AmbergrisCaye.com Home

U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro

Posted By: Marty

U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 01:19 PM

Assailants knew him

Also in San Pedro, a tourist was stabbed inside the room he was renting over the weekend. The incident occurred in the wee hours of Saturday morning when three men entered the apartment of thirty year old American Film Director Shawn Patrick Danielly situated on Boca del Rio Drive and were caught stealing. According to San Pedro Police, at about four-twenty a.m. on Saturday, they visited a building situated on the beach side on the northern portion of San Pedro Town in the Boca del Rio Area. They found Danielly on the ground, bleeding from the abdomen area. Investigation reveals that three men entered the lower flat of the building from a window. They were in the process of stealing a laptop, an IPod and a cell phone when they were surprised by Danielly, with whom the group had been socializing in days prior to the incident. According to police, a struggle ensued and one of the young men pulled a knife and stabbed Danielly. The commotion alerted the neighbors who called the police. Danielly was rushed to a private clinic on the island and was later airlifted to the KHMH and admitted in a stable condition. The US citizen has since been discharged from the KHMH and is preparing to leave the country. San Pedro Police have detained the three suspects who were transported to Belize City where an identification parade was conducted this afternoon at the Queen Street Police Station.

Channel 5

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 01:20 PM

SP police detained three men for weekend stabbing incident

Three male suspects have been detained following the stabbing incident of a tourist that occurred in the wee hours of Saturday October 20th. According to San Pedro Police the incident occurred over the weekend in San Pedro Town on Ambergris Caye inside the apartment that the tourist was renting. The victim has since been identified as 30 year old American Film Director, Shawn Patrick Danielly, a guest at a tourist accommodation situated on the beach at Boca del Rio Drive.

According to San Pedro Police at about 4:20AM on above mentioned date, they arrived on the scene at the beachside establishment where police found a Caucasian male person, later identified as Danielly, on the ground and bleeding from the abdomen area. Police investigations revealed that the male persons entered the building and were in the process of stealing several items when a struggled ensued.

During the struggle, police said that one of the young men pulled out a knife and inflected a single stab wound to the left lower area of the abdomen. Because of the commotion, people living in the area were able to notify police who responded shortly after. Police say Danielly was familiar with his attackers since he had been socializing with them for five days during his stay on the island.

San Pedro Police explained that it appears that one of the men gained entrance to the building through a back window and opened the front door for the other two men. Once inside the three were in the process of stealing several items including a laptop, an IPod and a cell phone when they were caught by Danielly.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 01:32 PM

Note to all of the potential visitors who read this article - whether in San Pedro, Belize or Podunk, Michigan - don't bring strangers home.
Like it or not the facts are that most local people already have friends, jobs and things that they need to do each day.
Belizeans are friendly, kind, open and sociable people - BUT reputable people simply do not have time to party with tourists - period, full-stop.

Anybody who says come party with us is either angling for a free night on the town or is setting you up for something else.

There is much to do in San Pedro that does not revolve around drinking and hanging out. REALLY - and it's all fabulous. Please come for the "other" San Pedro - the nature, the culture, the kids, the sea - there is nothing but joy and good times waiting for you there.

Posted By: Edwardo

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 01:48 PM

I am sickened by this. I read this forum every day and it seems every week there is a nother robbery, beating, killings . What has happened to that island.Maybe its about time the Mayor pull out a noose and string up some of the young people who have no respect for life or other people.Then maybe yhey would get the pitcure.It makes me think of selling and going somewhere else.
Posted By: Bear

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 02:22 PM

I understand the sentiment Edwardo but I dont know about public hangings. I do think that encouraging the SPTC to seek assistance in replacing the islands missing magistrate would be a realisticaly good starting point...Some form of more socially acceptable punishement can come after that. When this appears on the dockett I'm going to be interested to see if the case is dropped as a result of the victim's absence from the country.

This is as much a social issue as it is a criminal one but I'm no social engineer, so I couldnt comment on the mindset of the island's young people that lead up to this kind of criminal behavior. Currently however there just doesnt seem to be a sure and swift consequence that is demonstrably real. Without that, well those inclined to such behavior, for whatever reason, see a carte blanche...
Posted By: ragman

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 02:32 PM

Very unfortunate incident and I hope the men involved are prosecuted.

