AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage

Posted By: Marty

Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 06:03 PM

from Lan Sluder

Based on emails I've received and from reports on www.BelizeEmergency.net, nearly all hotels in Belize, even those in Corozal District, escaped Dean without serious damage.

Nearly all hotels, except those that are closed for routine seasonal maintenance, are open. A few hotels in Corozal Town say they will reopen later this week. Hotel Maya in Corozal Town and a couple of small Corozal guesthouses report they suffered some structural damage and haven't decided when they'll reopen.

Reporting hotels in Orange Walk District say they suffered no significant damage and are open (unless already closed for seasonal maintenance).

Most hotels on Ambergris Caye report that they suffered no structural damage. A few had minor damage and downed trees and some beach erosion. Most will reopen on Thursday, after grounds cleanup. Victoria House, Costa Maya Resort and a few others are closed for a short time for cleanup.

Hotels on Caye Caulker uniformly report no damage, and most have stayed open, though a few will reopen later this week or early next, after cleanup.

Properties in Belize, Cayo, Stann Creek and Toledo districts uniformly report no damage and are open for business, except for those already closed for routine seasonal maintenance.

Bottom line is that the tourism industry in Belize suffered very little damage and that except for some short-term cancellations during the next few weeks -- Belize's slowest tourism period anyway -- the tourism industry should not have any significant impact from Hurricane Dean.

--Lan Sluder

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 06:04 PM

here is a developing list of resorts in San Pedro and their reopening schedules

http://www.belizeemergency.net/dean/san_pedro.html

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 06:05 PM

here is the same list for Caye Caulker
http://www.belizeemergency.net/dean/caye_caulker.html
Posted By: Torc

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 06:20 PM

Hi,

I stumpled across the forum searching for info on Belize and the hurricane. Thanks Marty for all the info you have provided it has been very valuable. I am suppose to arrive to Belizean shores tomorrow and they are the one resort I cannot get any info on...Does anyone know what there status is?

Torc
Posted By: RadConDave

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 07:12 PM

I just talked with the stateside reservations person and she said that they had recieved an email from the Belizean Shores that said that they would be open for business on Friday. That there was only damage to beach and vegitation. She seemed to think that they still have problems with the power. My wife and I are arriving from NM on the 8th of Sept. Good Luck

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 07:36 PM

Thanks, I got a report from reservations that said tomorrow a few mins ago...I guess I should call back again soon and see what is up!

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 07:56 PM

Torc: Let us know what you hear. Even if they are not "open" I'm sure that they will not send you away.
Posted By: Saam

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:05 PM

Hello-

I'm with you on the lack of information coming out of Belizian Shores! The reservations office still has no answers and I am scheduled to arrive on Friday afternoon. Anyone with any information please forward- if not I will be postponing my trip! I understand this is an emergency situation but it seems like everyone except Belizian shores has there act together and is communicating!

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:07 PM

Hi,

I would think you will be good by Friday. Based on what reservations is saying they should be opened tomorrow but I too would like a confirmation on that since my flight leaves tomorrow morning from Toronto, Canada.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:12 PM

Saam & Torc,
Just go! You'll love it no matter what! I'm sure they'll be able to put you up when you get there.

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:13 PM

Can anyone confirm if the electricity is back on in the area of Belizian Shores? I'm not worried about beach erosion and foilage as much as arriving with no electricity or water. I've heard it was back up but then taken down due to problems.
Has anyone been in touch or seen the owners to get solid information? He really needs to communicate with his reservation office so we can be at ease in coming in this week...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:15 PM

Ok, it seems everytime you call the reservation desk, the answer changes...last guy said they should be open, this person says they are closed and she doesn't know whats going on, as the power is out....not sure what to do?

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:20 PM

Your talking to the same guy and girl in the office in Florida that I am! The office closes at 5:00 Eastern time...
I have no idea what to do...where would we stay if they have no electricity??

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:24 PM

I don't know, the guy was confident that they would be good even said they had a generator if the power is out...the girl is saying the complete opposite. Have you tried the resort directly? I have had no luck doing that myself, but man I need to know what to do before tomorrow morning.

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:28 PM

If the electricity is down I'm sure that is why we can't get thru to the hotel directly. At this point our best bet is to get information from people on the island and hope the owner surfaces soon!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Saam
If the electricity is down I'm sure that is why we can't get thru to the hotel directly. At this point our best bet is to get information from people on the island and hope the owner surfaces soon!

