AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Harvey Seed plantings - 07/18/09 05:53 PM
Seeking information about the germination and growing of tomato & bell pepper seeds in the Cayao region, especially around Armenia Village. We planted several varieties of these seeds and the germination went fairly well but the sprouts seemed to wither away and die. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Seed plantings - 07/18/09 07:10 PM
I've been told that the trouble is with the cut worms in the black dirt. Was advised to use potting soil with polymers and plant in tubs. So far tomatoes, peppers, basil doing well. Sunflower seeds never germinated.
Posted By: pamkillen Re: Seed plantings - 07/19/09 05:23 PM
you can also cut out tops of tin cans and put around seedings going 1 inch in to the dirt. That will keep cut worms away. I also put some habeneros in the food processor and liquify and turn in to a spray. It is a great organic insecticide.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Seed plantings - 07/19/09 05:48 PM
do you spray the plants or around the perimeter of the plants?
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com Re: Seed plantings - 07/20/09 02:10 AM
My grandfather used to make a hot pepper spray (boiling them) that he used in his garden to keep insects AND animals like rabbits and deer away. He would spray it right on the plant if I remember correctly. He also used to sprinkle powdered cinnamon across the door thresholds to keep ants out.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board