AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: east of eden Jungle resorts - 08/03/03 01:42 AM
My wife and I are coming to Belize for the first time in Nov. we would like to split our time between the Cayo districk and the coast. Can anyone suggest places to say near Tikal? would people recommend Placencia or Ambergris Caye for a place to stay? thanks we can't wait to go!
Posted By: nnr Re: Jungle resorts - 08/03/03 03:27 PM
Chaa Creek is wonderful. Depending on your budget, you can stay at their camp (which has neat screened cottages), or at the resort in the bungalows. They have a good website you can check out, and they regularly have tours leaving for Tikal.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: Jungle resorts - 08/03/03 05:51 PM
If you want a jungle lodge then GO to Chan Chich - you will not regret it. Having said that it is not that close to Tikal but is doable - Tikal is well worth the effort, although the hotel we stayed visited for one night at the entrance was basic - we just put up with it for one night and it was more than compensated by Tikal itself - make sure you climb to the top of, I think, temple 5 (or was it 4) - anyway the view across the tree tops to temples 1 and 2 is difficult to imagine or describe!
Posted By: Sandy C Re: Jungle resorts - 08/03/03 08:28 PM
Banana Bank Lodge is also great near Belmopan: 4,000 acres, horseback riding, jungle, wildlife, great cabanas and lodge, wonderful owners/hosts (Carolyn is considered by many as the leading artist in Central America). They can organize and book trips all over the Cayo for you and to Tikal. They arranged an overnight trip to Tikal for us with a great guide at a good price. Sunset and sunrise from the tops of a Temple are spectacular; lots of great jungle wildlife in Tikal. Our Tikal lodging was next to the park entrance; the Tikal trip also included a fun visit to Flores. Banana Bank let us keep our cabana for no charge the night we were at Tikal. Have fun...
Posted By: klcman Re: Jungle resorts - 08/05/03 03:38 AM
am always amazed at those who promote/recommend places they have never seen....self indulgent pompous know-it-alls. How in the blue blazes would you know, LF, that they would like it better? Clairvoyant? Omniscient

and I doubt you know much of anything about Barb as well.
Posted By: Brianac Re: Jungle resorts - 08/05/03 07:32 PM
Lotus,
I think you are catching more flack than you deserve. Thanks for your pix and your observations made during your journey. Everyone has their own opinions and should speak theirs even if it conflicts with others' without back-biting. Those reading all the opinions are smart enough to look at both sides.
Now if only the Bush administration would see it that way.....JUST A JOKE ! ! !
(well, sort-of).
Posted By: klcman Re: Jungle resorts - 08/06/03 01:03 AM
laugh
Posted By: streechie Re: Jungle resorts - 08/13/03 03:01 PM
is DuPlooys still around? I had a wonderful stay with them 'bout 3 years ago. A great family runs the place!!
Posted By: mayatravel Re: Jungle resorts - 08/13/03 03:24 PM
Still around, still great, still has an assortment of rooms and rates and offers guided tours of Tikal daily. Formidible botanic garden with orchid house on premises.

[email protected]
Posted By: seashell Re: Jungle resorts - 08/13/03 06:25 PM
Myself, I didn't care for Banana Bank. It was not very jungle-like for a jungle resort. The grounds were spacious and well-groomed. For whatever reason, I felt almost like a prisoner there and I couldn't wait to leave after our 3 days were up. I hated to see the animals caged and leashed as they were. My cabana, while unique, was so dark that I couldn't see what was in my suitcase. While the food was wholesome, I wasn't overly impressed with it either for the price.

If you are very observant of your Christianity, Banana Bank may appeal to you more. On a side note, I've heard that you can now get a beer there, but you couldn't when I stayed there a year and 1/2 or so ago.

I don't ride and so wasn't impressed with the horses either, though if I were a rider, that may have been a larger draw for me.

We took a couple of canoes down the river and that was very nice. Banana Bank arranged for us to go to Actun Tunichal Muknal and I'm certainly glad for that. Tunichal Muknal is amazing and I loved every minute of it.

The jungle lodge that impressed me was Jaguar's Paw . . . now that place is jungly!
Posted By: Turnbun1971 Re: Jungle resorts - 08/14/03 02:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Belmopan is not close to Tikal, or at least not as close as Chaa Creek or any other hotel/resort near San Ignacio. The Guatemala border is walking distance from the Town of San Ignacio, so I'd stay around there if you want to go to Tikal (which is AMAZING).

I have friends who went to Placencia on their honeymoon and then came to AC for our wedding. They are returning to AC with us this month. They told me they prefer AC.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have fun!!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Jungle resorts - 08/14/03 03:27 PM
To clarify:

San Ignacio town is not within walking distance of the Guatemala border (unless you consider 9 miles an easy walk). The town of Benque Viejo is the one that is near the border.

Banana Bank is at around Mile 46 of the Western Highway. San Ignacio is another 20 miles west. But certainly you can easily make day trips to Tikal from Belmopan/Banana Bank. It just takes another 25 or 30 minutes or so as compared with San Ignacio.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: CND Re: Jungle resorts - 08/14/03 05:03 PM
As far as jungle resorts go I can't believe no one has mentioned Ian Anderson's Caves Branch an hour or so from SI but surely in the jungle. We did the river of caves tour it was great!
Posted By: Turnbun1971 Re: Jungle resorts - 08/15/03 02:26 AM
Thanks for the correction, Lan. I thought the border was much closer. It seemed much closer when we were there. Sorry I caused some confusion!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board