AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous Letter to Village Council - 04/23/06 08:22 PM
I just wanted to take this opportunity to write a letter to the village council about the garbage disposal problem in Caye Caulker. Being aware that Easter Weekend was very busy and there was a lot of visitors.
Is their any hopes of a weekly garbage disposal program.
When is the next village council meeting?
Thank you local resident
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/24/06 06:41 AM
Yah he is realy busy doing some real busy .. he wouldn't mind reading that.. so keep it to yourself

cheers,
Posted By: Dane Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/24/06 02:04 PM
You didn't mean that this is your letter? You should write a letter on paper and drop it off at the Village Council office.
They are genuinely interested in hearing sensible ideas.
Posted By: Caye Connect Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/24/06 05:15 PM
I'm confused. Are you talking about:

A) Technical - A new garbage "disposal" system, somehow replacing the burning dump.

or

B) Cultural - Dealing with education, actual littering fines (or arrests), general street cleanup.

We all see the land and surrounding waters being used as f*cking garbage cans. In my opinion too much of the garbage doesn't make it as far as the dump to be "disposed" of, and that is the real problem.

Just like we aren't going to see a "big time marina" on Caye Caulker, we will also never see a proper garbage disposal facility. We don't need it. The dump is what it is.
Posted By: rastapasta Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/26/06 04:46 AM
Being a restaurant owner on the island I am extremely burnt out on supporting the crack heads on the island cause they are the only willing to do the job. I lived in Placencia and they had a great garbage system with trailer and it all reached the dump then .. up to the Village Council.
The guys on the island hired by the Village Council work really hard to keep up with all of the plastic soda bottles....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/27/06 03:43 AM
A garbage collection system sounds like a great idea and plan for the immediate future of Caye Caulker. Monday or Tuesday do one section of the island, Wednesday - Thursday the mid section and Friday the back section. Charge a fee to residents, business owners accordinaly and have them put their garbage by the curb on their set day for their area. Sounds simple. Employ the same cart guys to help with the service. This will eliminate the people who use the back of their own street to toss their household trash. This practise should be illegal and the individuals doing this should be fined and stopped. I and many would praise the village council if they started a garbage collection service.
Posted By: Dane Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/27/06 02:35 PM
The CCVC doesn't want to put all the poor people out of business. There was a collection service that worked out poorly. Now I put my garbage out any day with BZ$0.25 under it and it is taken away by a kid.
You need not do business with crackheads. Our system works very well.Those who pile garbage behind the house are following the social customs of their homeplace.
The trash in the street is a different problem that the cops can't change. We are changing that in the schools.
On Earth Day all the kids came out and cleaned up the island. When given plastic packs of water, many threw them down after. I took my best crew to clean up after that and give hell to the others.
Another benefit of our system is the cost.Municipal services do not pick up garbage, bill, and collect for US$0.13 a week
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/27/06 04:03 PM
I was on Caye Caulker the first two weeks of March and barely recognized the place from my previous visit (Nov. 2004). Front Street was almost completely without litter, buildings were freshly painted and nobody tried to sell me drugs. I don't know what they're doing but it's working.
The place looked great! Made me very happy to see.
Posted By: lotwm Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/27/06 06:46 PM
I agree with Dane, Many of those men and kids would not eat if it wasnt for them able to haul and pick up garbage. Also new litter trash cans have been installed all around the island.. If the tourist would use them no problem and I think what started this was the big Easter weekend and all toursits.. Not saying we all do that. But just a point. Also I have been going there for 10 years and it has never looked better and I always see the city crews working hard in the hot sun. And always more than helpful if our teams need help in any area..
Posted By: AlJ Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/27/06 07:25 PM
As a tourist, I liked the Betta No Litta signs around the island. I was also impressed at the number of people raking the street and area around them. In the parts where we were, the island was very clean.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/28/06 03:20 AM
Have any of you walked the beach lately? Guess I should put a quarter in every plastic bottle.......
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/28/06 07:10 AM
I will be rich! Damn goo a head...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/28/06 05:49 PM
Obviously,

