AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 06:40 PM
If you have any info on ST.Matthew's students
please post it here so we can have one thread to look into.
My daughter, Nadya Rashkovetsky, has been staying at the Banyan Bay Villa. I've been following the message board for the past 30 hours. It scares me that there are still no calls from San Pedro. Any up to date info would be appreciated.
God bless you Marty! Your site was the only reliable source of information!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 06:45 PM
Concerned and worried about my son, Demetrios (Dee) Louis, and Jill Hallonon. Both are St. Matthews Med Students on Ambergris, San Pedro. Please let me know at [email protected] Any information is deeply appreciated. All that Marty has been doing is deeply appreciated as well. Things can be rebuilt, lives cannot.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 06:49 PM
Anyone seen my sister, Susanne Tracy, med-student at St. Matthews who's hanging out at Clay's place somewhere in downtown San Pedro?
Tell her the family say's hi and to call home as soon as she can.

[email protected]
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 06:51 PM
there are sporadic calls, but mostly coming out, and few and far between. but every single one of them say everyone is fine.

Banyan Bay, Banana Beach, and Royal Palms have lots med students. I talked to Banana Beach yesterday, the students were putting matresses up against the windows, and were all fine.

will report more when we can. after mitch, there was this same blackout for communications, then suddenly the dam breaks and everyone finds out folks are fine and where they are. I know its difficult to wait, but its the only way. grab those worry beads, and hang on.
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 06:53 PM
I am looking for my
husband, Gary Pletcher. He is a professor at the medical school staying at
Banana Beach, #23. I have tickets to fly there Wednesday. I am sure that
is not going to happen. I need to know whether to stay put or attempt the
first flight out. Please give him my love.

Darlene Pletcher
[email protected] home
[email protected]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 07:04 PM
My wife is Angelica Imel
She too is a Medical Student at St Matthews
Haven't heard from her since Sat AM via email

If someone gets a Call from Banana Resort, Please get a list of students there and post here.

Thanks,
Bob Imel
[email protected]
Posted By: KRatnayake Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 07:05 PM
We are looking for our daughter 'Ana' who is a med studetn at St Matthews. She is in Rommy's place with another 2-3 students(BJ and Erik) Any information is appreciated
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 07:27 PM
-
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 08:13 PM
I am looking for Anjanette Varnado, she is a med. student. She is with a few other students, their names are Justin, Steven and Michelle. Any info would be great!
Thanks,
Kelsea
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 08:34 PM
The rescue flight over the Ambergris Key to assess damage and evacuation needs was canceled due to the weather conditions in Belize City (per US Embassy in Belize).
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 09:13 PM
Rick Dowell, with the US State Department Emergency Evacuation Center, reported to us that David Chang with the US Consulate office in Belize has been in communication with John Grief, Jr. of Tropicaire. Mr. Grief indicates he has been in contact with representatives on Ambergris Caye as well as administrators of St. Matthew's University School of Medicine. He stated there were no reports of medical emergencies or fatalities on Ambergris Caye. An administrator of St. Matthew's University reported that all campus buildings appear to be intact.

Most damage observed thus far was apparently confined to the Western side of the island.

We will continue to update this information as it is available to us.
Betsy Thornton
St. Matthews
THIS IS DAMN GOOD NEWS!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 09:28 PM
My daughter, Sharon Dhaliwal is a student at st. matthews, ans she is staying at humming bird. I talked to her at 11.00am on sunday prior to phone lines went down. I am not able to contact her since then. We are concerned and would like to know if she is OK. I would also like to find out about her friend Phil Chan. They both living in the same building. I thank you in advance.
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 09:29 PM
you are oh so right. I'm glad someone noticed! I laughed and cried when I heard it...
me too Marty! i've been online on and off since 7:30 last night..i've been living and breathing this board...hope you are at least eating :-)
Posted By: KRatnayake Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 09:35 PM
This is good news, but students are scattered all over San Pedro. Untill we know all the students are doing ok, we can't rest. I hope for the best.
Posted By: pguajardo Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 10:35 PM
Hi, I am trying to get information about my sister who's in her first semester at St. Mathews Med. School. Her name is Jessica O. Guajardo, and she's from Texas. I last talked to her early Sunday morning.
If you all have any information, please e-mail at:
[email protected]
Thanks.
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 11:07 PM
-
I am looking for Bill and Michelle Zachry. Bill is a St. Matthews med student. Michelle is my daughter. I last heard from them on Sunday morning. They live at Xanadu,the dome apartments on the beach. If anyone knows how they fared could you please let me know,either here or [email protected]. Thanks,Camellia

[This message has been edited by camellia w. stephenson (edited 10-02-2000).]
Posted By: seema Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/02/00 11:44 PM
i'm looking for Matthew Thomas (MANU) and friends...they are med students at St. Matthews...any news would be sincerely appreciated...

my email address is [email protected].
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 12:43 AM
my brother tommy canales is staying at bannana beach resort. Wondering if anyone has heard if he is o.k. - and how the building held up.
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 02:20 AM
-
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 03:57 AM
-
Posted By: pguajardo Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 05:17 AM
Well, any recent news on St. Mathews Med students? Family concerned.
[email protected]
Posted By: ravips Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 06:06 AM
Trying to find out information about my
son Ram Ravi ( first year med student).
Any information is really appreciated.
Please e-mail me at [email protected]

