AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Sipping Rum

Posted By: RedRover

Sipping Rum - 02/02/12 04:20 PM

I will be on Caye Caulker in March and plan on buying provisions locally. I know that it’s not worth buying local beer and rum on the mainland because of its reasonable pricing and accessibility on Caye Caulker, however is Travellers 5 Barrel Aged Rum easily purchased on Caye Caulker? Additionally is Travellers 5 Barrel Aged Rum good on the rocks as what I call a “sipping liqueur”. I really enjoy a good sipping liqueur as a way to wrap up the day. Normally I sip a good single barrel bourbon, however I have had really good rums that do just fine for sipping.

RedRover96
Posted By: aquamark1

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/02/12 08:45 PM

5 barrel rum is a great rum it's a smokey mallases flavour smother than 1 barrel you can get it in most stores on caye caulker 12 days to go till we get there for a month or a few bottles later all the best mark
Posted By: Bear

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 12:26 AM

Depending on your own tastes and experiences you may, or may not, like some of the Belizean rums and that includes 5 Barrel...it is a matter of personal taste.

I find its oak and flavors (a vanilla overtone, characteristic in my opinion of many the Traveler products) to be a bit unbalanced for a five year old rum although it has a nicer more refined and drier finish than some of the lower "barrels". I'll be interested to hear your opinions once you've tried some. The English variation on rum retain more of the molasses undertones and depending on distallation technique that flavor can be very overwhelming (e.g Wrey and Nephew (Jamaica) or St Vincent's Sunset Rum). I would not charaterize 5 Barrel as having that overwhelming single pot distillate flavor.

[Linked Image]

Of the Belizean Rums tried my wife likes Old Master Extra Mature. It's is her favorite. It's on the sweeter finish side but to her mind it is a nice off the rocks or in a snifter.

[Linked Image]

Now if you dont mind spending some money pick up a bottle of Ron Zaccapa 15 Year (Guatemala) at the Airport duty free. As a single barrel boubon guy I'm sure the $30 odd US dollars wont make you shirk. This rum is a Spanish variant in the Anejo style. These rums are typically smoother and to my mind more enjoyable than their English bretheren. I'd also add that it is the younger brother of the Zaccapa 23 YO Centenarrio rum that year after year is judged to be one of the top rums in the world. Ah yes, I just remebered! You can get the 23 YO Centennario at the duty free, or at least thay had it the last time I was there...mmmm I'm thinking it was like $60USD smile

[Linked Image]

Again all this is from my own observations and biases so please experiment!

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 12:36 AM

I'd score your 5 Barrel (and that Ron Zaccapa wink )at the duty free in Belize before on your way to collect your luggage a apart of your 4 bottles each duty free allowance. Keep your receipt.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 12:40 AM

I also like Traveller's Three Barrel (Parrot Rum). Use to be Duurly's.

--Lan Sluder

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 12:55 AM

Really? That surprises me Lan. Interesting tidbit. I was fairly certain Doorly's was a Barbados rum. When did it change over?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chunkyruth

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 01:02 AM

Bear, different rum...it wasn't a typo...Duurly's. Now 3 barrell...my fav.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 02:04 AM

Bear knows all ?????
Posted By: QUEBELIZE

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 02:16 AM

i prefer 5 barrel,i buy 12 bottles direct at the warehouse in B-C ,and paid for 11 bottles very cheap price,just ask any cab driver at the airport they will bring you there and bring it in the island maybe 12 bottles look too much for you but you be surprise how fast 12 bottles dissapear in 1 week
and do not forget there will be a lot of new friend !!!!! when they see you crossing the island with your caisses of rhum...
QUEBELIZE
Posted By: klcman

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
Bear knows all ?????

laugh
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 02:34 AM

My preference for Belizean rum is Old Master as well. I don't drink rum at home, only in the Caribbean (when in Rome). But, I have to say that after a recent trip to Martinique, they score the best rums in the world (at least that I have tasted so far). St. James and La Mauny were fabulous.....smooth, real smooth!

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 02:40 AM

Bear knows all ?????

Lmao Ernie! So very very obviously not! grin You once counseled me about the board. I think I'll take that advice now, [#%!] off!

Spelling/pronuncation is pretty damned evocative of the Bajan rum and I'd wager its no coincidence. Apologies to Lan, the question was sincere but I guess I should have known that a lightly paid part time writer wouldnt be so careless about spelling when it came to something as dear as spirits. Ruth thanks for for being instructive.

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 02:40 AM

I'll bet they really were smile

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 02:57 AM

I'll bet they really were smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 03:11 AM

That's what I'm talking about Bear..the best! They have 16 different rum distilleries on that island, so go figure!

La Mauny is a close second.

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 03:12 AM

Did Bear just tell me to [#%!] off ?

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 03:19 AM

Nope E, think he is just joshing....take it with a grain of salt, or for that matter, a shot of good rum! LOL. Salud! No salt needed......

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 03:24 AM

OK

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 03:28 AM

Did Bear just tell me to [#%!] off ?

I did, I cannot tell a lie I did. Only becasue I thought you'd appreciate the friendly manner in which it was expressed and only in the most friendly of ways Ernsto! I deserved it, you called it, I doubled down with a friendly rejoinder...I thought surely as my early mentor in board ettiquette you'd appreciate your students apology in the spririt it was offered! (Oh look the "[#%!]" word shows up when youre writing a reply!) Ahahahaha!

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieMar
That's what I'm talking about Bear..the best! They have 16 different rum distilleries on that island, so go figure! La Mauny is a close second.

I havent tried La Mauny Laurie. Have you ever tried any of these? Havana Club Anejo Reserva, Barbancourt 5 Star, Lemon Hart Demerrara? As you obviously like the French Oak overtones try Bally sometime. Here is a link to a great rum site

http://www.ministryofrum.com/producerdetails.php?t=32

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 05:23 AM

Rum is in the uh...taste of the beholder. Never tried any of those rums and never heard of them...but always open to new and exciting rums. Whatever do you mean by "French Oak overtones?" LOL. My ancestors are French, so maybe that is where my tastes come from.....to each his own....as in anything else in this world. Cheers to all!

Re: Sipping Rum - 02/03/12 05:39 AM

Another note: one should not discount rums from St. Lucia, where I also spent a day on my trip and "managed" to get in some rum tasting from that beautiful island. Go forth and conquer!
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board