AmbergrisCaye.com Home

DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE!

Posted By: jacquesv

DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 09:16 PM

Everyone who is organizing relief efforts please post relevant names, phone numbers, the location of the collection site, and expected date of departure under this heading.

This message board has gotten so HUGE that vague search questions aren't providing the specific info that generous souls need to get supplies to the proper people.

Under this topic, all info will be easier to locate by everyone who wants to help!

Thanks! Jacques

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 09:25 PM

Please, please help us get supplies together to send to all of our friends in San Pedro. We have a supply truck leaving from Houston on Friday and Continental Cargo Flight leaving tomorrow. We need anything anyone can donate from medicine to clothing, canned goods, baby food, diapers, construction supplies, anything!!!! Please call me if you are interested in sending relief supplies down.
Thanks,
Ryan Sheffield
713-467-6885

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 09:27 PM

we have one in dallas,
Rich Frantz
3721 Hackberry Lane
Bedford, TX 76021
[email protected]

he is getting two planes together for friday... and then we can make another run later if we need to from there.

posted 10-04-2000 10:26 AM            
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can accept packages at this address:
San Pedro Relief
c/o Marietta
100 North Main Street
PMB 103
San Antonio TX 78205
210-889-2998
[email protected]
Packages by mail only at this address, please.

=====================
Marty, I'm in Miami and can help coordinate any shipping that is going out
of here, if you need my help. Unfortunately all I can offer is my time but
I have plenty of that. email or phone is 954-558-7711
Dana Hartwig

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-04-2000).]
Posted By: Trinity

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 09:31 PM

I'm trying to organize relief through my local Red Cross chapter here in Colorado Springs. They have an established worldwide network and instant name recognition and distribution avenues already set up. I figure its the best way I can help. Tried to call the Bze Embassy, but no one there could tell me anything other than that I could send money to fund that they have set up. Pardon my cynicism, but I'm not sending any money directly to the Belizean govt - no telling exactly what would happen to it and when. (Mind you I feel the same way regardless of which party is in power. )

I would also like to remind everyone that while AC was badly hit, it is not the only place in the country of Belize. Caye Caulker, Belize City and rural Belize need help too. The interior is starting to flood and there are reports that the Rio Hondo river has risen 7 feet since this morning. Also, the Belize City hospital is in ruins. There was flooding on every floor. We need medical supplies. Remember what happens in a tropical country when there is large amounts of standing water: malaria, cholera, typhoid etc. The floods could be worse than the winds and the rain.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help.
Posted By: Marty

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 09:44 PM

Do you need a place to store donated goods prior to shipment from
Dallas? If so, I can arrange for items to be stored at no charge in a
new self-storage facility we just completed in Arlington, just a few
miles from DFW, near the intersection of I-20 and HWY 360. I also have
several trucks that can be used if needed.

Edd Haskins <[email protected]>

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 09:44 PM

I am working along with Charles Leslie trying to get food and clothing for
San Pedro and Caye Caulker. I live in the West side of Houston. My house
can be use as a drop-off spot. You can contact me at tel. no. is
281-646-8095. I am also willing to pick up on Saturday and Sunday. Let's
show our people how much we care.

Thanks, Olga Waight
Posted By: Jenn

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 10:01 PM

-

[Note: This message has been edited by Belize Mama]
Posted By: Dana

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 10:09 PM

I can help coordinate shipping in Miami if needed
Posted By: PeteinCo

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 10:22 PM

Looking for additional help in the Denver, Colorado Springs area,
donations
stageing area
transportation for supplies(maybe just to houston)
any other resources would be appreciated
thanks Pete
E-Mail [email protected]
Day # 303-804-4714
Posted By: claireht

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 10:42 PM

[Note: This message has been edited by Belize Mama]
Posted By: Christopher

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 10:44 PM

I sent a message to the Red Cross yesterday.
Here is the response:

The American Red Cross already sent a team of relief workers to Belize, we also, sent $25,000 and we are also, getting donations from the American public.

