AmbergrisCaye.com Home

staying warm while tubing

Posted By: thnkart

staying warm while tubing - 03/20/06 01:51 AM

Hi all!!

I am very concerned about getting cold while tubing in the caves. I get cold very easily and can tolerate very little airconditioning even.

I had read a post from someone who suggested wearing a wetsuit but we are back packing it to Jaguar Paw so unless they rent them there, that is out of the question.

What is everyone elses experience with cave tubing. Is there anyone out there who is typically cold natured who could comment?

thanks soooooooooo much...this is really bothering me!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/20/06 02:05 AM

I hate air conditioning- by the time you walk to the caves the water will feel good - wet, slightly cool but not cold by any means. Same for inside the caves. I can't imagine wearing a wetsuit. We went in Sept but don't think it will be much different any other time

others may be able to provide more info about other times of year.
Posted By: RobertE

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/20/06 05:09 AM

You may want to look at neoprene spray tops (What Kayakers wear) 0r a neoprene rash guard (surfing shops). These would keep the torso warmer. A wetsuit would be overkill.

http://www.ronjons.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MenuGroup=8&SelectedItem=1&Category=Wetsuits+%26+Rashguards&Page=1&ProductID=1061-0042
Posted By: snorkelgirl

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/20/06 02:14 PM

I'm cold natured, too, but the water was very pleasant and welcome after the hike to the river. I felt comfortable the whole time in the water, even in the shade of the caves.

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/21/06 01:38 AM

what time did everyone go? we are going near the end of May. Things should be nice and warm by then i guess. I'll try not to worry!!!! thanks for the advice!!!!!!
Posted By: mountain Larry

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/21/06 07:41 PM

I can't imagine you would get cold cave tubing. Maybe hot walking to the start off point.
Posted By: BelizeItPlease

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/21/06 07:54 PM

I went in February and wasn't cold at all although being extremely prone to getting cold (see previous posts of mine about diving). The river was running fast so we were only in the water for about 45 minutes though, so maybe that was it? It was nice and I just wore a swimsuit and pair of nylon shorts.

Have fun!

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/21/06 09:57 PM

Dear Thnkart,
We will also be there the end of May (until June 8th). I notice from your bio that you are a teacher. You got to love the end of May!!!!! (My wife and I are also teachers)

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/22/06 11:03 AM

What is your itinerary? It would be awesome if we could split some Taxi fares!!!!
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/22/06 01:13 PM

Wear a shorty wet-suit if you are doing the all day tubing at Jaguar Paw.
Shorter trips have you in and out of the water oftenenough that you do not get too cold.
Favorite cave trip- Ian Anderson's River of Caves - you are in and out of water there too and tend to have a chance to warm up.

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/22/06 03:13 PM

Thnkart,
We will be in Placencia until June 1st, then AC until the 8th. We won't need a taxi but We would be honored to by buy you a beer or a rum punch. ML
Posted By: Gela

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/22/06 04:19 PM

When I went tubing, I wore a tshirt over my bathing suit and I was fine.

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/23/06 08:29 PM

Don't believe Gela, we were with her, she almost drown!

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/24/06 11:02 AM

Larry,

Looks like we'll just miss each other. We are in AC from the 25th to the 1st frown

Dianne,

We are going on the half day trip. So do you tube for a while and then walk for a while?

thanks again guys for your advice!

Re: staying warm while tubing - 03/24/06 04:05 PM

Actually you walk for awhile then you tube for awhile. I think I liked the walk as much if not more than the tubing.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board