AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Cindy Shivers Donations - 12/04/01 01:35 AM
I am in the process of collecting children's clothes per the request on the message board on 10/27. I am working with a local girl scout group. Does anyone have any ideas about the least expensive way to ship the items to the Placencia area? I have tried the Red Cross, UPS and US postal service but they didn't have any ideas for reduced prices for donated items. I am willing to send them regular rates but I could potentially send a lot more if the shipping costs were less. It might be less expensive if I could send them down with someone coming from the states. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Posted By: gailtor Re: Donations - 12/04/01 04:51 AM
Hi Cindy... Check this thread for messages earlier in October regarding shipping... they may still be valid options..

bobby grimes Topic: FREE SHIPMENTS TO BELIZE

mannyBUDFW Topic: Truck needed for Iris relief from Dallas

Marty Topic: Aid appeal from Belizeans United in Dallas/FW

I previously sent two big boxes of clothing (via Canada Post) from Toronto Canada to Manny at Belizeans United in Dallas/
/Fort Worth (BUDFW). And you're right the shipping was outrageous! I have more donations to send down but as yet, haven't co ordinated the shipping.

If anyone reading this has any ideas I would also appreciate hearing them. Having to ship things over the border makes it a little more complicated.

I have collected a small amount of cash, with the donations but would rather send that money to be used to build the shelters.

Cheers Gail
Posted By: LV Re: Donations - 12/06/01 07:59 AM
Hi Cindy and Gail:

I too have been trying to find a way ship donations to Belize. Best discount I have come up with is Fedex through my employer's account. They give a 40% discount on express and my company lets me use the account to send personal stuff as long as I write a check to cover it. I got them to add Fedex ground to the account today so that I can send packages. This will be most practical to send things from my location (Denver) to a freight point bound to Belize such as Sterling Freight in Houston or Wingbridge shipping in Mobile, as I expect international Fedex rates all the way to Belize would still be prohibitive even with the discount. Sterling trucks thru Mexico and I heard that used clothing was restricted from transport that way. So that leaves a shipping container or partial container or aircargo. I am thinking if there are enough donations that Bobby Grimes may do another shipping container, or maybe donors could go together on a partial container. Cindy, please e-mail me directly and maybe I can help you get it down there and also help with someone in Placencia to receive and distribute. I was just in Placencia last week and won't go back until February or I would gladly take it for you.

e-mail: Laura at [email protected]
Posted By: sarahsmile Re: Donations - 12/07/01 06:29 PM
Yes I have a similar problem...we collected donations that are still coming in and were counting on sending through the 'free shippping' deal but sat on it for too long. I know there must be some way we can get this stuff down that is cost effective. I did talk to the Belize Embassy in DC and well I didnt get clear information but something about sending stuff to Miami. I will call back to clarify. Also I have just sent an email to a woman who is responsible for all relief supplies coming into Belize. Maybe I can write her again to see if she knows anything else. Any suggestions?
Posted By: ckocian Re: Donations - 12/07/01 06:49 PM
I haven't a suggestion but a comment about this being the biggest hurdle generous people face when addressing needs in Belize, no matter what the situation. It's very, very hard to coordinate these efforts because the officials in Belize are never on the same page with each other much less outside sources. You might try to contact Belize Customs - Omar Sabido is the head tariff collector and we were able to speak directly with him by phone about an issue related to us personally.

There are two issues: the cost of the transport from the US and then the potential cost of duty if it's assessed, and who might be willing or able to pay it so the goods don't just get dumped into a warehouse and left to deteriorate or disappear. I hope someone can get this pulled together for now and all time!

[This message has been edited by ckocian (edited 12-07-2001).]
Posted By: belizeanblue Re: Donations - 12/09/01 09:02 PM
I live in the UK so I have no idea of the how's and who's involved. I know that a lot of trucks leave for Belize from LA and Houston taking goods to Belize on a contract basis. They are run by Belizean businessmen in the LA/Houston area. the people (belizeans) who operate this website will be able to give ample info if you choose to go this route. I think that seeing they are donations the operators would cut a deal. http://www.lafn.org/community/laben/

[This message has been edited by belizeanblue (edited 12-09-2001).]
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board