Thank you for your concern
Posted By: imabloom

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 10:46 PM

If someone can get me down there along with my 2 additional crew people, we will produce a video piece on what the people are going through and need. We will then submit it to CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, and others. We can be ready to come there on 1 days notice. We won' require any money for ourselves and will provide all the equipment and personnel needed to produce this. What we would need it air, lodging and other ancillary expenses covered while the 3 of us are there. Respectfully, Michael Bloom, SIP

MICHAEL A. BLOOM
BIO (1999)
PRODUCER/DIRECTOR/WRITER

Michael graduated from The University Of Southern California (USC) with a Masters Degree, Fine Arts with an emphasis in electronic media, and a Bachelors Degree in Film, 1982. In 1984 Mike Bloom pioneered "Product Related Marketing Videos" and is a major force in the home video and premium industry. He has created an organization that is unquestionably the most successful company of its kind. Advertising, Broadcast, and Promotion Clients include Procter & Gamble, Cash Plus Media, General Mills, Kraft/General Foods, Quaker, Sony, Bristol Meyers, Golden Grain, Sega, Hewlett Packard, The Dial Corporation, Nissan, and Toyota.

In 1986, Mike began working in Television. After demonstrating his creative insight, he was signed by The William Morris Agency, Dick Howard/John Ferriter and currently is represented there today by Mr. Ferriter, VP., Packaging, William Morris, as Dick has since retired. He has since produced several network and syndicated specials while continuing his unprecedented successful track record in the Advertising and Home Video Market.

Special Interest Productions sits on top of the product related video business with more than 65% of the market. Its list of clients include companies that are both FORTUNE 500 and Ad Age 100 corporations. The list of video clients include General Mills, the H. J. Heinz Co., The Quaker Oats Company, Sony Corporation Of America, Hewlett Packard, Sega, Alta Vista, Bristol Meyers, ExerHealth Inc. (HealthRider) and many more. Mike is responsible for targeting, negotiating and signing all of Special Interest Productions’ clients.

Mike is one of a handful of producers who has never lost money on a show he was responsible for. His many production credits as a Producer, Director, or Writer include 6 Osmond Christmas specials most recently, "The Marie Osmond Christmas Special", "The National Lampoon Collegiate Comedy Pop-Off" (a series of 12 that ran for 3 years), "Earth Aid, Our World A User's Guide" with Ed Begley, Jr., (a series of twelve, still in broadcast) and "The Discovery Zone" (a children's show utilizing the Discovery Zone amusement centers as the focal point for the set). Future proprietary projects in development or in production now include "Royalty of the IIIRD Millennium" in association with MAI Productions 1999, "The Olsen Twins, Kids Only Xmas Show" beginning Christmas 2000, "A Day In The Life Of..." 2000 (A Reality Docudrama), "SOB, Halifax School Of Broadcast" Sitcom Pilot to shoot 2001 with Dick Clark Productions, "A Carolina Christmas" (a feature movie of the week) 2001 "You Don't Have To Be Jewish" (comedy special) 2001, "Life After Death In The NFL" (feature docudrama) 2001, "Women In Sports" (a sports magazine) 2002, “The Play Caller” a feature documentary about the inside track of an NFL Coach 2002, "Zero Tolerance" a feature film base on the career of Coach Ladacuer 2002, plus many more.

In 1994 Mike was awarded his most prestigious award, "THE GOLDEN APPLE AWARD" for the child development program he originally produced for Heinz USA. There are 3 awards presented every year in the film/video category by the National Board of Education. These include the Gold, the Silver, and the Bronze. In 1994 and again in 1996 more than 16,000 entries were considered. Winning the Gold was very special to Mike, not only once, but twice. Additional awards and recognition include 3 Emmy Nominations, and 4 National CLEO Awards

Athletic Entertainment Productions (AE Productions) was recently formed for promoting and marketing sporting events as fundraising vehicles for non profit organizations. AE voluntarily produced the Steve Young Celebrity Ski Weekend at Snowbird Utah and has assisted in many of the Forever Young fundraising events. Since the AE involvement, receipts have increased over 400%. Recently AE successfully produced and promoted the Jimmy Connors/Bjorn Borg tennis exhibition tour nationally.