the last two posts seem to have something againts the village council or its members. I can remember three years ago the streets were never raked, the beaches never raked and the dump was crawling onto the airstrip. This is not the case at the moment. Furthermore, over the last four months the Council has lighted the scoccer field, painted the school, provided water to all of Ms. Petty's neighbourhood (about 40 households), filling all the streets in Bahia Puesta del Sol for the lesser advantaged residents of the island (about two hundred lots). I understand in the pipeline are a tourist information across the water taxi office and a ferry to cross the split. All this is being done with no help from the Government of Belize. Perhaps the last two people need to step up to the plate and run for office the next time around. I would give you my vote if you are willing to work for free, hear critcisms and have people knock on your door all the time while still having to make a living with a real job. Be part of the solution and not part of the problem/criticism.
Posted By: Auxillou Beach Suites Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/28/06 10:41 PM
Caye Caulker is a clean village. This is in no small part thanks to the work of the Village Council.

There are certainly hot spots such as the basketball court where it doesn't matter how many times its cleaned the next day it looks the same, but this is in no way indicative of the rest of most of the village.

Festivals and festive weekends such as Easter and Lobsterfest call their fair amount of garbage but this is due to the event and not a normal part of island life. Its usually cleaned up as quickly as possible after the event.

Thanks and cheers,
Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites
Caye Caulker, Belize

[This message has been edited by Auxillou Beach Suites (edited 04-28-2006).]
Posted By: lotwm Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/29/06 03:21 AM
Amen Wendy. Again I been coming for over 10 years and never seen the island look nicer. Everyone takes care of their places and the village council does wonderful.. New cans for trash posted and I see them always working on the beach and every where. Again like Wendy said when there is special big events like everywhere there is more trash and then it is picked up after as soon as they can get it all done.. But are working to get it done.

[This message has been edited by lotwm (edited 04-28-2006).]
Posted By: rastapasta Re: Letter to Village Council - 04/30/06 12:29 AM
wow rasta pasta... let's not use this medium for trashing one another, if it's personal...well.... if you read the last sentence I gave the workers of our village KUDOS but an organized system will help to make sure garbage goes where you believe it's going to and not dumped any where in between the village council in Placencia had a great system intact each area's differnt days and business's would pay a likkle more depending on the amounts. Since Barry Bowencame out with the plastic bottles they are littering everywhere....it's not an easy job to keep a village clean ey?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to Village Council - 05/03/06 08:11 PM
Was along the back street and the smell of foul garbage coming from a few empty lots. lots of individual bags of household garbage. I guess that is where the kids throw the bags of garbage they get $.25bz for????????
this is why they need a proper garbage collection system and disposal. Eliminate these kinds of problems. Yes, they have made improvements, but considering there is more people living here, they need to have a system in place for garbage, water etc... The North Island does not have a dedicated dump site, I asked the village council. It is being planned, so in the meantime, where will the garbage go? Electricity or not, people will need to dispose of the garbage, You have to pay taxes on your lot on the North Side. Are you allowed to burn it, or do you pay a kid or adult to carry it over to the next side dump by airstrip. OR do you walk it to the back of the same street you live on and leave it to pile up and fester and burn it once a week or whatever. These are important issue's that need to be addressed.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to Village Council - 05/04/06 04:30 AM
for info on people caye caulker is a village and for a village in belize [#%!] me caye cualker will be the most advance village there is in the country i will say so why not give us a clean village. well reason it's own people trash it simple. so stop complaining and teach your kids where the garbage goes. period.cleanes starts at home. village council village council if it is to dirty well dam it go to your [#%!] city and done. if you move some where that means you are willingly to live that all the means and ressources they have there to offer period so you are here so stop [#%!] bitching. or go back where you come from same thing people tell latinos in us. if you going to bitch go where you come from and bitch there aight. amen.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board