AmbergrisCaye.com Home

REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caulker

Posted By: ktofl

REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caulker - 06/20/07 06:39 PM

Hi everybody. I live in cancun right now. Im a reggae & dancehall DJ and cancun sucks. Does anybody know where I can find good reggae parties in mexico/belize/guatemala??
Im writing here because i read that in caye caulker there is reggae music (I do not mean that they play only Bob Marley if you know what i mean ;-))
I would be happy if somebody could help me..
greetings from cancun, Martin
Posted By: mslisa

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caulker - 07/10/07 02:45 AM

Martin,
You're hard pressed as there are other local DJs on Caulker and it's a small village. You might be better off trying San Pedro, but the scene is a bit wack (rich white tourists that want to hear La Isla Bonita techno remixes all night and talk about their boats).

Hmmm...now Antigua (Guatemala) has several clubs, but again this is a small town and local DJs to compete with. In Guatemala City there's more spots, but many are dangerous; dudes often come armed (not just bouncers and yes even where they play reggae). Guatemala is NOT Cancun! Also research Queztaltenango, Guate (aka Xela) - there's a large foreign volunteer community there and lots of hippie-types that dig reggae.

Posted By: SP Daily

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/10/07 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by mslisa
You might be better off trying San Pedro, but the scene is a bit wack (rich white tourists that want to hear La Isla Bonita techno remixes all night and talk about their boats).

You are reall y full of S--T! Lots of good reggae in San Pedro!!!
Posted By: ida_y_vuelta

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/10/07 04:08 AM

Jesse... i think it was the places of choice that that person went to! b/c i recall partying with locals and hearing LOTS of reggae, reggaeton, hip hop, dancehall, punta... or am i missing something?!?!!

Martin... there's lots of places in SP... big daddy's, wet willes and deja vu just to name few! doesn't hurt to ask around if they need someone! big daddy's kinda reminds of the after hours party's in Canada they go until the last person leaves and USUALLY ONLY play reggae and dancehall! TRUSS u got some options...

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/13/07 08:04 AM

Martin, these are white dudes I think offended by my remarks (although true). Nope, I did not like San Pedro and I'm a Rastawoman who looks like the people from there, not the tourists. Have these dudes ever set foot in San Pedrito? Reggae and dancehall flows there too...and poverty...and despair, but not many 'tourists' see that or refuse to.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/13/07 06:55 PM

And you have turned this conversation into a race issue - so you must be a foreigner since most people here don't notice colour.

Jesse's son is a TRUE rastafarian - he doesn't just "look like" one.

Yes, we have all been to San Pedrito and we all know folks that live there.

Poverty is a fact of life in most places in the world - but the only despair I tend to see around here are alcholics and drug addicts looking for a quick fix. Again, another issue that you will find in most towns in the world.

There are quite a few cool spots that play reggae here, also techno mixes, good ole country music and some great latino beats.

It's one thing to not particulary like a certain place - but that should not be a reason to attempt to make personal insults against other members of this board - or to assume that they don't live in certain subdivisions.

In case you hadn't noticed the "white" population of Ambergris Caye is constantly working hand in hand together with the indiginous Spanish population and the newly settled mainlanders to improve the quality of life, educational systems and health systems on this island so that those that are less fortunate can enjoy better services and living conditions.

Posted By: ida_y_vuelta

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/14/07 04:27 AM

right on amanda! and very true!

mslisa... u really shouldn't just assume what ppl are and where they have been or even where they come from, we all have our own stories! and u've turned this into a racial thing for no reason and not everyone on this board is just white! we all love the culture of Belize which is why we have joined this board! and i can tell u i have been to san pedrito and my fiance even lived there! i kno many other ppl that have traveled thru the small villages thru out belize too! and this isn't the only place in the world that suffers with poverty!

either way... Belize is a beautiful country and there are a lot of beautiful ppl there of all races and to get back on topic there is a lot of reggae/dancehall/reggaeton there but really depends on where u hang out!
hope u find what ur looking for martin!

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/15/07 04:54 AM

Amanda,
You misspelled *indigenous* and the Spanish are NOT indegenous to Belize, the Mayan folks are. The Spanish as well as the British brought African slaves, then the Garifuna came who migrated north from Honduras; Afro Carib people of Arawak and African descent. The Spanish colonized the country as part of Guatemala, then that portion of stolen land was given to the British and the country was re-named British Honduras under colonial rule. After independence in 1981 it became Belize.

