AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Compass Tikal (okay, not part of Belize) - 09/28/04 11:25 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts about traveling to Tikal for a couple of days?

Do you know if a travel visa is required or malaria meds are recommended?
Tikal is amazing. A must see if you have the time. No visa needed for U.S., Canadian and many other nationals. Malaria is present in the Peten, but if you're there for only a short time and use bug juice at peak times for mozzies, you probably don't need malaria prophylaxsis.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Compass Re: Tikal (okay, not part of Belize) - 09/29/04 12:17 AM
Thanks Lan!
Posted By: specv Re: Tikal (okay, not part of Belize) - 10/01/04 06:39 AM
Very much worth the effort.

Search using my nickname for my previous posts about Tikal. Staying onsite is great.

Some of my pics are here in the Belize3 album http://community.webshots.com/user/jspecv

Jeff
Posted By: Scuba-John Re: Tikal (okay, not part of Belize) - 10/14/04 01:11 AM
Tikal, One of the major Maya Sites, Very well preserved and many of the buildings remain touched by excavations. Those that are including in the acropolis are fantastic. The temple of the Jaguar and its sister are featured in the opening footage to Star Wars. In other words it is out of this world. It is only rivaled by the other major sites such as Copan, small sites in the same area but still in Belize can be found easily and very close or in San Ignacio such as Xunantunich, or Cahal Pech. Having worked on excavations with University of Trent, SMU and SWT at the latter two sites Tikal has unforgettable features. Look for remnants of the pigment used to color the site in the lower plazas and be sure to take a lager memory card or lots of film.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board