Mike is postured to produce variety specials, sports programs, films and any other program that mixes taped programs with live audience participation and incorporation. He mostly seeks opportunities specifically involving education and entertainment in the Children's and Special Interest Markets (Documentary) as well as the Variety and Sports Markets.

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 10:52 PM

respones to the previous post from imabloom,
see the post titled "aircraft for those in need" may be a page or two back
Posted By: HeatherP

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 11:17 PM

We are in Idaho and are still looking for a way to send electrical materials and clothes, etc. down. Anyone from the Northwest organizing relief effort please contact us at either :208-467-4018 or 208-461-9275.
Posted By: Marietta

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/04/00 11:59 PM

Physical drop off location, Monday - Saturday:

Biati's Boutique
2250 Thousand Oaks
San Antonio TX
210-822-5578
www.biatis.com

In Mil Encino shopping center
Thousand Oaks at Henderson Pass

[This message has been edited by Marietta (edited 10-04-2000).]
Posted By: Amilyada

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 12:38 AM

Any information about organized relief efforts in Los Angeles?
Posted By: Amilyada

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 01:23 AM

Just found out. Los Angeles drop off address:

5841 South San Pedro
Tel: 323-231-3030

They ask that you include two itemized lists - one for the package and one for the relief organizers. Info came from Belize Embassy in L.A.
Posted By: John in Vancouver, Canada

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 02:45 AM

Does any know of any relief efforts being organized in western Canada and, if so, who to get in touch with. I tried to some extent myself this afternoon but got no where. [email protected]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 03:56 AM

To: Olga Waight - I own Changes In Latitudes
I'm in Canada and am gathering supplies to return to San Pedro.

I am booked on Continental - intended return was Oct. 20th but will return Saturday or Sunday. It takes me two days to fly to Belize from where I am in Canada. I want to bring in as much as I can of needed relief. Will Continental allow me extra baggage for relief efforts? If not allowed with me can I prepare it and have it shipped cargo? What costs are involved? How can I best help?
Please reply to [email protected]

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 04:11 AM

I am in Boulder Colorado and am collecting building supplies for truck transport to CA. I can be reached at (303) 875-7615 or (720) 406-0564 fax (720) 564-9674. I will be spreading the word at ExtaSea Expo in Denver over the weekend. Any Bldr/Denver assistance or cooperative effort will be appreciated. Dan Wentworth

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 04:31 AM

To everyone out there, Please email us at [email protected] If you have supplies to send down to the islands. We are going to have adequate storage for all the supplies. We are going to have an customs agent at the airport in Belize city who will pick up the supplies we send down, and take them over to the docks and will have boats run the supplies to Caye Cualker and San Pedro!!!! We will have people on both islands to dispurse the supplies. We now are not at this time going to have planes available for Fri. We need all the supplies for the 1st shipment by tues or wed. of next week, then send down another shipment a week later, Then we are going down Oct. 28th. We are making arrangments now for shipment for nest week, so please email us so we can give you all the info needed to get the supplies here in DFW. Thank you all for everything and may God bless you all in this trying time. Talk with you all soon.
Thank you so very much, Rick and Cheri

Posted by [email protected]
Posted By: Kathy in Canada

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 05:51 AM

~~

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 01:38 PM

!

