AmbergrisCaye.com Home
We are three women traveling from San Pedro to Tikal for a couple of nights. I See that the hotel dining was NOT recommended, so any good suggestions would be Truly appreciated...also, any warnings that should be heeded while we are there. Is a tour guide worthwhile while at the ruins? I love that there is so much good info available here. Thanks!
Absolutely get a tour guide at the ruins. Tikal is so vast and so rich in history that I've been a few dozens times and learn something new with each visit. Make sure you get to see El Mundo Perdido and other outlying structures. Meals in the hotel parks are adequate and sometimes better at the comidors in the park. I prefer the Jungle Lodge of the three lodges. Power goes off at all around 10pm. Depending upon how intriqued you are by the Maya culture, you might want to consider spending a night or two on the island village of Flores and get a taste of Guatemala. Nice restaurants here-La Luna to name just one. You'll love the boat ride to the villages on the lagoon and I love Ceibal ruins, great day trip on the Rio Pasion. And Ya Xha ruins about 45 minutes away-way cool. Ruins of Topoxte on an island on the lagoon. In incredible area. On flores I like Hotel Peten, Santana and Casona De La Isla. FF Coppola just opened or is soon opening a hotel in the areas as well.
Definitely get a tour guide. The guide who gave us a ride to Tikal from San Ignacio told us we didn't need one, but he'd get us one if we absolutely insisted. We should have insisted. He discouraged it b/c then he could pocket the extra cash. I really wish we had a guide. Tikal is amazing; you will be awe-struck for sure!
I read horrible reports about the food at the Jungle Lodge prior to staying there - but the food was decent/good when I stayed there for 2 nights in April. As a NYC foodie, I think I have good taste!

The only complaint I had about the place is the 2" gap between the wall and ceiling dividing each cottage into 2 rooms. I could hear every word the couple in the room next door said wink But, being right there - plus the howler monkeys hanging out at the hotel - made it all worthwhile.
Yes, by all means get a guide. I got a college student that was studying Mayan History and he was so pumped and so awesome. His youthful exuberance was contagious!! My two teenaged sons thought he hung the moom. He took us of the guided footpaths and gave us a special tour of the surrounding jungle as well, and even discussed the botanicals. It was so worth the money. There was a great place to eat just acoss the street from the entrance to the park. Best stew chicken I've ever had! wink
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board