AmbergrisCaye.com Home
First timer here just wondering if anybody has thoughts on how these two places compare for diving/lodging/nighlife ... especially diving (i'm largely a beginner) - i'm into seeing a lot of marine life and some bright colored coral ... would love to see a seahorse, whale shark, ... Do the dive trips go to relatively the same sites?
Thanks.
I think most people would agree the diving off Placencia is a little better than that off of Ambergris Caye, but the drawback is the reef is a lot farther away, 15 miles or so. Of course the best diving in Belize is even farther out, around the atolls.

Whale sharks are off Placencia in the late spring, April to June or so.

As to lodging, Placencia has much more of a variety in the budget end, somewhat less at the higher end, although several of the small resorts (Robert's Grove, Rum Point, Kitty's, Nautical Inn, etc.) there are excellent. There's more nightlife on Ambergris Caye, but there are some good restaurants and a few bars on the Placencia peninsula.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine
(and Fodor's) http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
I just got back from Placencia, and the diving was great. They have some sort of a wall, and you do some drift diving, it was unbelievable! For snorkeling try Laughing Birds caye. If you are looking for a place to stay we were at Robert's Grove it's a bit expensive, but it was great. Their dive shop has unbelievable equipment, almost new. The Dive masters are great, and when you go diving, your group will probably be the only one in that location, which makes it great.

Good Luck.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board