I wish things were often not about race. Economics is entirely connected to race within Belize, just as it is in the US and who has the resources in the US? Black people? There are 12% of us here and yet we make up the largest percentage of the population (Creole and Garifuna combined) in Belize, but how come most the businesses on Pedro are owned by foreigners? If you can't answer me that, ask a brother or sister working for one of them.
Posted By: elbert

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/15/07 03:30 PM

I love the local word for white women 'Clearskin gal', when I first heard it I noticed how transparent they really where.
Lots of good music and choices on the island ,we even have a world class recording studio.run by a clearskin dude.
“Well, in Belize we have Spanish, Mestizos, Creoles, Garifuna, Mayan, Mennonites, Arabs, East Indian, British, Mopan, Gringos, Ketchi and Yucatec all living in a 6000 square mile area. And for hundreds of years we have been mixing like a box of crayons in the Caribbean sun, creating no majority and no minority. Who’s going to throw a stone at whom?”

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/15/07 05:05 PM

Ha well said Elbert.

For those who have not been fortunate enough to have lived in Belize all their lives - we must have tolerance.

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/15/07 05:12 PM

I wish things were often not about race. Economics is entirely connected to race within Belize, just as it is in the US and who has the resources in the US? Black people? There are 12% of us here and yet we make up the largest percentage of the population (Creole and Garifuna combined) in Belize, but how come most the businesses on Pedro are owned by foreigners? If you can't answer me that, ask a brother or sister working for one of them.

San Pedranos are decendents of the Spaniards. San Pedranos own a large number of businesses on this island including the shipping companies, gas and petrol companies, cable tv, taxi services, water taxi services, hotels, dive shops and gift shops/boutiques.

The island has only recently (15 years or so) had a large influx of mainlanders and foreigners - who in turn have identified niches in the service industry and built accordingly.

The biggest real estate developer on this island is a San Pedrano, and 2 of the larger new developments are Belizean owned by older Belize City families.

Get your facts straight - or better yet, stick with what you know.

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/15/07 05:15 PM

Amanda,
You misspelled *indigenous* and the Spanish are NOT indegenous to Belize, the Mayan folks are.

Here in Belize we read and write English. I am unsure about American English spellings.

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/15/07 05:16 PM

Oh and while I'm at it - its not Mayan folks - it Maya folks.
Posted By: weile

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/15/07 07:56 PM

mslisa said about San Pedro:
"rich white tourists that want to hear La Isla Bonita techno remixes all night and talk about their boats".

Well, not many rich white tourists with boats here, really. Are you sure you went to San Pedro, Belize and not San Pedro, somewhere else?

You say you're a rasta woman and that you look like people from here... Well, here's a newsbreak for you: You don't look like people from here any more than the skinny German farmer on the nearest street corner does! Rastafari is an imported culture to Belize and has as much in common with the original beliefs of this area as the Catholic church, Islam or Scientology for that matter.
To stay in your way of speaking, you seem like one of the rich black tourist that want to hear Jamaican music all night and talk about their misery.

Your other remarks are just wrong and somewhat aggressive and indicates that you are mainly quoting history information that you have found on the Internet without having any idea of daily life in this country. I might be mistaking. You might have been born in Belize and/or traveled the country excessively. Still, you are wrong!!!

Racism comes in all colors, and none of them are pretty, which is why your being black, yellow, green, red, white or purple doesn't really mean anything. Your remarks are disrespectful to many good people who just might happen to have a skin color a few tones lighter than yours, and generally disrespectful towards the Belizean people, who have managed to create a fairly unique melting pot with a mere fraction of the tension you will find in most other places on this planet.

I don't know how much time you have spent in Belize, but you seem to be pretty unaware of the fact that positions within our Government as well as the private sector are being held by dark-skinned people and people of Mayan, Latin, Arab, Chinese or whatever origin without anyone really paying any attention to their skin color.

Respect to those who respect others, and a big "stay away from here" to those with prejudice, no matter who they are, what they are, and where they are from.

... and to poor ktofl who started this by asking a simple question, I can only say: Just come down here and find out for yourself. Lots of cool things going on, and with an open mind you will always find friends and help from good people who are usually only strangers until you have said your first hello's.
Posted By: elbert

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/16/07 03:06 PM

Bitter black chips on the shoulder are old fashioned even in the US, and for sure out of place in Belize.. Its a new world, Time to redo that self image mslisa.
Posted By: Indyguy

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 07/25/07 07:34 PM

O.k. you both spelled indigenous incorrectly.

It is not indegenous nor indiginous. This is a weird thread.But who really cares, right?

Have a great Now!
Posted By: keycocker

Re: REGGAE DANCEHALL in central america/ caye caul - 08/07/07 06:48 AM

When Amanda said "Spanish" or "Spaniard" she used the Belize meaning which refers to folks of mixed Maya and Euro descent. They are the original folks in this place as stated by her. We often use Belizean usages in the posts here which can confuse members from other countries.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board