AmbergrisCaye.com Home

waterfalls

Posted By: tammyd

waterfalls - 01/22/02 09:51 PM

We are staying at the Jaguar Paw for 4 days.
While we are inland before going to ac I would like to go see the sites. I am intrested in seeing some waterfalls and a good ruins. Can anyone recommend where to go. I will have a car. Also any good places to eat? This site is great it has helped me plan so much.
Posted By: davem

Re: waterfalls - 01/23/02 01:00 AM

You could go to the Mountain Pine Ridge and see 1000 Foot Falls (also called Hidden Valley Falls). I would suggest also having lunch at Five Sisters Lodge - the lodge is named after a waterfall in the valley below that you can swim in. There is also Rio On pools in the MPR, where you can swim and see falls.

I'd also suggest Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary - it's south of Hopkins on the Southern Hwy and would probably take 2.5-3 hours to get to from Jaguar Paw, but on the way you can stop at Blue Hole National Park and also see the Stann Creek Valley, through which the Hummingbird Highway runs. There is a great jungle waterfall at Cockscomb.

If you're going to the MPR, I'd suggest visiting Caracol, a huge ruin in the Chiquibul area south of the pine forest. If you don't go to the MPR, I'd say that Xunantunich would be a good bet - it's off the Western Hwy between San Ignacio and Benque. You could also stop at Cahal Pech, on the hill overlooking San Ignacio - the ruin in not huge but it is interesting.

Dave

[This message has been edited by davem (edited 01-22-2002).]
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board