AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: MikeNCindy Rookies a coming - 05/31/11 08:43 PM
Howdy all, we are flying into Cancun in a week and driving into Belize. Never been to BZ and want tips etc. We are explorers and want to see some of the country and also stay a few days on one of the cayes. I saw some mention of fees on another forum but have not been able to nail that down---I guess no fee from MX to BZ except the bug spray deal. What about on our return to MX ? If going to Caye Caulker, what is the best place to park and get a boat? Any place outside of BZ city to avoid ? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Mike.
Posted By: Dane Re: Rookies a coming - 06/02/11 04:38 PM
WE couldn't find a rental car place in mex that let us cross the border.The car is a burden anyway- not like on a US vacation.You can bus to Chet and take a boat from there.
Posted By: MisterB266 Re: Rookies a coming - 06/02/11 05:54 PM
M&C,

Regarding fees...

Departing Mexico
There's a small booth just before you cross the bridge to leave Mexico. Hand in the FMM form that you filled out on the plane when you arrived. There are no departure fees; nothing to pay at the border. That's for visitors; I don't know about vehicles.

Entering Belize
Visitors don't pay anything (assuming you're from the US or Canada) -- you should get a stamp allowing a stay of 30 days. I don't know about the vehicle, but you will have to purchase insurance to cover you for the time spent in Belize. There is a place (maybe 2) at the border, near the immigration building, where you can buy insurance. Ask the immigration officers.

Departing Belize
Visitors/tourists pay BZ$37.50 (US$18.75) payable in BZ$ or US$ at the land border. Don't know about the vehicle.

Entering Mexico
Visitors must get a new FMM (visitor's form). Since you are in transit from Belize to another country, you must pay the MX$262 fee for the FMM. The fee is not paid at the border but at a bank before you depart Mexico -- keep the receipt with the form to hand in at Cancun airport. I've heard that Cancun airport is one of the airports where the FMM fee can be paid upon departure, but that's unconfirmed.

The spray station is a couple of km from the immigration building as you head towards Chetumal -- it's on your right.

Departing from Cancun Airport
I've never paid anything -- there is no departure fee. If there are any airport fees, they must have been included in the ticket price. If your FMM fee has not been paid, I don't know if you can pay it at the airport, or have to return to a bank to pay it.

With the car, an idea might be to find a hotel with parking in Corozal. Leave the car there while you go to CC. You could get the water taxi to Ambergris then CC, or you could fly from Corozal.

With a car, I'd say you should get to San Ignacio & Placencia. Have a drive through Hopkins.

Dane,
I have the names of two Mexican car rental companies that allow vehicles into Belize.
Do you need them?
Posted By: Dane Re: Rookies a coming - 06/02/11 06:21 PM
Thanks. We found a car a burden visiting on the mainland in Belize and Mexico.Distances are short, buses are frequent and cheap and interesting culture experiences. Driving is dangerous in Belize.My friend Paul who survived a big life of high adventure all over the world died on the hiway himself.
Posted By: MikeNCindy Re: Rookies a coming - 06/02/11 08:10 PM
Thanks MisterB, I did not know of the 262.00 fee. We saved almost 8 hundo by flying and renting a car at CUN, so I guess they get you one way or another. We do want to see the Cayo and Placencia, did not know of Hopkins but I am not done flying Google Earth yet. I am sure we will love the country, not real big on ammenities--cold beer/sand/green water is all I need ! Thanks again. M&C
Posted By: MikeNCindy Re: Rookies a coming - 06/06/11 07:33 PM
Caye Caulker----HERE WE COME !
Posted By: MikeNCindy Re: Rookies a coming - 06/15/11 11:00 PM
Had a blast, thanks for the hospitality !
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board