Diane is correct of course and it has always been my advice to visitors to stay away from the shady bars, shady people and nothing good happens after midnight. It is fine to be friendly. When I see some of our workers or contractors that I am familiar with on occasion I will stop buy them a beer. Maybe have one with them but then it is on my way.

The difference in the life style and income is quite different in the two countries and it is best to act modest in public. The normal tourist who enjoys what the Island has to offer in the day time. Enjoys dinner and a few drinks in a reasonable establishment at night will likely have an incident free visit with a lot of good memories.
Posted By: catdance62

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 02:52 PM

Diane could not have said it better.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 03:01 PM

[quote=Edwardo]I am sickened by this. I read this forum every day and it seems every week there is a nother robbery, beating, killings . What has happened to that island.Maybe its about time the Mayor pull out a noose and string up some of the young people who have no respect for life or other people.Then maybe yhey would get the pitcure.It makes me think of selling and going somewhere else. [/quote

Eduardo - We moved here 20 years ago. Shortly after that move we learned of the brutal beating deaths of two expats. They were well liked individuals and people were devastated that this could happen on our island paradise.
The circumstances though --- consistently heavy drinkers, altercation with somebody in a bar who was a druggie - he followed them and hurt them.
If you take a look at the altercations that lead to injury on this island I bet you 10 to 1 that most are late at night and involve intoxication.
This is not about San Pedro as much as it is about alcoholism and drug addiction. I challenge every person reading this to do something positive about social issues like this one.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 03:01 PM

If I read correctly this victim is a film maker. Did he have a crew with him or was he a loner? I also remember reading that the police have brought someone onboard to educate the forces on getting good documentation that will hold up in court.
Because there is no magistrate hopefully the testimony can be videotaped under oath and serve to convict these scum bags. It always amazes me about the time of these crimes Ė around 4:00 in the morning.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 03:05 PM

IMHO - Closing the bars - ALL of them - at midnight is the first step to correcting the altercation issue.

Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
IMHO - Closing the bars - ALL of them - at midnight is the first step to correcting the altercation issue.

Agree with this. When I visit there, I would much rather be up at the crack of dawn, enjoying a cup of coffee at the end of a dock and watching the sunrise....that is livin!

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 03:38 PM

Shady bars,shady people,closing bars at midnight is not the solution. There wil always be shady bars and shady people.The people that comit thses crimes are getting younger and younger and maybe its time some of them are made an example of so the rest will see the consequences which may stop and make some of them think about what they are doing.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 03:40 PM

What about the beating last week by 14 & 15 year olds.They can't be in the bars. Maybe they should receive the same punishment they gave their victim.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 03:46 PM

When the general public continue reading these things soon the general public will feel the island is not safe anymore and find other destinations which are safe to travel.Its time someone cracks down on this .

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 04:03 PM

Edwardo, I understand your sentiment but when a person contributes to setting up the situation which led to this through bad judgment it is good to educate tourist and others not to behave this way.

This is not unique to San Pedro, under this circumstance this could happen anywhere in the world and probably would.

Of course crap can happen to anyone at anytime but best to limit the time your neck is above the chopping block if you want a better chance to survive. Another way to put it is that criminals look for the easy target and if the target is not easy Ö. well most times, but not always, the crime will not happen to that person.
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 04:08 PM

Hope he does not leave and allow these criminals to be freed from punishment!

The robbery incident was reportedly at 4 AM - I'm sorry, but where does the report state the times of the day the group had been socializing? And where are the details of drugs/ late night deviant behavior?

Is it possible that the tourist had probably been buying food / beers as a friendly gesture - all the while "his new friends" were casing him out? Please reframe from blaming the victim until the facts!

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Edwardo
What about the beating last week by 14 & 15 year olds.They can't be in the bars. Maybe they should receive the same punishment they gave their victim.

OK - let me add "enforce curfew".
These children were out after curfew.

As an aside may I also say that I grew up in the green state of Michigan (where Edwardo is located according to his profile), and recall many bad things happening to good people even in the good old days before color tv.

When parents fail, the community needs to step in. Far too many parents fail ......

