AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: chanin bus to Caves Branch? - 03/19/02 10:45 PM
how hard would it be to go from BZE to Ian Anderson's Caves Branch by bus? I guess we'd have to get off at the Belmopan stop and board another bus heading along Hummingbird Hwy to Dangriga. I recall reading somewhere that the bus will drop you off at the entrance to Ian's. Has anyone done this? I'd like to try it if it's not too much of a pain, I know we will probably have to wait a little at the stops, but that sure beats the $100 per person I think Caves Branch charges for transfers. (seems like a lot!)
Also, an older book I have said that Discovery Expeditions runs a shuttle from Belize City to San Ignacio for $29. Anyone know if they are still around and/or might take us to Caves Branch?
Thanks for the help.
Looking forward to the April "board mtg" at B.C.'s!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: bus to Caves Branch? - 03/20/02 01:09 AM
A bus would be no problem, as long as you didn't get started too late in the day. If coming in at the International Airport, you also have the problem of getting into Belize City -- either take a taxi (US$17.50) to Novelo's terminal, or hike to the Northern Hghwy and flag down a bus into town.

You will have to change at Belmopan. Ian's place is about a mile off the Hummingbird.

Discovery Exeditions is still in business. I believe they charge about US$35 per person to San Ignacio -- don't know what they would charge to take you to Cave's Branch.

Add up the time and money and you may decide to spring for Ian's service ... or just do what I do: Rent a car and do stuff on your own. It usually saves money over taking tours and transports and gives you a whole new world to explore.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: cats Re: bus to Caves Branch? - 03/26/02 02:42 AM
I was there in Jan02 we took the transfer from Ian it was 120.00 for 4 people My daughter took a taxi with her boyfriend and paid 75.00 for 2. Tell everyone
Hello from the Katz's you will have a great time It was one of the best trips we took as a family.
Posted By: rrenteri Re: bus to Caves Branch? - 04/02/02 05:47 AM
Hi. I was in Belize last November, and we took the Dangriga bus from Belmopan to get to Caves Branch. (We were coming from San Ignacio.) It was simple to do and inexpensive; just ask the driver to drop you off when you get on. Caves Branch has a small bus stop with roof and a large sign, so you'll know you are in the right place. The walk in to Ian Anderson's is along a dirt road and is a half-mile to mile long.

When we left, we hadn't reached the bus stop when we heard the bus coming. We started running down the road with our backpacks on but saw the bus cruise on by. However, the bus driver had seen us, stopped, and backed the bus up to pick us up, the kind soul!

Have a great trip. My wife and I loved ours.

Rene'
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board