AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Nessa long-term rentals - 04/06/09 12:42 PM
Are there many places that offer monthly rates for 3-6 months at a time on Caye Caulker? My husband and I would like to do this in about 2 yrs and I am trying to figure out if there are places out there and how much they typically cost. The other thing is, we would be bringing up to 3 large dogs with us. If anyone has any inside info., please pass it along.

Thanks much!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: long-term rentals - 04/06/09 04:58 PM
Three Big Dogs....Good Luck

Z
Posted By: Nessa Re: long-term rentals - 04/06/09 06:59 PM
That difficult, huh? Is it due more the the Owner being worried about potential damage? Just curious!
Posted By: Dane Re: long-term rentals - 04/06/09 07:07 PM
There are houses to find from April to November.
Nov. to Mar. it is much more difficult. Our place rents around US$700/mo. Most others cost more or are quite basic. You may not find choices Dec. to Mar. if it has to be seaside or airconditioned.
Posted By: Dane Re: long-term rentals - 04/06/09 07:08 PM
Bringing big dogs to the Caye is often a disaster for them.
Posted By: Cooper Re: long-term rentals - 04/06/09 07:29 PM
If you love your dogs leave them behind..its only for several months...I wish I had not brought my Rottie...now I adopt island dogs that need a home.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: long-term rentals - 04/07/09 02:12 AM
Cooper or Dane

What problems do people have bringing Dogs to CC?

Z
Posted By: Cooper Re: long-term rentals - 04/07/09 02:33 AM
First of all I have big dogs that were born here, Alot of the locals are afraid of dogs, actually screaming and running away , etc just at the sight of them without any signs of aggression, then at last count every dog here that has been tested has tic fever and most have heartworm. Treatment for these things here are different than in the States,,your normal flea and tic treatment does not work here.These things can be treated, but your basic over the counter flea collars ant meds dont work at all. I know you probably have intentions of keeping your dogs redistricted but its not unusual to have someone take a machete to them if they are scared. The climate can be an issue also. We also have no vet care here...not to scare you...if you were moving here permantly and dogs are family that would be another issue but just for a few months it may not be the best choice...
Posted By: Libra Re: long-term rentals - 04/07/09 04:39 AM
Hey Nessa! I am a local and I am NOT "afraid of big dogs, screaming and running away, etc just at the sight of them..."!!! Getting your dogs here might be a bit difficult, but once they are here, everything will be okay! I don't know what Cooper is coming with!! And we do have VETS that come here quite often as a matter of fact. There is a really nice lady, Madi Collins, and she is a registered Humane Society on the island. She takes care of the animals and brings a vet out here every two (2) weeks. Everyone knows that. So don't let anyone discourage you from bringing your dogs here. Just remember, once they are here, PLEASE try to keep them on a leash. We are trying to have people practice that on our island so as to avoid any problems! Hope to see you and your doggies soon! Take care...
Posted By: Nessa Re: long-term rentals - 04/07/09 12:53 PM
My dogs are not super big. I have 2 65# golden retrievers and my old man Max who is a 90# lab/setter. Sadly, I don't think he will be around when we start our long-term stays away from home. I do have alot of worries about bringing my dogs to CC, however, I believe in responsible pet ownership and could never leave them behind. I work at a vet clinic, so I know a little about what my risks would be. Such a tough thing! I will definitely put their best interests first. Anyone know why the usual flea/tick treatments don't work there like they do here? I greatly appreciate all the info! This is stuff I need to know long before I make any decisions.
Posted By: kris48 Re: long-term rentals - 04/07/09 03:51 PM
Fleas and ticks in the tropics are a major problem. Even with Frontline Plus they can still develop tick fever. If you are thinking of bringing dogs to the tropics at a minimum they should already be on heartworm medication for a time, and also Frontline or similar. Then, with regular bathing and diligence in looking for ticks and removing promptly they may escape major problems. If the vet only visits Caulker every 2 weeks, emergency care would require at least a boat ride.
Posted By: Monel Re: long-term rentals - 04/08/09 02:44 AM
I have never been to Caye Caulker but we moved to San Pedro at the beginning of December and after a bunch of shots and finding an airline that would bring her (Continential) we had our St Bernard join us on Feb 4th. Naturally she dwarfs all but the big guard dogs but we have found no instances of people being afraid of her...they want to fuss her and take her picture but no machete weilding madmen. As Libra said though make sure that you keep your pet on a leash instead of letting it run wild. As far as temperature goes...it isn't much hotter here than it is in summer where we were in Canada and basically a large dog can have a very happy life here hanging out inside sleeping in the day and exploring with you at night...I'm sure that Shmoo (our dog) would write a review of how much she loves the Caribbean breeze and the scents it brings but her paws are too big for the keyboard. Do make sure that your pet has taken heartworm meds though as it is a prevalent problem here as are canine stds so while you want your dog to enjoy him/herself make sure they don't enjoy themselves *too* much lol.
Once again as I said I haven't been in Caye Caulker yet but Im sure that the canine sensibilities can't be that different between there and Ambergris
Posted By: Cooper Re: long-term rentals - 04/08/09 05:12 AM
You know youn have these newcombers... they dont understnd the culture..they bring their outside influence in to this country.. it took years to be able to spay and neuter here..Mattie is great for brininging vets here,,but cant give an injection or treatr...stupid people giving bad advice....So bring the3 dogs down ,,aqnd no we have no vets here..but I have meds and boxes of top of line flea and tic treatmeant...tic fever treatnment etc etc........and can get a vet here if you need.and I will stop.. Mattie is great but cant treat a fever<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Posted By: Luvinlife Re: long-term rentals - 04/08/09 05:14 AM
WHAT???
Posted By: Nessa Re: long-term rentals - 04/08/09 12:03 PM
Cooper, are you from Minnesota?
Posted By: Honeymooners29 Re: long-term rentals - 04/08/09 11:53 PM
seems like Coop here got into said medications before he got to his keyboard.....
Posted By: Libra Re: long-term rentals - 04/09/09 05:44 AM
People out here won't harm your dog for nothing. Cooper has a big dog, Jack. He is always loose on the streets without a leash and one day he attacked a man. The man feared his life and reacted in self-defense as any "regular human" would. Don't get me wrong...I am not saying that it is ok to harm an animal, but in a case like this, what would you have done??? So to avoid things like this from happening, we ask that pet owners keep their dogs on a leash. For their own safety and for the safety of others. But still this doesn't mean that we walk around the island with a machete in our hands all day just to attack dogs for no reason at all?? What kind of people do you think we are Cooper?? Whackos?? People please don't think of our island as Cooper is portraying it to be. We love animals, hell we have some of our own!! And if you love yours, then you wouldn't leave them behind. We don't have permanent vets on the island, but like I mentioned, they come every 2 weeks. If something should ever happen before that 2 weeks, San Pedro and Belize City are very close by boat. Either way, nothing will happen to your dogs. And about the flea meds not working too good out here; I guess it's because of the humidity and the sand. You just have to give them a bath more often and like Monel mentioned, get them on the heartworm meds. It helps a lot!! Chao!! Oh...and ****Happy Easter**** :-)
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board