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 02:24 PM

/
Posted By: mazzullo1

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 04:22 PM

For those living in the area of Wichita, Kansas, we are collecting relief supplies to be sent to Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker at the Dept. of Geology (Wichita State Univ). Please contact Chellie Teal at 978-7243 or 688-0623 or [email protected]

Supplies needed (please bear in mind that many used items are useful to others):
diapers
dry and canned food goods
clothing
blankets
tents and sleeping bags
medical supplies
2-way radios
Posted By: Grace

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 05:12 PM

Sal,
Are you going to AC? Hope to finally meet you!

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 06:24 PM

I got this in from Yvonne. It's worth a read!
--------------------------------------
Tony and Dave are scheduled to fly into Belize this Saturday and will have room for two extra bags apiece. Let me know what I should pack up for them to bring down. They’ll be bringing tools to work on outboard motors as well as a few hammers and other stuff like that. I can’t tell you how much it means to us that you have kept us updated on what’s happening in San Pedro. My company is taking collection to send to Belize. I leave for Texas on Saturday for business and I’ve made contact with Rick France in Dallas so I’ll be bringing him a couple of bags of stuff to send over. They have a couple of cargo planes that will be going out all week. It’s not much but I figure every little bit will help right now. I stopped in the college library last night and left the Belize message board up on all the screens hoping it would create awareness of the situation over there.

Love to all,

yvonne
[email protected]

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 07:31 PM

//
Posted By: Jenn

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 08:56 PM

\

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/05/00 09:53 PM

There is a relief supply truck leaving Houston tomorrow. Just found out that another truck will also be leaving within the next couple of weeks. We need to fill both of these trucks, so please please send whatever you can. Contact me with questions.
Ryan Sheffield
713-467-6885
---------------------------------------
That Ryan is on the ball! Let's help him full up those trucks!
Posted By: Kat in Texas

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/06/00 02:50 AM

--

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/06/00 06:57 AM

Just heard from Vicki and Lisa Arceo, the sisters of the Honorable Patty Arceo, and they have arrived in Belize City and are on the island by now.
Vicki said they arrived safely with all the materials, and sailed through customs smoothly. As soon as they arrive on the island, we will be in contact to continue to get the donations on a straight shot to the town council.

Vicki says it is VERY IMPORTANT to label the materials you ship as:
TO:
BELIZE HURRICANE RELIEF
C/O SAN PEDRO/CAYE CAULKER
C/O THE HONORABLE PATTY ARCEO
BELIZE

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/06/00 02:34 PM

!

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/06/00 05:05 PM

-

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/06/00 06:48 PM

JS,
Have a guy in San Diego looking to organize the transportation of donations. His name is Philip Canaday and here is his [email protected]
Drop him a note.
I have another truck leaving in a couple of weeks and by that time people could ship things to Houston at lower cost. Please contact me if you would like information about addresses.
Thanks!
Ryan Sheffield
713-467-6885

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/07/00 12:56 AM

If you are reading this and have access to major or bulk supplies, we can get a tax receipt to you.
Our shipping folks have been allowed to work under the Lions Club, and this allows for donations to be deducted from taxes.

Need building supplies, plywood, roofing supplies, sheetrock, nails, tools, chainsaws. IN BULK, shipped to Rick in Dallas.

Rich Frantz
3721 Hackberry Lane
Bedford, TX 76021
[email protected]

This is only for major companies because of the follow up procedures required.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-06-2000).]
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/07/00 02:04 AM

I am sending a compilation of all the relief organizations and drop off points to all my past customers who have been to Belize.

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/07/00 04:49 AM

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/07/00 08:41 PM

!
Posted By: Karen Gorman

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/07/00 08:46 PM

Gail and Teddy Gonzalez of Florida Expeditors are trying to fill a container by Thursday to ship to AC and CC. Send packages to:
Belize Hurrican Relief
c/oFlorida Expiditers,Teddy Gonzalez
8336 NW 56th Street
Miami, FL 33166

Warehouse Phone 305-477-0944
Gonzalez's Home Phone 305-554-7303

Trying to fill container being shipped on Thurdsay (10/12). Will be sending shipments every Thursday for the next few weeks. Customs should not be a problem as relief shipments will go to National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) and Red Cross for distribution. Their are about 12 volunteers in the Miami area collection, packing, and doing the paper work. Frieght is being donated.

