AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio

Posted By: p2v

Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/21/06 08:56 PM

We're thinking of staying here a couple of days before coming to AC, does anybody know anything about the motel?
Posted By: silkpainter

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/21/06 10:57 PM

I've stayed there a few times and would stay tehre again, its clean and nice and has a restaurant on the first floor, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've also stayed at the Hiyatt, right across the street which caters more to backpackers (read budget travelers). Its also clean with private baths.
Posted By: Littleengine

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/22/06 12:57 AM

I stayed there for a few days last October and loved it. If you can "splurge", go for the 4th floor room... can't remember the name of it right off the top of my head, but it takes up the entire 4th floor. An amazing space - after long days exploring, it is certainly a welcome place to come back to.
Posted By: ArtZ SmartZ

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/22/06 01:18 PM

We stayed once at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel sits on the hill above the city over looking jungle and Mecal River with both rooms and cabanas w/ baths. It has a pool and a nice restuarant.

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/24/06 02:49 PM

Thank you all for the information, I think we'll give it a try!
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/24/06 03:17 PM

Like Silkpainter, I stayed at the Hi-Eight. I was charmed by the couple who run it and had breakfast in the wonderful courtyard at Martha's.
Enjoy - which ever one you choose.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/25/06 11:54 PM

Martha's now also has an "annex." Casa Blanca Guesthouse is another very nice place, slightly upmarket from Martha's, just a couple of blocks away from the original Martha's, on Burns.

--Lan Sluder

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/26/06 02:27 PM

Thanks again everybody, I appreciate any information I can get.
Posted By: Trinigal

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/26/06 04:49 PM

What sort of price is the hi eight ?
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/26/06 06:42 PM

About $25/nt (USD) I believe, or less for shared bath. Cute place. Very clean. Cool, interesting owner.
Posted By: Trinigal

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/27/06 12:49 AM

US Dollars or Belize dollars?

Either way sound good will check out.
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/27/06 05:06 AM

On the outskirts of town...next to Hode's Resturant is Midas Tropical Resort. Modest cottages, great breakfasts, and a rural feel. Four or five block walk into beautiful downtown San Ignacio. Safe, clean and reasonable. They do have a website under their name. My favorite resturant in San Ignacio is Serendip (ms)...has a Curried Shrimp to die for!!!! Goes great with the Savory Rice.

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/27/06 07:23 PM

USD. Also a bit futher down the same street as Midas (Branch Mouth Road) is the Smith Family Farm with indiviual cabanas for $25 USD/nt. Lush setting. Kid friendly. Close to town and the rivers.

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/27/06 08:29 PM

I thought I had my mind made up with Martha's, but now I'll check into the other ones also. Thanks alot!

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/27/06 09:05 PM

Smith Farm website is down but I have some pics I could send you. Martha's is right downtown while Midas & Smith's are on the outskirts (walking distance but long-ish.)

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/28/06 02:13 PM

Barbara K - Thanks, I would appreciate the pics, do the cabanas have private baths and what would you consider a "long-ish" walk to town? Many thanks!

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/28/06 03:18 PM

Yes, the cabanas have private baths and most have hot and cold water (some only cold). Some have kitchenette or fridge & large sink. I would say it's about a 20-25 minute walk to town center. Email me and I will try to send you the pics. If I can figure it out, I will try to post the link to my most recent pics (2 weeks ago) here over the weekend.

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 04/29/06 10:18 PM

...the distance is maybe four or five blocks and it takes me about 15 minutes, at a relaxed retired guys gait.

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 05/01/06 02:54 PM

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all of the information!
Posted By: cambriagal

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 05/01/06 11:15 PM

Just for board information, we rented the upper floor, it is Room 10 and is $94. per night. The veranda is really nice, had mimosa's before going to the restaurant for breakfast. Great place.

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 05/01/06 11:16 PM

That was Martha's upper floor.

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 05/01/06 11:17 PM

That's U.S. $.
Posted By: Littleengine

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 05/02/06 12:00 AM

Yup... that's an amazing room. That's the one I stayed in for 3 nights last October... slower season, I got it for just under $50US I believe. Definitely worth it, whatever the price!!!
Posted By: kippe

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 05/03/06 04:48 AM

Hi there Bill, still loving Midas? It is indeed a great place and the new owners are really sprucing the place up. For your info, not Bill, you who started this, Martha's has gotten way too expensive, I rented a small room with a fan and a miniature window and paid $50US about a year ago, silly me. The restaurant has been closed alltogether for the last week, supposedly doing renovations, and was only opened sporadically before that, so this is what I think, Cayo gal that I am: Martha's is living on past glory. I used to stay there all the time when SP was still homebase because the sheets and towels were really clean, and I assume they still are, but for the price? Not worth it! Casa Blanca is OK, but seriously over-prized. If you want to stay in town stay at one of the cheaper hotels, how much time are you going to stay there anyway? It really is a shame that all the great little hotels that are here are ignored by so many travellers. J&Rs, a well-known little hotel among budget travellers, have now added what is fondly known as the honeymoon suite, a great room for the price and with John and Rosa serving up coffee and advice in the morning, can't beat it and for the money it is a great deal, but alas how to reach them? I know they were listed as number one budget hotel in Lonely Planet, which up-dated info about Belize something like 5 years ago. As for restaurants, Hanna's is still great, as is Serendib, and if I may be so humble and mention Chingo's, a nice little place, yes, it is mine! Across from Venus hotel, number one choice hotel among ex-pats and Belizians alike.

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 05/03/06 04:48 PM

Thanks alot for all of your input. We made our reservations at Martha's before kippe's post so we'll just hope for the best. Thanks again!!

Re: Martha's Guest House, San Ignacio - 05/04/06 03:24 PM

Hi Kippe: I gather Maria has leased Midas out. She is very busy with her mothers hotel...the Venus and I do know she has entertained the idea of leasing it out in the past. Hope it free' her up. Bill
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board