AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Businesswoman Found Dead

Posted By: Marty

Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 03:47 PM

Police have confirmed the death of Karen Sue Brown, owner of Isla Bonita Gallery and Frame Shop, located at the Fairdale Plaza on Coconut Drive. The body of Brown was discovered inside her business around 12:30p.m. and police are ruling her death as suicide as they have confirmed the discovery of a note next to the body. People close to Karen mentioned to Ambergris Today that she had been depressed lately, complaining how the bad times were affecting her frame shop business. As San Pedro Police continue their investigations, Ambergris Today will keep up with updates.

Ambergris Today
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 04:50 PM

wow! sad! prayers for her and any family.
Posted By: ckocian

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 06:00 PM

That's the third suicide within my orbit of existence that's happened this month, the first one New Year's Eve.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 06:02 PM

This is very sad news.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 06:14 PM

End of year and long periods of stress ..... tough times for so many people.
It's too late for us to give a hug to Karen, but it's not too late for us to be a little kinder to others we see who are sad or lonely or having a difficult day.

RIP to all who found it just too hard to continue.

Posted By: Hon

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 06:26 PM

No one can know the despair that causes a person to take such drastic measures. We can only hope that her loved ones can eventually find peace with her actions. So tragic.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 06:53 PM

Karen Sue had suffered from depressio for a long time. I'm so sorry that she couldn't find the help she needed and is now at rest.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 07:06 PM

It was tragic. I will be suggesting to the Transport department that any time an incident as this occurs, traffic be rerouted behind the distributor. The number of bicyclists, golf carts, taxis, and pedestrians standing around the area with police tape was astounding. Not to mention all of the tourists on golf carts who only saw "crime scene" tape and numerous police officers.

May she rest in peace.
Posted By: Mike Campbell

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 07:16 PM

There but for fortune go you or I.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 07:19 PM

Sad.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/19/11 08:12 PM

Very sad . . . I wanted to stop in at her shop, and went by numerous times, but it was always shuttered up tight. My heart goes out to her friends and family.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/20/11 01:09 AM

from a friend....

Mental Health is a medical problem just like diabetes. You can take medications, get therapy and have a very productive life.

During tough times, you need someone to listen! Someone that is a professional that monitors your thinking.

I encourage families if they know they have a loved one with depression or mental health ongoing issues show them love and support

Take time and make it a priority. Dont wait till they write a note or become helpless and then you keep asking yourself what IF.

I am speaking from experience and it is strictly necessary to help! It is imperative to the well being of the person that suffers depression to sometimes get them the help.
Posted By: catdance62

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/20/11 04:11 PM

that's terrible. So sad that someone found that was the only solution to the suffering of depression. Sad for her family frown
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/20/11 08:11 PM

Karen and I were very good friends some years back. In the past years she displayed more and more issues with her health, physically and mentally..almost becoming a recluse. More recently I tried to get her to come over to Caye Caulker for some R & R and her intent was always to come but sadly she never did. She was a good, caring person and I am very saddened by this.
Posted By: buzzbean

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/22/11 03:46 PM

This is so sad. My wife and I stopped in and purchased two prints of San Pedro art last February. I'm not sure if we talked to Karen or an employee of hers. She was a large, very kind woman and we chatted for a while about the art and living in SP.
Posted By: Gela

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/22/11 11:24 PM

I found a beautiful hand painted tile that came into her shop by an artisan a few years back. I chose a frame and a day later I was presented a beautiful piece of artwork. I think of her often as I gaze at the piece.

I'm so sorry - I know about depression. Many people don't realize that people they know and love are suffering. I am so very sorry that we lost her.
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/24/11 03:16 AM

Yes that was Karen..A large but very beautiful woman...
Posted By: LoveH20

Re: Businesswoman Found Dead - 01/24/11 07:47 PM

So very sad.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board