene, yet, my unbiased opinion of the judgement would have placed Rachel as Lobster Fest Queen and Selene as first runner up.

I did ask for opinions of what I had missed in an attempt to justify the Selene win. A friend's opinion who was there for the entire pageant summed it up this way:

..It was a close competition between Selene and Rachel. It could have gone either way.

...She was of the opinion that Selene did a really cool 'sports wear' presentation with props - a windsurfer on wheels - while Rachel's 'sports wear' presentation wasn't as original in thought and ended rather abruptly. Rachel's interpretation of the sports presentation was simply 'sunbathing' on the beach (though she did have a few props - beach chair & umbrella).

Ok, so there you have it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/06/02 09:02 PM
putting little girls in pagents is a shame.we all know there will be bias and expectations and resentment. my little girl knows she is the best she can be every day and that she is no better than anyone else including disabled (who are never included in pagents). a mind is a beautiful thing. power to all girls.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/06/02 11:27 PM
get real. from your comment there is very little if anything in life that would make u happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/07/02 07:08 AM
Thank you all for your opinions on the pageant. I think all the girls have a lot of courage just to get up in front of a very tough audience and 'do their thing'. We can be very cruel and judgemental but most of us lack the courage that it takes to step in the limelight and expose ourselves to cheers and jeers.

Congratulations to all the girls!

Win or lose last night, they have all gained something from the experience. I was first runner up (second place) for "Miss Belize" 1987 and I still have fond memories of that event even though I was disappointed that I didnt win. I was criticized by some and applauded by others, Not everyone is always happy with the results of any pageant. But my skin is a lot tougher now which helps in my life today and so are that of the girls.

Congratulations to Selene too!

How about an update of Sat day & night dance. I'm jonesing for CC news! I miss the island....
Posted By: love the adventure Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/07/02 09:08 PM
Pagents .. Why can't we adults ever learn that if you leave kids to their own means, they will always have fun .. its only when we adults .. parents .. and outside observers get involved, that we put preasure on the kids to "compete" in a way they would never have thought to .. from any type of event .. its the adults that bring shame.

The fact that there would even be comment on which "child" should have or should have not won, in an insult, in itself, to the children.

I have watched so often at kids sporting events where the kids are having a great time until some parent starts a fist fight over a call from the referee. Or some other parent calls out to the kids .. "kill 'em .. Kill 'em.

For gods sake, why can't we just allow the kids to have a good time.

In any event there are winners and loosers of the "event" .. such is competition .. Why do adults have to get involved and make it all so ugly?

Congratulations to all the pagent girls .. regardless .. you "ALL" did a great job !!!! I hope you "ALL" had fun !!
Posted By: rastapasta Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/09/02 05:18 AM
Dearest Tina and all...i too have seen fireworks galore but really miss all of uno...heard it's been a great weekend and love all of you returning soon.... it;s been a real treat up here in north Carolina though....love you all....M
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/09/02 06:37 AM
Well, it is a good thing that I was at the pageant and three words sum it up "It is ultimately up to the judges!" I have been around for many pageants since I have hosted/helped the Miss Belize Pageants but it brings me back to the Lobster Fest Pageant on two occasions. I can remember when Lizette Alamina and Blanca were running. The crowd was cheering for Blance like hell and when the scores were added up it was Lizette that had won (much to her surpise to this day!). I had the chance to go up to the center stage this past Friday and about twenty little kids where the ones shouting Rochel's name. In the end it is up to the judges to make the decision. Thank Goodness they were not from the island since the word around might have been that the pageant was influenced.
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/10/02 01:44 AM
Charlene, one of the owners of BCs Beach BBQ in San Pedro was a Miss Belize. Anyone know which year? Maybe she would be a judge next year, just a suggestion.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Happy July 4th! - 07/10/02 06:10 PM
It was Charlene's sister Jenny Woods that was Miss Belize. Miss Universe was held in Miami that year and Wendy & I attended to give her support. Jenny lives in SP too I believe.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board