AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: dolfins gordon - 08/10/12 02:41 AM
oh gosh a next tropical storm name gordon just declare today at 3 oclock
Posted By: SimonB Re: gordon - 08/10/12 03:26 AM
Not true. There is only TD7 a tropical depression and it is a long way away. There are no named storms in the Atlantic except Ernesto which just passed us.
Posted By: Short Re: gordon - 08/10/12 04:39 AM
Mamacita, you know you can get banned for spreading rumours like this don't you?
Posted By: elbert Re: gordon - 08/10/12 11:11 AM
Denial is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept ...I would unban Mamacita :-)
Gordon
TD-7 forecast to become Tropical Storm Gordon
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-tropics-friday-20120810,0,6150931.story

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ernie B Re: gordon - 08/10/12 12:56 PM
You can get banned for less than that, LOL !
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: gordon - 08/10/12 04:41 PM
The facts are that we are now entering the height of the storm season and we should all be prepared, have a plan, have some supplies/cash/medicine, secure important documents and be ready to act if NEMO activates. We could expect to see a few more storm threats so it is time to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

No need to be alarmists, but also this is not a time to be in denial. However it is important that posters do their utmost to relay facts, not rumors and supposition.

Goodness someone thought that TD7 when named would be Florence - and those that were paying attention would have seen that Florence came and went during the Ernesto period.

The next storm named will be Gordon - it could be TD7's name, or perhaps the depression after it..... time will tell.

Please ensure that you stay informed via the National Hurricane Center and our local NEMO bulletins.

Reef Radio and Reef TV and Love FM will be relaying NEMO official bulletins.

Be prepared, be safe and be calm.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: gordon - 08/10/12 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ernie B
You can get banned for less than that, LOL !

Hey Ernie B, what are you doing here? I thought you were banned!
Posted By: pamkillen Re: gordon - 08/10/12 05:54 PM
All I know is that every Gordon in my life has been a real ***hole
Posted By: Marty Re: gordon - 08/10/12 06:42 PM
TD Seven WInd probabilities

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Marty Re: gordon - 08/10/12 09:25 PM
Jeff Masters today:

Dry air and shear may be significant enough to destroy TD 7 on Sunday, as predicted by the GFS and ECMWF models. These models tried to kill off Ernesto in a similar situation last week, so I am inclined to believe TD 7 will survive for the coming five days, but struggle.

Navy has it east of Belize City in five days, but with winds of only 40 knots
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bear Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/11/12 04:22 PM
The discussions on the NHC pages are invaluable in forming more accurate assessments of threat. Highly recommended reading for anyone tracking the TD's as they are born in the Atlantic...

w/ regards to TD7 it was in trouble almost immediately...here is their most recent synopsis just to tack a punctuation point to Marty's last post.

...AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING THE DEPRESSION
HAS OBSERVED SHARP WIND SHIFTS AT AN ALTITUDE OF 1000 FT...BUT IT
HAS BEEN UNABLE TO LOCATE A PERSISTENT AND WELL-DEFINED CENTER OF
CIRCULATION. THE DEPRESSION HAS THEREFORE DEGENERATED INTO A
TROPICAL WAVE...AND ADVISORIES ARE BEING DISCONTINUED AT THIS TIME...

NHC runs about a dozen computer models every 6 or so hours as part of their forcasts; each model with its own set of assumptions and data format. Each colored line on the map in Elberts post represents the results of one model run. A projected track does not necessarily mean is what's going to happen, its an indication of what could happen based on the assumptions and data that are "fed" into it...those tracks can be based on worst case, best case conditions and typically updated with data received from a variety of sources such as the Hurricane Hunters and other sensors, like NOAA bouys.

When a new model is being written for use by NHC it is "calibrated" against storm track data from prior storms to see how well the new model "predicts" the track of the historic storm.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/11/12 10:09 PM
Bye bye, Gordon! We hardly knew ye... grin
Posted By: Marty Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/11/12 10:42 PM
Jeff Masters:

Tropical Depression Seven is dead, ripped apart by moderate wind shear of 10 - 20 knots this Saturday morning. The storm was too small and fragile to survive the shear, thanks to dry air from the Sahara that had infiltrated the storm environment. None of the reliable models forecasts that TD 7 will regenerate as it tracks westwards across the Caribbean over the next four days. The remains of the storm should arrive in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula on Wednesday.

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/392196/ for the full Tropical Weather Report
Posted By: Bear Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/11/12 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Marty
Jeff Masters:...thanks to dry air from the Sahara that had infiltrated the storm environment...

I wonder if you can bottle that stuff...
Posted By: shuffles Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/12/12 12:09 AM
I love to hear this!
Posted By: tortuga.chica Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/13/12 03:32 PM
Thrilled to hear that Gordon turned into a non-event. I was so blessed with amazing weather during my visit the first week of August...that was until Ernesto showed up. But it was all good. Had another amazing time with great friends. Looking forward to next trip... LOL
Posted By: Bear Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/13/12 03:45 PM
I don't think TD7 actually never got a name did it? I think Gordon was a misnomer applied early in the thread. Now I cant remember whether we on the Atlantic have our own set of names or if we share the alphabet with the Pacific...theyve already had an F and a G.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/13/12 04:03 PM
We don't share names - the Pacific has a set and we on the Atlantic have a set. Someone was a tad hasty when they named this thread. We haven't seen Gordon yet, but no doubt that name will be taken in the upcoming weeks.
Posted By: Bear Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/17/12 06:07 AM
Well Gordon now exists up to the NE by the Bahamas. TD7 has been resurrected w/ a 40% chance of cyclonic formation in the next 48 hrs...
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/17/12 04:03 PM
Did anyone hear the long boom last night, around 12:03am?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Remnants of TD7 - 08/17/12 07:43 PM
There were so many I couldn't pinpoint any especially loud or extended booms.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board