Hey guys stop worrying. If they can't accomodate you I can guarantee there will be a ton of rooms available just about anywhere on the Island. As for as the reliability of electricity, south of the bridge is your best bet. We own a condo just north of the bridge and stay about 5 months a year there. It seems that a week doesn't go by without a short power outage even when things are normal......it's the Belizean way! If this is one of the only oportunities for a while for you to go down......GO!
Posted By: Hon

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:37 PM

When I stayed at Coral Bay Villas two years ago, it was my understanding that it was managed by the same people who manage Belizean Shores, the Penlands.

This may or may not be current info but you could try calling Coral Bay directly - 011-501-226-3003. They are just south of town and likely have power.
Posted By: kwalkpt

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 09:50 PM

Re: Belizean Shores
We live at Coco Beach full time. It is being built by Herm Penland and is just down the beach from Belizean Shores. We left just before the hurricane hit so I don't have first hand information but can relay that Belizean Shores suffered little damage. Lost a few roof tiles and a lot of vegitation has been knocked down. Similar to most resorts on the island.

The internet at the resort is down as well as cell phones over most of San Pedro.

Herm's office in town has phone service. 501-226-2005

Doug Penland is at the resort: cell 501-624-5859 if it is working
Jim Henry is General Manager cell 501-605-4067 if it is working

We have talked to several friends and everything is doing well. Power outages in some places, but that should be repaired soon.

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 10:35 PM

Torc-

Just got off the phone to the Belizian Shores Stateside reservation office. Speak to Kathleen- she switched us to the Aqua Marina Suites which is owned by the same people. They have a great website: aquamarinasuites.com. They also own the Sunbreeze and she can put you up there too. I was tired of not knowing what to do with their electrical problem so she moved us over. If you can't get in touch with her by the time you leave I would go directly to either hotel and work it out. Let me know if you have further questions am will be happy to help you out in any way since were both in the same boat!

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 10:40 PM

Kwalkpt and Hon-

Thanks so much for the great information and phone numbers!
The stateside reservations desk simply gave up on Belizian Shores and booked us at the Aqua Marina Suites. Makes me feel so much better to have a hotel that is up and running! Looking forward to a great vacation now!

Thanks again- you guys are the best!

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/22/07 10:44 PM

I'm heading down...thanks for all your help
Posted By: CT_in_SF

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/23/07 12:21 AM

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone has any information on Caye Management? I have been trying to contact Mary via email and telephone for the past few days without success. I am scheduled to arrive Friday evening to one of Caye Management's rental properties. Based on feedback on all the forums, I don't think I will be changing my plans, but would love the peace of mind knowing everything is still a "go" from Caye Management's standpoint.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
CT
Posted By: J&ABritton

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/23/07 03:13 PM

Thanks RadConDave-
My wife and I will be arriving on Sept 6th so if you hear any other info and can forward it on to me, I'll be happy to buy you a beer!
Jim
Posted By: Portofino

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/23/07 06:53 PM

Portofino is open!

I guess this is the appropriate thread to announce Hotel/Resort news. Portofino Beach Resort is open and has had guests staying since yesterday (Wednesday 22 August).

Portofino Restaurant of course is also open, we have a free pick-up boat at Fido's dock at 6:30 for dinner, and we bring you back. Please call us for reservations at 220 5096* or for lunchtime transfers.

Jan van Noord

* Our telephone number may not work when calling from abroad - contrary to the message you may get the number is IN service; there is a problem with the telephone company in Belize - their advice is to try calling through the operator. This problem is not hurricane-related.
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/23/07 07:11 PM

Regardless -- go! I've stayed at Belizean Shores and they are good people that may just be having communication problems due to power constraints. You'll find a place to stay for sure -- no problems.

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/24/07 06:20 AM

J&ABritton:
It's a deal. That goes for you too! I can't wait to get down there. The 8th seems like an eternity away.
Have a wondeful trip, and we will look you up.
Dave and Christine
Posted By: J&ABritton

Re: Vast Majority of Hotels Report No Damage - 08/24/07 02:26 PM

Cool! Like I said, we'll arrive on the 6th and we're staying 'till the 14th.
Jim & Amanda

By the by, I did get an e-mail from Rose yesterday from Belizean Shores...

"Dear Jim

Well for now we are still out of power and hopefully it will be back very soon. The hotel will be open as long as there is access to water and electricity. We are in town at the internet cafe trying to do some emails, but you can keep in trying your emails to see when the power will be restored again.Look forward to your response.

Best
Rose"
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board