AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Ollie Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 03:45 AM
In one week my wife and I will be making our 6th or 7th trip to Belize. Although we have visited CC before it was a hurried visit. This year I want to return specifically to find and photograph a rare snake found only on CC, the Caye Caulker Boa.
Can someone please put me in touch with someone who can give me assistance in finding these little beauties?

Cheers,

Ollie
Posted By: elbert Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 02:43 PM
An inside joke ? right?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 02:53 PM
Heres the San Pedro version:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: krehfish Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 02:57 PM
No joke. boa c. Imperator, the dwarf boa. Not sure about the "only on CC". Need to contact the Marine Reserve station on the north end.
Posted By: elbert Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 03:09 PM
Any photos, We've got lots of boas. hard to tell if its a baby or dwarf.
Posted By: elbert Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 03:11 PM
http://www.cuttingedgeherp.com/boac...file=boaconstrictorimperator&UID=112
Read this,.....selling wild life for pets in captivity, is high on my list of sins.
An odd place to find boas here is on the dock. i'm not kidding.
I've seen more on docks than in the bush, i guess they are fishing.
I'm serious.
Posted By: peterfromcanada Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 03:51 PM
Have't seen a live one except on the back of a young man riding a bicycle, who picked it up somewhere on the south end of the island. Don't know what he was going to do with it, hopefully release it later. Heard from many that at night you can see them at the dump, by the airport when they feed on the rodents that roam there. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Ollie Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 05:17 PM
Thank you for your replies. As I stated initially, I have no intent on disturbing any of these boas merely observing and photographing them in their "natural" habitat.
This subspecies appears to be specific to Caye Caulker with the primary difference between it and the normal species being the difference in size. The CC subspecies is much smaller at 4 or 5 feet for a mature specimen while 8 feet plus for the typical boa. The captive specimens I've seen also have a slightly different shaped head and I'm interested if this is typical or only prevalent in the captive population.
Any additional information is much appreciated.

Ollie
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 05:28 PM
I saw an island boa a few years ago on the beach trail nust north of Shirley's, in an empty lot. It was kinda blue looking from what I remember.
Posted By: elbert Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 05:41 PM
I think my skepticism is that they (boas) swim and the islands are so close together it seems unlikely they would be endemic to caye caulker.
now that i know what they look like
i'll email you if I find one here.
love boas and we have lots.
Posted By: krehfish Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 06:22 PM
The "pets" I've seen on the islands have always been some shade of green/yellow. The dwarfs are grey(gray?)
Posted By: Ollie Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Cybercayecaulker.com
I saw an island boa a few years ago on the beach trail nust north of Shirley's, in an empty lot. It was kinda blue looking from what I remember.

This particular specimen must have been close to shedding. Snakes are often referred to as being "in blue" prior to shedding. Especially noticable are their eyes due to the old skin which is about to be replaced.
Posted By: Ollie Re: Snakes on Caye Caulker - 11/20/08 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by krehfish
The "pets" I've seen on the islands have always been some shade of green/yellow. The dwarfs are grey(gray?)

Boa constrictors are primarily grey, brown and tan. Any green/yellow snakes are a different species.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board