AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Caye Caulker Businessman Arrested, Says S.I. Needs Adjustment

Posted By: Marty

Caye Caulker Businessman Arrested, Says S.I. Needs Adjustment - 12/30/20 12:18 PM

Arceo says that the current Statutory Instrument is choking the businesses which rely on the tourism industry. He says that there is an urgent need for adjustment.

Eduardo Arceo, Owner, Pelican Sunset Bar

ďI want the Belizean public and the government itself to be aware of what the new S.I. is doing to the business community and to the tourism sector. I personally believe that that new SI has to be adjusted. I understand that COVID-19 is something that we have to worry about but for me as a business person the economy is more important. Without money I canít go to a private hospital. I canít help myself. I have employees to pay. I have government bill to pay. This is not helping the economy. It is not helping anybody. Tourists are here to enjoy the vacation and that is not happening. They are being threatened by police officers. They need to be educated and the S.I. needs to be adjusted. Six p.m. is very impossible. I donít think that is possible for tourism. So we will lose tourists instead of getting tourists with this new S.I. I donít know for how long this will continue because according to the S.I. it doesnít have a due date. We want to know when this will done because it is affecting my business and the economy and the tourists itself. They are being threatened.Ē

Channel 5

Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Caye Caulker Businessman Arrested, Says S.I. Needs Adjustment - 12/30/20 02:46 PM

Much of the business community agree.... In the first Lock down the only communities locked down were Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. No one allowed in and out, we could not leave our homes or venture to our yards and piers. Now months later we find that Corozal and Orangewalk are having similar restrictions.

We are asking that Ambergris Caye & Caye Caulker receive a supplemental SI to allow tourists the experience they deserve; Sunset Cruises, Fine Dining Meals and the freedom to explore our areas. My personal conversations with tourists are clear. They wish they had booked Cuba, Cancun or any other Caribbean destination where they could enjoy their time without the militant vigilance. The tourists say the stress of the time clock is why they went on vacation in the first place. frown Regardless of your views on the value of Quarantines, our communities need these precious tour dollars. We are not receiving any supplemental assistance from any other agency; we do what we can to assist our neighbors who are being evicted for not paying rent, scrounging and begging for food, being harassed and disregarded for their state of poverty. My 2 cents worth.... frown
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board