You can send email to me at [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Karen Gorman (edited 10-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Karen Gorman (edited 10-10-2000).]

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/08/00 11:14 AM

^

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/08/00 03:03 PM

^
Posted By: Isabelle & Jean

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/08/00 10:01 PM

we're coming to BC Oct 17 for the beginning of a 14-odd month sabbatical. we were planning to hop over to CC for sometime. can we help with anything? we don't have money but we do have a lot of time. i'm a structural engineer and my wife is a lawyer and good community organizer.
we'll be staying at isabel's guest house in BC, if it still exists, before going off to CK
[email protected]

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/09/00 03:14 AM

^

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/10/00 04:38 PM

Gail and Teddy Gonzalez of Florida Expediters are trying to fill a containers shipping on Thursdays for the next few weeks.

Send packages to:
Belize Hurrican Relief
c/oFlorida Expiditers,Teddy Gonzalez
8336 NW 56th Street
Miami, FL 33166

Gonzalez's Home Phone 305-554-7303

Customs should not be a problem as relief shipments will go to National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) and Red Cross for distribution. Their are about 12 volunteers in the Miami area collection, packing, and doing the paper work. Frieght is being donated.

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/11/00 07:04 PM

Back to the top!
Posted By: Kathryn N

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/11/00 08:10 PM

Hi I live in San Pedro but am In Ont. Canada trying to raise funds and supplies. I already have about 1000 lbs of school books, medical supplies .... My problem is I can't figure out how to send it. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/11/00 08:47 PM

Kathryn...I'm in Toronto & am hoping to ship a crate on Friday. I've organized getting the crate to Houston where Rick Frantz will take it from there. Email me at [email protected] & let's chat.
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/12/00 02:06 AM

moving back to the top
Keep this going..thanks
Posted By: Ellie

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/12/00 02:38 AM

Atta girl Bev. You know how to make things happen. I'm working on some supplie from Canadian a Tire and MEC so might have something to add to your crate if there is space. Will let you know.

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/12/00 04:07 AM

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/12/00 01:56 PM

Yesterday we packed and loaded 3 pallets (about 60 large boxes) of food, clothing, shoes, and toiletries/first aid items donated from the Miami area. These will be shipped today and arrive in Belize on Monday. Teddy will fly down to walk the shipment through.

We are expecting more donations and will continue collecting, packing and shipping for the next few weeks.

Send packages to:
Belize Hurricane Relief
c/o Florida Expediters,Teddy Gonzalez
8336 NW 56th Street
Miami, FL 33166

Note to other organizers: Our shipping costs are also being donated. If it is cheaper to get your stuff to Miami, we'll work with you to get it down there. Call or email [email protected]

FYI - Teddy Gonzalez is the brother of Kevin Gonzalez, of Elvi's.

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/13/00 05:18 AM

To the top.

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/13/00 05:29 AM

This is really amazing!
I don't know what to say....
Thank you sooooo much
May it come back to you 10 fold.
God Bless!
Posted By: max

Re: DISASTER RELIEF ORGANIZERS - POST HERE! - 10/13/00 10:34 PM

NEMO Advises Duty Exemption On Emergency Supplies

Posted by Office of the Prime Minister on Oct-12-00 11:52am from 206.96.54.17

Office of the Prime Minister

NEMO Advises Duty Exemption On Emergency Supplies

11 October, 2000 - Belmopan
The National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) has advised the
Comptroller of Customs to waive all Duty and Sales Taxes on Emergency
Relief Supplies coming into Belize.

This means that no tax will be collected at entry points for goods
destined for people affected by Hurricane Keith.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board