AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Time needed at Airport

Posted By: Gracie

Time needed at Airport - 05/24/04 02:50 PM

Hi everyone,

My hubby & I are flying from Plancencia to Goldson then home at 3:45PM. How early should we arrive at Goldson? My choices are 12:45PM and 2:45PM. Would 2:45 not leave enough time?
I want to max out my time in Plancencia. :p
Thanks.
Posted By: ckocian

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/24/04 03:01 PM

You will likely encounter people from all over the country in line to check in for that 3:45 international flight. There's a very long line queueing up to the counter where your checked baggage will be rummaged through before it gets tagged and on its way to the plane. Then you have to go through security on your way to the departure lounge.

I'd be very nervous if there was only one hour before my homebound flight departure.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/24/04 07:11 PM

2:45 is definitely not enough time. You need to be at the airport 2 hrs prior to departure. Did you try both airlines? Better earlier than later, there are good shops, a few restasurants and bars at the airport to kill the time. They WILL close the flights and you will not get on if you are too late.
Posted By: lmarquis

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/24/04 07:23 PM

I am always at the airport at least 2 hours before an international flight and wouldn't cut it any closer.

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/24/04 10:12 PM

What about Maya's flight #110 which gets to BZE at 1:35, or Tropic's # 530 which gets in at 1:50?
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/24/04 11:42 PM

You are supposed to get to the airport two hours in advance for international flights. That's more time than some people allow, but that's what the airlines call for. And check-in at the international airport often takes a lot of time, with very long lines, a lot of time for hand search of baggage and so on. Realistically you need at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours, with 1 1/2 bettr, and the 2:45 from Placencia would definitely NOT leave enough time.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: USNA73

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/25/04 06:52 PM

In our situation, we are booked on Tropic 51 out of SPR which looks like two hours exactly to make USAir 1140. Perhaps we should go with Tropic 41 which would push back to three hours?

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/26/04 01:56 AM

Stay with flight 51. 2 hours will do.
Posted By: USNA73

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/27/04 12:04 PM

I guess a follow up question would be: how early should we arrive at SPR for the flight back to BZE?

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/27/04 08:52 PM

30 minutes ahead is the suggested check in time for the local flights.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/30/04 02:12 PM

If you don't check in 2 hours early for an international flight the airline can and (if necessary) will give away your seat. I've seen it happen and no amount of wailing or pleading changed the situation.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Time needed at Airport - 05/30/04 03:57 PM

I'm not sure what airlines you are using, but the last two times I have left International on US Air, I've been in LINE at check-in for 1-1.5 hours. (It might not be so bad right now, as it's pretty slow in Belize right now). Then, you still have to go thru security, grab a drink at Jets, hit the duty free, grab a drink at Jets, buy your last second souvenirs, and yep, you guessed it, grab a last drink at Jets..... and they start boarding really early for those International flights.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board