AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/16/06 04:37 PM
Does anyone know when Lobster Fest is this year?
Posted By: Auxillou Beach Suites Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/21/06 05:02 PM
Lobsterfest is traditionally the 1st weekend in July. This year that would make it July 1 & 2nd. In the absence of an official announcement, that would be my best guess.

Thanks and cheers,
Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/23/06 11:25 PM
Anyone know if it's possilbe to ship/carry back lobster? And if so, how, and how much?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/24/06 02:49 AM
Every trip I make to CC, I always - and I do mean EVERY SINGLE TIME - bring back seafood with me. I first go to the Fisheries Depot. Office in Belize City and pay for a permit to "export" seafood...I have still to be asked for one, but I do just cuz I believe it's better to be safe than sorry.

The permit then allows me to "export" up to 20 lbs. of seafood, which I can mix up between fish, conch, lobster, and a couple of other seafood items. I always do fish; and whether I do conch and/or lobster depends on which is in season when I go down.

The most important thing is that unless you buy directly from the Co-op in the city, it is advisable that you take any lobster out of the tail and have only the meat.

I generally freeze the seafood for at least one night, in small bags that I can then wrap and duct-tape in newspapers. I put 'em all in a small carry-on and off I go to the US. I have NEVER been even close to have any of my seafood confiscated from me.

While others may be able to give you their opinions, this is mine...I am batting 1.000 when it comes to bringing seafood - lobster, conch, or fish back from CC to the US.

Good luck!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/25/06 02:13 PM
Thanks so much for your tips! So you don't even put them in a cooler or anything and they are fine as far as staying fresh? That's great, I'm planning my 20lb mix as we speak!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/25/06 06:59 PM
Lobster doesn't know it is the season. They don't always come to Lobsterfest so plan the lobster party after you are sure you have some.Ditto Conch.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/26/06 05:42 AM
Will I be able to get lobster while I'm there in Feb? The last time I was down there (in March) I think we were told that lobster couldn't be sold becasue it was out of season. I hope I have better luck this time...
Posted By: Auxillou Beach Suites Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/26/06 07:31 PM
Lobster season ends Feb. 15th.

Saludos,
Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/27/06 04:54 AM
WOW thanks Wendy, I'm cutting it close. I plan to fly in to Guat. on Feb 6th and work my way to C.C. by bus, probably getting there around the 10th. I'm going to have to eat A LOT of lobster between the 10th and 15th [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lobster Fest 2006 - 01/29/06 05:43 PM
Lovin'Lobster, you said: "So you don't even put them in a cooler or anything and they are fine as far as staying fresh?"

I am fortunate to live in one of the departure cities to Belize, so I do not have connecting flights to worry about once I get to the US.

Yes, all I do is just freeze them in smaller packs, wrapped in newspapers...rather than one big bag/container. After my 2-3 hour flight from Belize, my seafood is still frozen. They last me another week, but not cuz they go bad, but because we my family and I eat it all out that week.

Hope this helps you, and good luck with it. BTW, will you bring me some? Just kidding!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board