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 04:17 PM

A thief is a thief no matter how you cut it. Edcuating tourists is great but once a thief always a thief and they need to be punished.Not just slap there hand and let them out.And whats wrong with parents these daysteach your kids right from wrong.
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 05:04 PM

I think everyone would agree that one should use common sense when traveling anywhere, but I hope this incident is not swept under the rug either. A beating of a man on the beach resulting in a fatality , an armed robbery of a business have also occurred in a weeks time. These did not involve drunken revelry. Homes and businesses are being robbed at an alarming rate. Unless measures are taken to stop these senseless crimes, tourism and investment will indeed suffer .
Posted By: champion

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 05:10 PM

I have no idea as to the value in dollars tourism accounts for on Ambergris, but I believe its paramount to the local food chain. I read today about the missing girl and no help from San Pedro Police, WTF. The Mayor should make police and safety one of the top agendas on his roster of things to do.
Posted By: Bear

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 05:28 PM

I'm down with Diane and Rags' original opinions on this. I know there is not just one part to adressing the issue of crime on the island but several, including the obvious law enforcement and judicial components. I will be emailing SPTC and encourage them to fill the vacant magistrates office as an intial step. I cant do a whole hell of a lot about certain aspects but I can give guidance to the people I feel somewhat responsible for and those are my guests.

I'm drafting some basic guidance for the information binder we leave for guest orientation. Briefly put situational awareness is required anywhere and particularly when traveling. The corollary is recognizing at risk behaviors and staying the hell away from a bad situation to begin with.

I dont think anyone is blaming the victim, maybe if someone had told him, "Hey look youre asking for trouble if you do this and or this" he might not have put himself in harms way.

I will say however that deciding to physically confront persons (of any age) found committing a crime is not something I'd recommend to anyone. But at 4 a.m. it's difficult to know in what "frame of mind" any of the participants found themsleves. And yes that includes minors and I'd suggest that anyone would be foolish to think otherwise...

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 05:46 PM

Bear, this was the first thing that I posted:
Very unfortunate incident and I hope the men involved are prosecuted.

Of course I would hope that we vigorously police San Pedro and weed out these bad characters. I like the New York "broken window" approach which worked well there several years ago. We all know that many lesser crimes are overlooked at the present time.

In addition the charge against these men should not only be armed robbery it should be attempted murder or the equivalent in Belize.

Unfortunately, what usually happens is that the tourist goes home and without the key witness the case is dismissed. There should be a way to get around this a little better but I understand the defense's concern.

The other part is that people in areas that they are not familiar with have a duty to themselves to try a little common sense and err on the conservative side if in doubt. The best police force cannot be everywhere.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 05:52 PM

True Diane , I haved lived in Michigan all my life in the same town. There are break ins and theives steeling things , but in all my life in the same place people arn't beating and killing people for cell phones and lap tops.And the lack of respect from young people today is very sad.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 05:57 PM

The lack of respect is rampent world wide i'm guessing.
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
Hope he does not leave and allow these criminals to be freed from punishment!

The robbery incident was reportedly at 4 AM - I'm sorry, but where does the report state the times of the day the group had been socializing? And where are the details of drugs/ late night deviant behavior?

Is it possible that the tourist had probably been buying food / beers as a friendly gesture - all the while "his new friends" were casing him out? Please reframe from blaming the victim until the facts!

Agree! No where does the current new articles state the nature of the 'socializing' with the criminals that purportedly occurred. Are we to not socialize casually while visiting??? These thugs are flat out violent criminals. They are rampant in San Pedro making victims of local residents and tourists, alike. Focus on the rampant crime and not the victims' 'lack of proper conduct'. I do hope Mr. Danielly is able to return to give witness testimony in the prosecution of these thugs. Attempted murder should definitely be on the prosecution's menu.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 06:19 PM

Yes, unfortunately "The lack of respect is rampent world wide Iím guessing." I believe you are correct.

Iím now living in my boyhood city (might have been a mistake to move back) and it has a population of about 90k. Not a day goes by without several incidents of robbery and assault which are mostly fueled by drugs. It is terrible and it is not the city it was when I grew up. Edwardo you are fortunate if this behavior has not found your area yet.

