AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Does anyone know if Marti and Eldon are ok? We spent a great week with them a couple of weeks ago and are hoping they are ok, and that their beautiful resort fared ok.
Thanks
Laura
This is from Marti Cottrell, Singing Sands Inn. She is relating what she heard from her partner Eldon who waited out the storm on Maya Beach.
Marti says, "I'm still in Belmopan....and heading to Placencia just in a little bit. So e-mailing from Jack's house.
I talked to Eldon last night about 11:30....he was ok.
At that hour he had not been out to see much....as he saw a Jaguar out back... He had waited too long and couldn't get up the road to a higher spot....the wind came up so quickly....so he took the dogs and cats and went to the upper level in the crawl space and tied himself in. Apparently a lot of people stayed behind in Maya Beach.
He has called this morning....and reports that....
....the main building is standing....the cabanas are leaning and some are moved....
the pool is gone....the dock is gone...one of the fan trees fell on my truck....some other trees down....The water came up about 3 feet....all the freezers and frigs on the back porch on their sides...the propane tank on its side...
some beach side houses in PLacencia gone.....
that's about all I have heard....
I don't know when you will hear from me again....after I leave here.......
All the stuff in the van that didn't leave was under water including the computer equipment.....soooo
....and the most loving thing so far.....Pedro and family left Maya Center at 11pm, arrived back at Singing Sands at 2am to check on Eldon! Is that loyalty or what?
Please pass this on to all concerned....."
thanks, Marty
I feel much better knowing they are ok. If you hear from Marti again, please let her know we inquired
L
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board