AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Sun trakker Mopan River resort - 03/23/05 04:15 AM
We are staying the weekend at Mopan and would like some suggestions on Tikal, Xunan or Cahal Pech for a day trip. Trip is first of April.

Also, we are trying to determine the best clothing to wear for this trip and tubing.

Thanks
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: Mopan River resort - 03/23/05 05:48 AM
It's a beautiful area where you are staying. My husband and I stayed in San Elana. We did a day trip to Tikal that was arranged by the resort where we stayed. We wished we had stayed overnight. There is an enormous amount to see and experience at Tikal and one day was a tease. As for Xuan, Cahal Pech, we did both in one day. They are very close to each other and no where near as large an area as Tikal although both worth a visit. Cahal is smaller but more fully excavated and was fasinating. Xuantunich was larger structures and more remote. In between, we went to the Trek stop, rented tubes and did a 3 hour tube down the river from the bridge at Xuantiunich to Clarissa Falls. It was a full day. The Trek shop picks drops you off and picks you up. As for what to wear, light loose clothing, lots of shorts and tees, bring bug spray and suntan lotion and good hiking sandals or sneakers. Have fun!
Posted By: Hon Re: Mopan River resort - 03/23/05 01:57 PM
We stayed at Mopan River Resort in January and loved it so much that we plan to go back next year.

They only go to Tikal on Tuesdays and Fridays. You'll leave the resort at 7:00am and return at about 5:30pm so it's a full day with no opportunity for other activities. Tikal is a powerful experience and should not be missed! I think if I was that close that I would do an independent trip if I couldn't get on the resort tour.

We went to Xunantunich on a Wednesday but, because it's so close to the resort, I think they go every other day. It's a morning only so you'll have time to explore Benque or kayak down the river in the afternoon. Xunantunich is the first Mayan ruin that we have ever seen and I was, and still am, totally in awe of it.

We were only there for 4 days and the Cahal Pech trip was not offered during our stay. When we go back next year, we are going to be sure to allow time for it as I hear that it is spectacular. It is another of their 1/2 day tours so again there will be time for another activity in the afternoon.

For all the land tours, I wore cargo style shorts with lots of pockets for the camera, wallet, etc. Many people had backpacks or waist packs but I found mine too hot. You need a good wide brimmed hat (if you find a nice white nylon one there, it's mine...I lost it!) and loose shirts with at least short sleeves. I saw some blazing sunburns on people wearing tank or 'strap shoulder' tops. I wore good 'wicking' socks and excellent running style shoes for traction and was glad I did. Some people in sandals had trouble climbing the ruins.

We didn't see any bugs...none...even at dusk on the river! Maybe we just lucked out. I wore a 45 sunscreen all over my pasty body and I still got some colour through it...the sun is strong! Respect it if you want to enjoy your vacation.

I know you'll have an excellent experience at Mopan River regardless of the activities you're offered. Say hi to Pam, Jay and Alexi (if you are lucky enough to have him for your tours) from Cath and Dan.

Hon
Posted By: Sun trakker Re: Mopan River resort - 03/24/05 01:06 AM
SuzyQ and Hon, thanks for the information. We can't wait to get there.

We are going to pack very light which hasn't been our specialty on other trips. We always seem to overpack.

AT Mopan, since it is all inclusive, did they have bottled water to take on the trips?

Sun Trakker
Posted By: Hon Re: Mopan River resort - 03/24/05 02:51 AM
They provided bottles of municipal water (frozen by request for day long trips) which is perfectly safe to drink.

They will also have a cooler filled with cold soft drinks and Belikin on ice in the van or 'jungle buggy' for the ride back to the resort.

If there is anything else you want, the staff will go out of their way to provide it for you if at all possible.

Hon
Posted By: evening Re: Mopan River resort - 03/25/05 08:25 PM
Sun Tracker-

See you there - I'm arriving on the 2nd!

Eva
Posted By: Sun trakker Re: Mopan River resort - 03/28/05 04:16 PM
Eva,

Look us up. We arrive the first and leave on Monday. Going to San Pedro after that.

Rich
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board