AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: jubilee Pets - 04/10/06 07:48 AM
has anybody moved to Belize or caye Caulker with pets? Is it really as cut and dry as it says on the immigration rules. I have two reottweilers and want to make sure that everything will be in line when we move there. Thanks.
Posted By: Dane Re: Pets - 04/10/06 03:54 PM
Many folks don't have luck bringing big dogs to Caye Caulker. Notice how few there are? They often don't live long, and have traditionally not been welcome by the people.
Moving to a new country is a struggle. I note that the new next door neighbor's whole process of trying to make it here was focused around minding her two large dogs. By doing little else morning and night, she and the dogs made it for almost a year. They finally left - for the good of the dogs.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Pets - 04/10/06 05:36 PM
When we moved down here full time a few years ago I brought my Rotweiler down. First I had to get her weight down to 90lbs so her and her container were just at the weight limit. The paperwork was simple and getting her through immigration easy. By the way she died 6 months after she arrived. Rotties are NOT warm weather dogs, they dont do well here. If they are from a cold climate they do even worse. They are not used to the pest that will move in on them. Their is also a big posoning problem here, I lost another sweet dog to this fate. Locals have a different perception of dogs than you and I. Especially a large dog,alot of locals will take a machette or poison a dog that they are fearful of. I also had my sweet dog come home with her thigh sliced off by a machette. She was not a big dog. I dont mean this is an everyday occurance lots of folks here have pets and love animals, if you like me find having a dog is a big part of your life we have plenty of smart cute dogs here that would love to be adopted. We have also had 17 dogs mostly private pets poisoned since this last Christmas. It would be my suggestion if you love your dogs find them a good home that you can visit when you are in the States. Good Luck
Posted By: jubilee Re: Pets - 04/10/06 05:58 PM
I appreciate everybody's advice but I was mostly interested in the legalities. I live in southern Texas and my dogs are completely inside family pets, so as far as poisoning and the heat I will be able to protect them from that. I really appreciate your warnings so that I have a clear idea of what to prepare for. As far as leaving them, it is not possile, one is already 8 which is old for a rottie and believe it or not, there are many prejudices here on ownong a rottie and it would be impossible to find someone that wold offer them the life I want for them. Plus, the move is not permanent. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by jubilee (edited 04-10-2006).]
Posted By: Caye Connect Re: Pets - 04/10/06 06:31 PM
There really aren't any Belizean "laws" against bringing pets in. Cooper mentioned the restrictions set by airlines as well as the customs/quarantine stuff. Check out the Belize BAHA site for more info and call them for a import permit before your trip. We have come into Belize now 4 times with our dog and never spent more than 10min clearing her.

If the dogs are much larger than the airline's weight limit, your only option is to drive here (yes, via Mexico). It is long and sometimes a bit scary, but you will get your dogs here (well, with the water taxi to the island included)

As far as a dog's life on Caye, you are indeed taking risks. If you are prepared to deal with bugs, hot weather, other dogs etc., then come on down. If your dogs are used to cold weather, it might be a shock. If you are coming from a fairly tropical climate, they should do swell here.

There is no "official" vet on the island. Belize Dive Svcs does a great job working with the Belize City vets to keep them coming out here on a monthly basis, primarily for spay/neuter, but I believe they'll do some other basic surgeries/treatments as well.

We moved here in August with a 7 pound toy poodle. Flea/Tick treatment is bi-weekly. Baths are weekly. She spends most of the day indoors, with fans only. We take her for the occasional walk/run on the beach and she loves it. Your dogs will consume fresh water more than ever, so keep those 5gals coming.

And yes, dogs are poisoned here. It is a few pathetic cowards doing it. Everyone knows who it is too. It is something we "live with". See the other posts on the board for more details.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/11/06 04:30 PM
If you post your e-mail, I will be happy to share my thoughts on this topic after moving my large in door dog here from the states.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/13/06 07:03 AM
Leave those dogs there!!!! We have enough here on the island . we don't need more of those dogs here . THey are extremely dangerous to our kids. What happen it the get losse? I hope the Dog poising one here in caye poision your dog.They are doing a great job!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/13/06 11:02 PM
To KY , I agree we already have enough dogs here, and we should help them not kill them. Guess you dont care at all about the little girl that almost died last Nov, she handled a poisoned dog and was made sick by the foam coming from its mouth and had to be flown to the city. Mabe we should dish up a poisoned meal for you too!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/14/06 02:26 AM
Don't bring your dog !!!! Belizians don't like dogs and think of them as "pot lickers". BIG mistake to bring your animals with you. If you can't leave them, don't come!! I brought my dog and it was horrible for him. PLEASE don't put your beloved pet through it. It is very unpleasant for them.
Posted By: mslisa Re: Pets - 04/14/06 05:08 AM
KY, you've got serious issues man. Since how long you heart freeze ovah?

I have to agree with very funny here. Culturally dogs are seen as scavangers - no dog walkers and organic dog biscuits in Belize, chile. You ask for advantage, someone say, "Advantage fi wah?" I don't even think that would work on Belizean bugs to be honest.

