AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: mazzullo1 storm surge in Chetumal - 10/02/00 12:43 PM
If the reports of Chetumal Bay being emptied are correct, then everyone in town better hold on when the water returns. Get up to the Basil Jones area if possible; maximum height is 8 ft above sea level and people will be safe there. Pray for a miracle. This Keith is a killer!
Posted By: iluvbelize Re: storm surge in Chetumal - 10/02/00 12:47 PM
well, that's a killer. how are we supposed to let our family in san pedro know this? my husband is there alone, he's a texan, and has no idea about this storm surge. what in the world should i do??? i'm just about to lose it completely now.
Posted By: Marty Re: storm surge in Chetumal - 10/02/00 12:59 PM
Relax a little, folks on the ground are familiar with this, and the rain has let up enough for some communication on the ground, I'm sure folks are chatting more now than this time yesterday aM when they couldn't get out of the structures...
Posted By: mazzullo Re: storm surge in Chetumal - 10/02/00 04:56 PM
It appears from reports from Belize City that the water is SLOWLY rising again, which means that there probably won't be a flood into Chetumal Bay. That's good news for the folks on Ambergris. If they're in shelters they should be all right. I was concerned about the reports of reople trying to walk across Chetumal Bay. They'd never make it even with the water low because the bottom is terribly muddy in most places, and the mud is deep. Anyhow, the deepest part of the bay is west of Ambergris, and if there is a flood into it that area will take the brunt of the wave action. The backside of AC should experience flooding (which I understand they all ready are), but the height of San Pedro above sea level should shield them. Keep praying.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board