AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Leader pleads with US not to deport son - 10/22/09 02:05 PM
[Linked Image]
Prime Minister Barrow

[Linked Image]
Shyne

BELIZE'S PRIME Minister, whose rapper son spent 10 years in jail over a shoot out at a club he attended with P. Diddy and then girlfriend Jennifer Lopez, has asked US authorities not to deport him.
Prime Minister Dean Barrow made the plea on behalf his son, rapper Jamal 'Shyne' Barrow, in a letter to US Governor of New York David Paterson.
In 2001, Shyne was convicted on two counts of assault, reckless endangerment and gun possession over his role in the 1999 shoot-out at Manhattan's Club New York.
Shyne, who converted to Judaism and changed his name to Moses Michael Levy in jail, was released from Woodbourne Correctional Facility in New York recently after serving his 10-year sentence.
But he was taken to a federal immigration detention centre while immigration officials decide whether to send him back to Belize, caribbeannew360.com reported.
The US usually deports non-citizens who commit crime but the rapper is fighting the deportation.
Prime Minister Barrow told local news reporters: "�It is clear that he wants to stay in the Stares where he might continue his career. So I wrote in terms of petition for a kind of pardon that would allow him to stay," Barrow said.

=====================

Shyne is Getting Deported

It's as though some people never catch a good break and rapper Shyne is one who can testify to that. After serving close to a decade for the state, it is now official that he will be deported back to Belize.

As a close friend of the rapper, Angie Martinez was able to brief fans on the situation and provide a rundown as to what the current situation is with Po, according to Miss Info.

Shyne's team is fighting to stay in the US where his mother and his grandmother live and where they raised him�.but it seems like he's going to have to continue the fight from Belize. Shyne will be released from Immigration custody but will then be deported to Belize soon. He has Harvard Professor Charles Ogletree advocating on his behalf in concert with his legal team.

They're still urging fans to reach out to Governor Patterson's office to petition for Shyne's pardon but deportation is eminent.

One would be under the influence that the reborn Moses Michael Leviy, that's Shyne folks, would be under plenty of added pressure and stress now that his departure has basically been guaranteed. Martinez assures those, however, that the New York native is finding a means to deal with his emerging predicament.

"Shyne is one of the strongest people I know and he's handling this situation just as I'd expect him to. It must be frustrating for all of his friends and family; he served his time, and keeps getting all these different dates and conflicting information. But he's a soldier, he's dealing with it."

As previously reported, the rapper was originally scheduled for release on October 6, but was detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement where it would be determined if he would be deported back to Belize, where he was originally born.

Fellow rapper Raekwon spoke on the circumstances of Shyne's deportation recently on his IceWater Vlog stating that Po only did what he felt was best to ensure that he provided for his own. By remaining in the States, it might have been the smartest decision to ensure that food remained on the table so it is wrong to deter a man from supporting his family.

It looks like another win for the country, but another loss for the actual citizens that keep the country moving. Who would have thought that a person that was raised here since he was a child would be considered an alien to the States? Chances are that if the shooting never happened, it wouldn't have mattered.

Maybe the Land of the Free wasn't meant to include Shyne Po.
Posted By: Marty Re: Leader pleads with US not to deport son - 10/22/09 02:07 PM

Shyne Barrow is coming home to Belize; he is expected to be deported from New York soon – that’s what US media reports say. Leading hip-hop radio station in New York Hot 97 reports that their news director communicated with Shyne who said that he believes he'll be relocated to Belize soon, where he will then continue to fight for a pardon from New York's Governor David Paterson. A spokesman for the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement told MTV News Shyne is being held for violation of an immigration law, but he would not identify which law. So, according to those reports, he’s coming home, but we could not get comment from his family spokesperson in Belize Housing Minister Michael Finnegan. He says they are still waiting for information from Shyne’s chief strategist Professor Charles Ogletree.

But in the event of a deportation, which appears imminent, Shyne does have a home waiting in Belize. Two weeks ago when he was first released, Finnegan said that in the event of a deportation, Shyne is prepared to re-locate to the Caribbean, and specifically, his house on Goldson Avenue.

[October 6th 2009]
Michael Finnegan, Uncle of Shyne Barrow
“If he is even deported back to Belize he can work and operate out of Europe. He doesn’t have to operate out of the United States. He isn’t poor. If you notice, if you pass by my house, you’ll notice that you will see construction going up in my yard. That is his alternative. It is his money that is being spent there, my sister’s and his money, that is being spent there. It is a studio like thing that is being put there. If what they want to succeed in doesn’t work, then there is an alternative. He wants to have an immediate access to something. When he comes here he says doesn’t want no land from government. If he has to come here he wants to buy his own land, he has his own money, because he has money and he wants to do his own thing, do everything. But he wants an alternative and you know dah me raise ah. So if he has to come back home, he will come back to Goldson Avenue where he start out from which is my home.”

That was two weeks ago, and today Finnegan would not comment on US media reports that Shyne’s deportation is imminent. He would only say that the family is awaiting updates from their legal strategist.

Channel 7
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board