[This message has been edited by ravips (edited 10-02-2000).]
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 06:33 AM
HERE IS A MESSAGE FROM THE HON. PATTY ARCEO, SAN PEDRO REPRESENTATIVE:
ALTHOUGH 'KEITH' HAS BEEN BEATING IT'S WAY UP AND DOWN OUR SHORES, YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY HERE ARE BEING WELL CARED FOR. THEY HAVE PURIFIED DRINKING WATER, ARE WELL FED, HAVE BEEN KEPT SAFE AND COMFORTABLE AND ARE BEING LOOKED AFTER BY LOCAL GOVERNMENT. OUR COMMUNICATION TOWERS ARE PRESENTLY DOWN, BUT IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS, WHEN THIS HAS SETTLED DOWN, EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS OR FAMILY MEMBERS WILL PERSONALLY BE CALLING YOU. ANYONE KNOWING THE RESILIENCY OF THE SAN PEDRANOS KNOWS THAT DESPITE THIS SET BACK, WE WILL BE UP AND RUNNING IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS AND WAITING TO WELCOME THE MANY OTHER FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES WHO CARE TO VISIT THIS BEAUTIFUL ISLAND OF OURS.
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 02:03 PM
if possible i would like to pass this info to my daughter: I made a reservation on the AA flight from Belize to Miami. it is for Wednesday Flight #2104, leaves Belize at 1:25 and arrives Miami at 5:31PM Reservation #RPOPJD, about $200.00 thanks a bunch if this can be done, Nicoles Mom
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 02:20 PM
We, are looking for information on Ron Migues a 1st. semester med. student @ St. Matthews, as well as Violetta Karas, any information on these two from Louisiana would be greatly appreciated. Hope that all there are doing fine.
Posted By: Logan Moore Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 02:27 PM
We had contact with Ron and Leitia on Sunday at 9:30 they are in their apartment with fourteen other medical students. Jennifer Hortons mother talk with them last from all the contact with other parents we have had.
The had pulled their resources and prepared like any Louisianana would do for a Hurricane. They where having strong winds, but their apartment is concrete and sturdy.
Posted By: MammaCarol Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 03:36 PM
Please pass this on if possible:
Hi, Buck [Linked Image] Not that we haven't been SO worried, but we know that you are a survivor. How would we in Wyoming know you'd need to know how to deal with a hurricane instead of a snow cave? Your family and friends anxiously await your safe return and look forward to hearing about the events of the last few days via your brand of storytelling. The reservation is made, the invites are out....be there, Thursday, 7pm, Nani's. Abby (and her girls) will appreciate your presence at her wedding.
We love you so much. Dad & caribou, Mom & Ronnie, Joseph & Bill, Camille with heels & eye make-up, Nani & Papa, DeeDee, the Noyans & Heinrichs, Ryan, Lane & Grizzly, and many others. Stai bene, figlio nostro. Vediamo subito.
I'm still hoping to hear something about the medical students who are at Banana Beach. My husband, John Sayarath was there on Sunday. Any information would be appreciated. His daughters and I miss him.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 04:38 PM
When you get through to her would you please tell Robin Baker Altman and her 3 year old son Randy that we have all been praying for them here. Dad and Rhonda, Mom and Carl, Bobby and Susan & King, Becky and Tripp, Shireen, Stefanie and Charlie and the Schmoo. We are all waiting to hear. Love from all of us.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 05:25 PM
Marty, if by any chance you get contacted by St.Matthew's people, please ask them to post a list off all students who are on the AC.
There is a suspicion that some of them left on Saturday. When the list is posted it would be possible to figure out who is missing. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 06:02 PM
From St. Matthews Administration
We have been in contact this morning with David Chang with the US Consulate Office in Belize. He has been in contact with Steve Shultz, who is on Ambergris Caye and is a ham radio operator with Tropic Air Airlines.

All inhabitants of Ambergris Caye are reported in good condition this morning. We have no reports of injuries. There is plenty of food available.

The Belize International Airport is not open due to water on the runway.
Therefore, no planes can currently fly out and into Ambergris Caye. The Belize Defense Force has been activated to attempt to get planes into Belmopan that could then do a flyover of Ambergris Caye to evaluate the situation from the air.

We will continue to update this site as we get available information.

Phone service into or out of Ambergris Caye is unlikely to be available in the next 24-48 hours.

Please bear with us as we obtain additional information.

Radio reports that boats with supplies are now leaving for SPO & Cay Ck.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-03-2000).]
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 07:48 PM
St. Matthew's University students are currently being evacuated from Ambergris Caye to Belize City. As soon as the International Airport reopens, students will be evacuated from Belize.

The President of St. Matthew's University has a list of all St. Matthew's students. All students are accounted for and are well. The students will be staying at the Princess Hotel in Belize City.
Posted By: Marty Re: St.Matthew's students?- Post here - 10/03/00 08:02 PM
the number for the Princess Hotel is
011501-232670
011501-232663
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board