AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Security breach causes credit card - 02/06/07 06:28 PM
Security breach causes credit card

cancellations

A security breach in North America has resulted in the mass cancellation of credit cards worldwide, including Belize. The cards, both Visa and Mastercards, issued by Scotiabank in Belize, total between one hundred fifty and two hundred. The bank's international headquarters began contacting cardholders by phone over the weekend, telling customers that their existing cards have been cancelled, but new ones would be issued as early as next week. Scotiabank chief executive in Belize, Pat Andrews, told News Five that while the bank has yet to determine how much, if any, personal data may have been compromised, cardholders are protected by the Visa and Mastercard liability policy, which means they will not have to pay for any charges fraudulently made with their card numbers. Viewers should note that not all Scotiabank cards are affected and those holders whose cards have been cancelled are being notified internationally. So there is no need to call the bank. If, when making a purchase you find that your card is not valid, then you should contact your local branch of Scotiabank.

Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Security breach causes credit card - 02/07/07 12:20 AM
Revised story-the security breach occured at the any of the stores in the TJ Maxx-Marshalls, etc chain to anyone who charged at any of those stores. That would affect anyone, whether they have a card issued from SCotia, Belize Bank, Atlantic bank or Ft Caribbean. Only Pat Andrews of Scotia was decent enough to notify people via a public medium. I think its 77 pax affected in Belize.
Posted By: Marty Re: Security breach causes credit card - 02/07/07 09:15 AM
thanks Katie
Posted By: Nova Re: Security breach causes credit card - 02/07/07 02:51 PM
Hubby and I met Pat Andrews on our trip last week. Not suprised he came forward with this info, he really is a decent guy.
Posted By: p2v Re: Security breach causes credit card - 02/07/07 06:31 PM
My US CitiCard was cancelled and reissued last Friday with the same issue, pretty big security breach I'd say.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Security breach causes credit card - 02/07/07 10:41 PM
Another reason for card cancellation.

This is classic......a must read

*Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die. This is so priceless, and so so easy to see happening,

Customer service being what it is today.

*A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now was somewhere around $60.00.

A family member placed a call to Citibank.? Here is the exchange:

*Family Member:* "I am calling to tell you she died in January."

*Citibank:* "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."

*Fam ily Member:* "Maybe, you should turn it over to collections."

*Citibank:* "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."

*Family Member:* So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?"

*Citibank:* "Either report her account to frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!"

*Family Member:* "Do you think God will be mad at her ?"

(I really liked this part!!!!)

?

*Citibank:* "Excuse me?"

*Family Member:* "Did you just get what I was telling you? The part about her being dead?"

*Citibank:* "Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor."

(Duh!)

*Supervisor gets on the phone:*

May I help you ?

*Family Member:* "I'm calling to tell you she died in January."

*Citibank:* "The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply."

(This must be a phrase taught by the bank!)

*Family Member:* "You mean you want to collect from her estate?"

*Citibank:* (Stammering) "Are you her lawyer?"

*Family Member:* "No, I'm her great nephew."?

(Lawyer info given)

*Citibank: *"Could you fax us a certificate of death?"

*Family Member:* "Sure."

(Fax number is given)

*After they get the fax:

Citibank:* "Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can do to help."

*Family Member:* "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care."

*Citibank:* "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply."

(What is wrong with these people?!?)

*Family Member:* "Would you like her new billing address?"

*Citibank:* "That might help."

*Family Member:* " Odessa Memorial Cemetery , Highway 129, Plot Number 69."

*Citibank:* "Sir, that's a cemetery!"

*Family Member:* "What do you do with dead people on your planet?

(Priceless!!)

Posted By: Sun&sand Re: Security breach causes credit card - 02/08/07 05:20 AM
We have had both of our credit cards (his and mine, not the same account) cancelled while we were in San Pedro, making it a very tough visit, since we tend to do most of our business using credit cards. We use CitiBank, and have never had a problem, if we call them with our issues. I love Citibank, except when they deny me credit based on the fact that I didn't tell them I would be out of the US (I didn't realize I had to clear my itinerary through them). But, when I have a little "come to Jesus" with them, they see it my way, and we live happily ever after. No problem, just need to make sure they know who pays the bills.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board