AmbergrisCaye.com Home

paddle to the reef from caye caulker

Posted By: shanedm

paddle to the reef from caye caulker - 09/09/21 07:29 PM

Hello,
I'll be living on Caye Caulker for the next 2 months and would like to do some snorkeling on my own on the reef by paddling out on my paddle board. No, it's not because I'm cheap. I am going to get a guide for much of everything else including scuba diving and the rest of the popular snorkeling spots. I just love to do it so much, that it would be very expensive paying a tour 4-5 days a week for 2 months. I've read some on the topic and it would seem that this is doable but that I'd just have to pay a CC Marine Reserve fee. However, a local at the airbnb i'm staying at said that going by yourself isn't allowed and that a ranger would pick you up and confiscate the paddle board. Can anyone tell me definitively what the law is here for this?

For background information, I have been doing this kind of thing on my own since I was a kid, in Florida/Florida Keys. I'm not a novice. I'd have all the safety gear with me including PFD and whistle (maybe find an airhorn as well). I'm also very thoughtful on any potential impact on the reef. I would never anchor on the reef. I'd also never get myself into a situation where strong current was present that would wash me over the reef.

Can anyone provide any insight into this? If I am allowed to do this, where would I go to buy the park pass/fee?

Thanks in advance,
Shane
|\
\\
.-"""-||
/ _\__ ||
|/____`||
((__,__)|
| __.'/
'.(_).'

Re: paddle to the reef from caye caulker - 09/16/21 06:35 PM

No one knows?
Posted By: dabunk

Re: paddle to the reef from caye caulker - 09/16/21 09:46 PM

Have to be accompanied by a licensed tour guide

Re: paddle to the reef from caye caulker - 09/20/21 02:15 PM

this weekend, I was told by my dive instructor, that I can, in fact, go to the reef on my own. I just can't go to the protected/reserve part of the reef, which is the southern part off caye caulker. So, looks like I can go on my own on the northern part which isn't part of the reserve.

Re: paddle to the reef from caye caulker - 09/20/21 03:50 PM

Hmmmm. then, I just found this, with a map of the boundaries and show the entire reef of caye caulker is either a preserve or reserve. https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/ocea...bacalar_chico_marine_reserves_belize.pdf
Posted By: katzgar

Re: paddle to the reef from caye caulker - 10/17/21 12:24 PM

you can paddle to the reef but not anchor on it. Find out if there are tieoffs like there are at Ambergris Caye. Marine reserves do require a guide.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board