AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: WADEnVegas Moving to Caye Caulker - 05/11/07 07:50 AM
I will be relocating to Caye Caulker in two years. Have made two trips there in the past year. Have been all over the Caribbean and i feel yours is the best for me.

Over the next year i will be spending a few days every month. Then as the final year comes closer i will be there every other week.

What tips, warnimgs do you have for me? What items do you find hard to get locally? Clothing, shampoo, electronics?

I will be bringing a small boat.

I have friends in Belize city and work in Las Vegas with his brother.
Posted By: Caye Connect Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 05/14/07 04:56 PM
Next time you are here, buy an expat a few beers and I'm sure they'll be happy to talk your ear off. Posting the 100 or so tips/warnings would take too much time.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 05/14/07 05:54 PM
Uh... THEY need to be buyin' YOU a drink for that! :P

Posted By: Cooper Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 05/14/07 09:37 PM
If you feel this is the place you want to be all that you need should already be here. Time,patience and a sense of humor will give you all the other answers.
Posted By: WADEnVegas Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 05/15/07 08:52 AM
Be there next month for a couple of days. I will be more than happy to order up a few Belikins! Thanx for the reply........
Posted By: elly Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 05/18/07 04:32 PM
Im planing to moved in CC with my daughter to start a new life, i want to know if theres any school for her. and a job for us to survive... sad to say this is not a pleasure qustions, but i hope someone have any idea that could help me. thank you
Posted By: dabunk Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 05/18/07 08:51 PM
If you even have to ask those question you will not make it.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 05/18/07 08:58 PM
Sad but true.
Posted By: keycocker Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 07/05/07 10:14 PM
I brought two boats- big mistake. Costs a fortune compared to buying locally and will be an albatross in your early days on the Caye.For many the unexpected problems of transport through Mexico,duty,launching, mooring,etc. become the central hassle of the whole experience of moving. You will need those resources to set up on the Caye. They will be spent on your boat.
On the bright side : Most such boats are sold out soon to locals for pennies on the dollar. Buy one of those a bit later in the moving process.
Posted By: Cooper Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 07/06/07 04:58 AM
Hey Dane,
God(I was going to correct this but thought it to funny) to hear from you, we all have regrets about what we post at times. I never do, I usually wake up in the morning regretting the one barrel, or the misspelled words, you would be surprised to know how many people miss you on the board. You know more than most folks, Always good advice.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 07/07/07 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by keycocker
I brought two boats- big mistake. Costs a fortune compared to buying locally and will be an albatross in your early days on the Caye.For many the unexpected problems of transport through Mexico,duty,launching, mooring,etc. become the central hassle of the whole experience of moving. You will need those resources to set up on the Caye. They will be spent on your boat.
On the bright side : Most such boats are sold out soon to locals for pennies on the dollar. Buy one of those a bit later in the moving process.

This is good to know, because I was thinking the same thing.
Posted By: mslisa Re: Moving to Caye Caulker - 07/10/07 01:59 AM
Elly, are you in the states? You need to either have cash reserve back home or start a business to survive in Belize. Most jobs are in tourism pay $2.50USD an hour - if that. If you run a business who have to have balls of steal (both men and women) given the corruption and bureaucracy that goes on. I'm totally serious. Taxes are high, cost of living high, and many things to come by are hard fought.

The education system is not good (administrative mismanagement, corruption (again!), poorly paid educators, and nothing is subsidized by the state). The poorest families have to pay for school fees and supplies like anyone else. You're better off home schooling your child in Belize.

Plan it out, woman! Go back for an extended stay with your baby a few times. Everyday life in Belize is a whole other trip.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board