AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Drive to Tikal or Fly to Tikal

Posted By: MikaGayle

Drive to Tikal or Fly to Tikal - 09/20/05 04:35 PM

My friends and I will be arriving in AC on October 6. We were thinking about taking a few days to go to Tikal. For those of you who live there what would you recommend as the safest option? Is getting across the border really a problem? Should we fly to Tikal? Or would we be just as safe to rent a car and drive across ourselves?
Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: Drive to Tikal or Fly to Tikal - 09/20/05 06:53 PM

Well, if you're adventurous and don't mind wondering what's ahead beyond the turn in the road, go with the car.... me? I'd take the plane... no corners eek
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: Drive to Tikal or Fly to Tikal - 09/20/05 10:17 PM

Only one rental agency will allow you to cross the border in their vehicles, but cannot offer insurance. So you break it,you bought it.
Posted By: tweedybear

Re: Drive to Tikal or Fly to Tikal - 09/20/05 11:13 PM

We were going & were flying to Flores. It's less time, more time to see the Ruins which is a must!
Posted By: Littleengine

Re: Drive to Tikal or Fly to Tikal - 09/21/05 01:06 AM

I'm leaving AC Oct 17 to go to Tikal... was thinking of flying but will now probably take the bus. Flying is definitely faster, but there's a lot to be said for taking the scenic route if you've got the time.
Posted By: tweedybear

Re: Drive to Tikal or Fly to Tikal - 09/21/05 05:31 PM

Don't forget to watch the Surviror - it's specific quest is Tikal - never watched this show before - however we are focued in on the Ruins. See now why my Dr. doesn't want me to climb these Ruins until after knee surgery. They're stunning along with beautiful.
Posted By: Littleengine

Re: Drive to Tikal or Fly to Tikal - 09/21/05 11:32 PM

I tell everyone to watch Survivor to get an idea of where I'm going. Where they filmed is very close (well, relatively) to Tikal so it's great to get an idea of the area before I actually get there. Of course... seeing and hearing about the howler monkeys, tarantulas, crocodiles, pit vipers, etc... have some of my friends convinced I'll never make it home. LOL
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board