AmbergrisCaye.com Home

misc questions

Posted By: cindymc

misc questions - 02/21/13 03:46 AM

planning a trip to CC in late april. I have been researching and slowly falling in love with this island. I am looking for basic accomodations.Clean, bright, studio, 1 bed, window, bathroom, fridge. not sure if i'll need air conditioner. would like to bring my 11 pound dog. I am a middle-aged woman who will be traveling alone. I would like a fairly quiet, but not remote, safe, clean place to stay. Any recommendations? Also, I know swimming pools are not a big thing on the island, but i do love to swim, I would like more basic accomodations than a hotel, but would like access to a pool. would i be allowed to use a hotel pool if i'm not a guest??? I don't want to offend anybody by asking when i get there. Or is the split really ok for someone who likes to do a few laps? If i leave my dog unattended where I'm staying, she'll be safe, right? Thanks so much.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: misc questions - 02/21/13 04:04 AM

I sent you a PM with some suggestions.
Posted By: Cooper

Re: misc questions - 02/22/13 02:50 AM

The Split is perfect for doing laps. In front of the long cement wall. and if thier is a current it wont effect that area. And its almost 100yrds of great swimming water. and 4 to 5 ft deep. We also have the Caye Caulker Humane Society here that can do your dogs certificate of health for its return. If your dog is not on heartworm prevention, start him now and continue for 4 months after you return.
Posted By: Hoover

Re: misc questions - 02/22/13 05:10 PM

I spent a few hours at the split, but didn't have a chance to swim/snorkle. Is it a good place to snorkle? It would be nice on my next visit to have access to a place to snorkle at my own pace from shore.
Posted By: ron

Re: misc questions - 02/22/13 06:20 PM

Lots of people snorkel there. Just be careful of the boats that come in there.
Posted By: Dane

Re: misc questions - 02/23/13 04:43 AM

We used to swim in the Split against the tide which goes both ways and can be enough that you swim in one place.
Mind the boats.

Re: misc questions - 02/23/13 05:33 AM

Yes, Dane, I still do that. Its like treadmilling.

Re: misc questions - 02/23/13 05:41 AM

The split is best to snorkle here from the beach,,, Eagle rays and always are the nurse sharks, you have to be able to swim down under the pilings to see them. The frog fish, eels in the one reef rock in the middle. barracuda,,most folks miss all this they dont know where or how to look.

Re: misc questions - 02/23/13 10:37 PM

i am sooooo looking forward to it. just booked colinda's cabana. sounds like the split will be fine, don't need a pool!
my daughter has been there. she saw an octopus while she was hanging on the dock!
Posted By: MikeD

Re: misc questions - 02/23/13 11:44 PM

Cindy,
People see lots of things at the split...they are not always there - too many belekins
smile
Posted By: joey2angels

Re: misc questions - 02/24/13 01:58 AM

I once saw Bigfoot drinking at the bar after doing 10 shots too many.
Posted By: Dane

Re: misc questions - 02/24/13 02:54 AM

Octopi are common but move at night so few people see them.

Re: misc questions - 02/24/13 03:40 AM

oh...very funny! now i am going to have to make it my goal to see an octopus. AND you can't fool me. it's WAAAAAAYYY too warm for Bigfoot down there.

Re: misc questions - 02/24/13 05:39 AM

Colindas is a good choice.
Posted By: azbob

Re: misc questions - 02/24/13 03:21 PM

Cindy, here is a photo taken a year ago by Rebecca (San Pedro Scoop) of a phlegmy octopus in San Pedro. I've never seen one myself, but I keep looking!

http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/search?q=octopus

Ps I've seen that same Bigfoot on Ambergris ! laugh

© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board