AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Is Belize City Sinking? - 09/13/16 11:21 AM
by Hector Silva

This is a question, that many Belize City residents prefer not to be told. - But in fairness to all concerned, it would be negligent of me to take this UNTOLD story to my grave.
This is a serious issue that should have been placed as a priority when those Millions were available.

THIS ARE THE FACTS which are kept in some dusty shelf

In the 1960's, the then Self Government Cabinet under the Leader- ship of Premier Price,supported by an all Belizean Cabinet, requested my Ministry of Public Works, to carry a FULL STUDY of the Topography and Sub-soil of Belize City and its surroundings.

WE made a request to the United Nations for the expert advice on this extensive project. - An Expert Engineer by name, Mr, Decourcy was sent and an office was established at the Ministry's Com- pound. - - Our local engineers Bob Mahler, Dennis Gonguez and other personnel were assigned to complement this important study and a Jamaican Engineering Firm was contracted to do the SUB SOIL BORE TESTS. ( penetrating deep into the bowels of the area), - In some areas up to 70 feet deep, before they reached the rock plate. - Besides the Bore Tests,gauges were placed at various spots within the City Proper.

THE FINDINGS WERE REVIEWED, AND VERIFIED, BY A TEAM OF ENGINEERS before submitting them to Government.

This study took some two years, after which a compilation was made
and submitted to my Ministry.- I then took it to Cabinet before having a round table discussion with the EXPERTS of the EXPERT TEAM.

RESULTS AND RECOMENDATIONS.

(1) - It was found, that Belize City and its surroundings, lay on an OLD RIVER DELTA.- That the area, has over the centuries, been reclaimed ( filled ) with organic matter ( old vegetation ) - Silt from the Belize Old River River, and the city with old logs, - Pipe Shank ( dead coral ). old bottles, garbage and bricks, - By primento sticks used as Corderide and SEA sand brought by high tides and hurri-canes.--
(2) - It was found that the rock bed below, varies between 20 feet and in some areas 70 feet deep. - And that the ground above this ROCK PLATE is mostly made of PEAT. - ( rotten mud )

THE STUDIES ALSO MADE ALARMING COMMENTS AND ADVISES.

For example. -
( a ) - That Belize city is sinking by errossion. -Rainfall washes away the top soil and Dry months blow the dust in large proportions.
(b ) - That heavy vehicles pounding on the floating streets, cause them to sink on the long run.- - -Today, streets that always remained above rain water in the past are now flooded with heavy rainfall.
( c) - That the heavy structures being built in the city causes the area to sink. - despite the piles being driven. - - It was found that many old buildings built on stilts ( meaning wooden buildings ) have experienced lately, that their ground floors are sinking. -

THE STUDY IS LENGTHY, but it is my intention to release this old report for those that have ears to hear, - eyes to read and minds to care.

Sometimes later, I will continue this information, but presently, there are so many BURNING ISSUIS. ( Good night )

Posted By: katzgar Re: Is Belize City Sinking? - 10/07/16 12:54 PM
Ocean levels are rising?
Posted By: Shyboy Re: Is Belize City Sinking? - 10/07/16 07:58 PM
Since the world is coming to an end, does anybody have a chart or figure on how many fractions of an inch; or inches that Sea level has risen in the last 10-50 years? I know we will all drown in the near future; just curious about the last 10,20,30,50 years
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Is Belize City Sinking? - 10/08/16 02:28 PM
Issue of immediate concern, especially for the city and cayes, when we have storms in Sept and Oct, worse during full moon and high tide.
Posted By: elbert Re: Is Belize City Sinking? - 10/08/16 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Shyboy
Since the world is coming to an end, does anybody have a chart or figure on how many fractions of an inch; or inches that Sea level has risen in the last 10-50 years? I know we will all drown in the near future; just curious about the last 10,20,30,50 years

The World is about 4 billion years old, give or take a million or so...It's not ending soon and egos are flattering themselves thinking it would happen in their lifetime. It may however lower it's habitability to rid itself of it current infestation.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board