AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Turnbun Belize City - where to stay, what to do??? - 08/23/01 11:00 PM
Has anyone stayed in/explored Belize City? I think we'll spend a day there to see the reality of the city. What should we do, where should we stay? I'm worried about the crime! Is there a market there???? This will probably be our day of shopping....
Thanks a bunch
jennifer
Posted By: Cinca Re: Belize City - where to stay, what to do??? - 08/24/01 05:48 AM
Belize City isn't terribly crime ridden in the daytime on the busy streets. I like to eat at Big Daddy's, 2nd floor of the big yellow building next to the Swing Bridge (there are gift shops and a market place downstairs). At the Water Taxi there are gift shops. Albert Street has banks and grocery stores, ice cream shop (Blue Bird), clothing stores. Further up the street a few blocks, I discovered a nicely priced gift shop on the right hand side. There are street vendors that sell fruit, nuts, veggies, hammocks, dishes, etc.
A lot of people like the zoo. it seems most peolpe would recommend provisioning then getting out of B city because in comparison the othere areas are more interesting.
Posted By: kcbc Re: Belize City - where to stay, what to do??? - 08/24/01 10:20 PM
Although there is not lots of stuff to do in Belize City for the average tourist there are some points of interest. For one there is the Goverment House that you can go and view. Also some old architecture to be viewed and several old churches. There is also the Image factory for viewing Belizean art work and also the Angelus Press for buying books on Belize. You can go to Darios and buy meat pies. Hang out down by the swing bridge and watch tourists board the boats. Cross the swing bridge and there is a tourist market but last time I was there not much going on and I doubt that you will be impressed. Street vendors are up and down on the streets on this side of the bridge and just lots of people out shopping and such. On Fridays the Mennonites used to come into town and peddle their wares. Can't remember if they are still in this area or if they have been moved.
Belize City is just like any big City. I advise that since you are not familiar with the neighborhoods that you not venture out at night. Feel free to take a taxi to a resturant if you want to but no walking around after dark. Some parts of town have some rough neighborhoods and your not going to be welcomed wandering around in them.
You are occasionally in BC appraoched by people to buy drugs or some one might try to panhandle you. Just be polite and say no.
We have never had any problem and chances are you won't either.
Thanks for all the info!
My feelings for Belize City have softened over the years. I do go, and enjoy, when necessary. I just think that the Town of San Ignacio has much more to offer and it's really not much more than an hour and a half by bus. The San Ignacio Hotel is really nice. Away from town abit, but within walking distance. Very nice walking trails behind the Hotel going down to the Macal River. The Mayan Ruin Caul Pesche (ms) is further up the hill from the hotel.

[This message has been edited by Bill Thornton (edited 08-25-2001).]
Thanks for all your input. We are going to bus it to San Ignacio and the Cayo district after our one night in Belize City.
September 10 is National Day and September 21 is Independence Day so around this time there will be lots of activities going on. There will be a street carnival sometime between these dates. Lots of tourists line the streets to watch the affair.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board