I've seen folks lose dogs in the Rockies and the Nevada desert. I wouldn't wish that look of utter greif on anyone. Shelter your pooch at home, ma. It's the best thing for them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/15/06 08:49 PM
bringing dogs easy than birds well just put them on a carriage or as cargo it will take u couple of ours to cleared them and if you bring them most of the time they question is u bringing your dogs to breed so they will want to charge you extra for that.

but depends ofn the airline too if they will bring that breed of dog so u migth want to check that too.
ok.
cheers and hope big geoge and tol don't get yout dog man .
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/15/06 09:19 PM
If your dog is spayed or neutered, be sure to bring the certificate, and you won't be charged for breeding!
Posted By: jubilee Re: Pets - 04/15/06 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info, they are both spayed, so that shouldn't be a problem. As far as them getting poisoned, I feel pretty safe because they are never more than a foot away from me, my kids or my husband, have impeccable manners, and are alway leashed and have never roamed. Our house is a little away from the main part, so most people will probably rarely if ever see them. Again, thanks for the helpful info.
Posted By: Coopers Re: Pets - 04/16/06 04:00 PM
Just one final word, you dog does not have to be loose to be poisoned. The guy doing this targets dogs. They will throw poison over your fence into your yard. Big dogs are a target,if they want your dog gone it will be. The reason alot of new comers have trouble here is they think thing will be different for them, they ask advice and dont listen. My Rotweiler was 10 years old very non aggressive, never let alone off the property, she had displasia and could hardly walk. Getting her here was easy, 5 minutes at custums . I wish to god I had never brought her.
Posted By: Allie Re: Pets - 04/17/06 08:08 PM
Get an International Vet certificate 72 hours maximum, before entering and a Import permit from Baha, cost is minimal. Keep an eye on your pooch. Bad minded people don't only live in Belize. They are everywhere, horror stories abound in every community.
Allie
Posted By: ktroche Re: Pets - 04/21/06 05:48 AM
This whole email string is quite an eye opener to me. We recently visited CC and fell madly in love with the location, the weather and, MOSTLY, the people.

There are truly individuals who go around poisoning dog even when those dogs have responsible owners?!?!?

Has anyone had a POSTIVE experience with bringing animals to CC?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/22/06 04:51 AM
Quoted from the San Pedro Daily today
News Tips, Rumours,

Letters to the Editor

Apparently the town council is poisoning dogs again-there are a few packs running around (south end)
The unfortunate thing (not that it makes it any better), as with previous operations like this (if it is actually officially sanctioned (we've been given warnings in the past)), it's been people's pets that appear to have been killed, not strays. All pet owners should be aware that, if their pets are running wild, they are at significant risk. There are people that don't love your animal(s) as much as you might.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/23/06 08:03 PM
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Gandhi
Posted By: Cooper Re: Pets - 04/24/06 12:33 AM
The Village Council is not poisoning dogs here. The past council did practice this and some may still be doing it. Beto is a member of a newly formed Humane Society on the island. About 6 weeks ago he brought traps to the island tand was responsible for trapping and spay and neutering of dozens of cats, they are the ones with the clipped ears. He has said and I quote as long as I am in office their will be no poisonings by the Village Council. We now have an antidote on the island. and euthinasia drugs to put down trouble animals, contact Belize Dive Services for more info. Yes their are those here that are poisoning dogs, cats and children. IT IS ILLEGAL. fines of up to $1.000. There has also been a reward offered for arrest of anyone doing this with part of the money donated by our Village Councilman.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/24/06 06:37 AM
Damn if parents give attention to their kids... she would have had not be taken to Belize, in the first place. Second , Dogs are a problem here. Oh and about serving me a place with posion? I wil eat that after you do lee *(47 !
One thing... I have a dog. I care for him . He is my baby and if every owner cares about his do .. dog posioning will be history here .

Bu I think some people need to be living here to know reality.

Say and that is it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/24/06 09:55 PM
It's a wonder anyone would want to visit Caye Caulker with all the bad things that go on there. Poisoning animals.......stalking female tourists........talking nice to people's faces and talking bad about them behind their back......married men chasing after female tourists.........big meth and crack problems on the island......bitter people.........YUCK!! Stay away from there!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 04/25/06 03:50 AM
.....that is reality, it ain't all paradise..'never judge a book by its' cover'. Can't blame some of those guys from trying, some of those female tourist sure lead those guys on so they can write home about their one night stand in their current country of travel....and they don't care if the guy has a partner living on the island, it is a 'trophy' for them both.What I see those tour guides have it made...if they don't get one girl they bound to get the next desparate one. That is one way of spreading STDs around the world especially AIDS and Hepatitis..a nice holiday souvenir? The world is a big place...there is good and bad everywhere ...that is life and life is what you make of it!
I guess this has got off the original topic of pets....well if you have to put an animal down, then don't let it suffer. If only those animals could talk..
Posted By: annes Re: Pets - 04/26/06 01:28 AM
I bring my small dog all the time. I never let her roam free (she would be stolen) and am very cautious with her. I have had no problems except for ticks which I treat. She has never gotten sick (I prepare her food) and she travels with me on the airplane under the seat. Big dogs cannot do this. My mother brought her little dog with her for over 20 years on CC and everything was fine. She did have one dog die because she ate fishy styrofoam but that was just an accident.

I plan to live on CC when I retire and bring my dog.
Posted By: state of mind Re: Pets - 05/04/06 11:45 AM
Sounds like CC is not the place to take your prized pet. Do your dog a favor and keep him off the Island
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 05/04/06 03:35 PM
Guiness is the worst dog on the island. Perhaps in all of Central America.

(If you're reading this, sorry buddy.)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 05/04/06 09:54 PM
Which dog is Guiness? Just curious.. Those dogs just lay around in the sun what harm?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 05/04/06 10:14 PM
He's the one sleeping with one eye open in front of the Oceanside. Great pup.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pets - 05/06/06 12:06 AM
well the dog was stolen from san pedro when a game was being played cc and sanpedro and baff took it off the gate and take it home. i guess is his dog guiness he name it. but hey eveyr one in caye cualker has dem dog in the street. so what deh dog is bad not really the four legg dog deos not d o nothing is the two legs dogs and bitches you got to watch out in caye cualker for. they eat your shit and ass up the minute you make friends here.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board