AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Kite Board Instructor

Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Kite Board Instructor - 07/14/08 04:26 AM

I took the boys to kite board last week on the island and was told the instructor was "gone for the season" by a guy working the shop in front of where the instructor was living.

We booked lessons on AC where we were told the Caye Caulker instructor was actually killed while kite boarding in high winds.

Which story is true?

If he was killed, was this not in the news or did I miss it?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Kite Board Instructor - 07/14/08 02:51 PM

There is probably a new instructor on CC, the old owner of the shop was killed in a kiteboarding accident and it was in the news.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Kite Board Instructor - 07/14/08 03:44 PM

That was about three years ago, wasn't it?

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Kite Board Instructor - 07/14/08 04:35 PM

Sounds about right.

Re: Kite Board Instructor - 07/14/08 07:13 PM

We met a nice young guy there in March this year, tried to book with him then but the wind was too calm.

I assumed that was the guy who was killed.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Caye Connect

Re: Kite Board Instructor - 07/14/08 07:14 PM

You are confusing two shops:

1) A man named Michael was killed tragically when he was blown into his shop by a huge gust of wind. This did happen a few years ago. His shop has since been taken over by another proprietor and I am not sure they offer kite boarding anymore. This shop is located on the beach near Albert's mini mart in the center of town.

2) A second kite surfing shop is located near the split - behind the Angler's Abroad fish and fly shop. This kite boarding place is run by a Frenchman name Rudolpho and his operation is seasonal.

Re: Kite Board Instructor - 07/14/08 08:23 PM

2) A second kite surfing shop is located near the split - behind the Angler's Abroad fish and fly shop. This kite boarding place is run by a Frenchman name Rudolpho and his operation is seasonal.

This is the guy we met. Very nice guy. I'm glad to hear he's OK.

Thanks
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board