AmbergrisCaye.com Home

AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS...

Posted By: Kra-Z-K

AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/09/05 08:34 AM

I did the ATM cave tour from san ignacio in December and it truly was an amazing experience, probably my favorite tour in Belize so far.

It is hard to find info on the tour (yes, I googled it.) Does anyone know how much it costs and from where it can be done from? I do not believe it is offered from AC as it is so far west near the boarder. Would it be silly to go all the way to San Ignacio for just one night, do that tour the next day, and then return the same day back to AC? How long is the tour? Whole or half day and could I return to AC after the tour or is there not enough time?

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/09/05 08:37 AM

and if it is not a good idea to go to San Ignacio one day, sleep over, do the ATM cave and head back to AC that evening does anyone have other tour ideas if I want to spend one day/night with someone on the mainland. It does not have to be Cayo, I am open to anywhere.

Does anyone know how long by bus it takes from Belize City water terminal to San Ignacio?
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/09/05 12:33 PM

Can be done from Ambergris on a day trip, contact [email protected], full day.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/09/05 03:39 PM

We have several ATMs on the island.
Posted By: Littleengine

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/11/05 03:36 PM

Ke... I think a few days in San Ignacio is well worth it - even with getting there and paying for a hotel room for one or two nights, you're bound to pay less than day trips from the island - and you get the added bonus of actually getting to spend some quality time in the area instead of just what you see driving through. I put together a little price comparison chart when I was getting ready for my trip and some of the (approximate) price difference I found were...

Barton Creek Cave Tour....
From AC is $180 US
From SI is $30 US

Mountain Pine Ridge
From AC is $185 US
From SI is $35 US

Xunantunich, Cahal Pech, El Pilar
From AC is $180 US
From SI is $40 US

Caracol Tour
From AC is $225 US
From SI is $95 US

Tikal Tour
From AC is $355 US
From SI is $100 US

Sooooo... espeically if you're looking to do a few tours, it is definitely more economical to do them from San Ignacio than the island. However, if time is more the issue than money, the day trips are definitely available.
Posted By: Beachy

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/11/05 04:38 PM

By far one of the coolest experiences of my life! You gotta do this! But be aware its a real trek, not for the faint.
Chris
Casa Picasso

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/11/05 04:50 PM

beachy, thanks. I have done the tour before. As mentioned it was an amazing experience.

Little engine...from which hotel is the SI prices? Because I have called some hotels and the prices vary from different hotels. Thanks.
Posted By: CodeBoy

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/11/05 04:53 PM

littleengine, where did you set up your tours? Those prices sound great.

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/11/05 04:55 PM

Little engine, I have been to San Ignacio a few times (I am here now). Yes, it is definately worth a few days when coming as a tourist.

However, the reason I asked if it is worth it just for a day is I am looking to spend one night with someone away from the island and to do a tour.

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/11/05 10:17 PM

Ke... I looked on the web at a few different places but ended up going through Mayawalk to do the Mountain Pine Ridge tour (they charged us $45 instead of $35 since there were only 3 of us signed up, but still well worth it). I did Xunantunich sans tour operator, with a couple I'd met earlier in my trip... we hired a taxi driver to take us there and wait while we got a guided tour. All told, that cost us less than $15 US each (taxi and tour guide). It seemed like a lot of the operators in the area charge very similar prices so you can't really go wrong whoever you end up going with.
Posted By: SuzyQ

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/12/05 10:30 AM

We did ATM arranged through Aguada Hotel for $75 US ea and Tikal for $100. each. ATM was by far the most physically challenging as well as surprising tour we took while in Belize. The 45 minute jungle hike and the fording of the river was okay. We were not prepared for the "okay, now to get to the cave, swim". But we made it. Our Tikal trip was just me and my husband. We were taken to the border, handed over to a guide who gave us our own personal tour for the day. It was great! Definately worth a stay in the SI area. We rented a car, drove to SI and did the Belize Zoo and Cahal Pech, Xunantunich, and the Mopan river tubing on our own and still had $$ to spend on AC. We plan on renting again and doing the Pine Mountain and Placencia on our next trip.

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/12/05 11:05 PM

yes, definately worth a stay in San Ignacio, I agree. Have been there a few times.

What I really want to know is does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not it is POSSIBLEA to go from AC to San Ignacio, spend the night, do a tour the next day and return back here?

Just looking for a one night get away with someone. Thanks for any opinions.

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/13/05 09:57 PM

Ke, from the tours we did from San Ignacio, I would think you would want to take the first flight to BC and do a tour, then spend the night and take in a half day of something the next day before returning to AC. Some of those excursions are a little tiring on these old bones. Nice to get back to a comfy seat and a good cold drink without having to worry about catching a ride back to AC.

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/13/05 10:03 PM

susy, thanks so much for your suggestions.
I do not mind tiring excursion, my bones are still up to it and my friend is even younger than me. We're in our 20's. Do you have any suggestions of any tours which would finish in time to get back to San Pedro that next day?

We are just looking to do a one night/day get away from San Pedro. We are looking to leave San Pedro on the first ferry in the morning, go to San Ignacio and spend the day and night and then do a tour the next day. Is it possible to return to San Pedro that next day or do we have to spend two nights?
Thanks.

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/14/05 01:16 AM

Ke, we did not get to any of the caves so I can't speak to that. Again, that will be our next trip in May. (can't wait) In one day, we went to Xuantunich, hit Trek Tours for Tubing on the River from right above Xuantunich to Clarissa Falls and still had time to visit Cahal Pech. I'm sure you've been to Zoo. We had rented a car and stayed at Aquada so there was no waiting for buses, tour guides, etc. It was a fun day. Probably would not have time to get all this in and get back to BC to catch a water taxi if you are using the buses. I know there is kayaking and canoeing around SI also. There's probably plenty of time to do it in an afternoon and a morning though. How are you planning on getting around? And, we are in our 50's and were delighted that we kept up with and did better on the ATM tour than a couple that was with us that was in their 20's! We're not hanging it up yet.

Re: AtM CAVE TOUR AND OTHER TOUR QUESTIONS... - 11/17/05 01:46 AM

Sorry, ke... misunderstood on first reading. It sounds like you might have to spend 2 nights. Your best bet is to rent a car or check the bus schedules and see when the express buses are running to/from Belize City and SI. When I was looking to bus it to Guatemala I know there was an express bus there that left from around the swing bridge at 9:30am. It was $25US and went through SI, I believe. Give S&L Travel and Tours a call and they should be able to give you info on that bus (501 227-7593). Alternatively, when I traveled back to BC to catch my flight on my last day, I took one of the Novelos express buses. It only cost $11US one way and the times varied... 5:15am, 5:45am, 10:15am, 11:15am, etc... One of those buses could get you back pretty early after your second day. The excursion I did left around 9am and didn't get back until well after 4pm so it sounds like it would be too late for you to get back to BC/AC after that. Staying an extra night and then leaving first thing the next morning sounds like it might be the only way.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board