Still publicly advocating for vigilantly justice would just cause more bad news for the Island. I have no trouble with a quite tune up, out of sight but the right way to go is sticking with lawful means to keep this behavior in control.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 06:23 PM

Agreed ,SPTC needs to step up to the plate. I read and see a huge amount of changes on the island going on they are doing a great job, this is just one more that needs to be added to the list.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 06:38 PM

Youth programs - scouting etc.. idle hands and minds go nowhere but down!
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 06:56 PM

As my father has always said; "Nothing good happens after midnight"
Posted By: PSUhorty

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 07:25 PM

B-O-L-O-G-N-A

This mentality is so misguided. AC is a TOURIST destination. Donít punish the victims, many of which very much enjoy having a few drinks into the wee hours at a bar, and who for the most part behave themselves. Thatís just shooting yourself and the tourist economy in the proverbial foot.

Quit blaming the victims and start cracking down on the perpetrators. When chatting with acquaintances, old or new, I always recommended AC as a tourist destination. No longer do I.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by carbunkletrumpet

As my father has always said; "Nothing good happens after midnight"

An old girl friends mother always said to me when I got her home in the early AM, "there is nothing you do after 8PM that you can't do before it."
Posted By: Tracker

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 07:53 PM

This is very sad, but before we start hanging people, we should make sure of the facts first. Ambergris Caye is small and as such any crime is soon know by all who LIVE here. It is unfortunate that crimes like this are on the rise everywhere around the world.
I have lived here for 20+ years and have never been the victim of crime, a few tourists come here and think it is ok to buy and use drugs and to drink far more than they would at home. The atmosphere on the island puts people at ease and as such some let there guard down.
The horrific beating last week, took place in the early evening so no curfew would have prevented this unless we want to lock up our young as soon as they come from school.
As for the latest incident, the person had been drinking with these guys during the days previous to this incident.
Any crime that is commited here on the island is bad, the Mayor is trying to tackle this problem, but it takes time, money and the co-operation of the public, some of whom like to turn a blind eye to what is going on.
Please do not start saying that Ambergris Caye is an unsafe place, you only have to look at the world news to see that crime happens everywhere, are we to tell tourists not to go to the US because of the shooting that took place recently?
If you are visiting our island, you will have a great safe time, just take the normal precautions that you would anywhere else you might visit. Isla Bonita awaits you with open arms.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/23/12 10:09 PM

I thought this topic should be discussed in this forum as opposed to the public forum. As usual it is off track.
I think Phil would agree with me.
Jim

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/24/12 03:40 AM

I agree to an extent, but tourism is the life's blood of SP/AC and this sort of incident will surely gain attention elsewhere. why not approach it with a reasonable post upon the public access? The island cannot and does not exist within the bubble of this private arena. Crime is sadly increasinly high. I find it odd that it is predominantly attributed to 'lack of activities' for the youth. These criminal perp elements are going to keep coming to and visiting upon AC their crimes. The San Pedro families are not raising these idiot violent criminals, although there is no accounting for the few that go 'bad' raised by good folks in SP. Let tourists know that yes, there are crimes, and yes, you can be more educated about the current situation, but it is NOT the norm. Hiding the subject is not good for the overall economic health. I, too, refer many of my friends and associates in Texas to the wonderful experiences of the jewel I call SP...but the caveats have exponentially increased. I'm almost all out of confidence in sending my peeps to SP these days. Just my 2 cents worth. Having been a resident over a decade ago, I may be out of touch, but I am in touch with many friends who do reside in SP.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/24/12 01:13 PM

Those of us who answer emails from incoming tourists who hear about crimes know the score. We have to tread lightly and answer truthfully but yet give them hope and confidence that they can be safe with a few simple instructions. We tell each and every one of them.... and we allow NO locals that are not business associates inside our yard, no matter if the guests claim they are "friends" or not.

It's not something you can actually ENFORCE if you are not there 24/7 but by telling them this you can instill the seriousness of the situation in their minds.

We feel that we prepare our guests and warn them about buying and doing drugs with locals, buying drinks for them or hanging out with them at local bars.

Posted By: SimonB

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/24/12 01:21 PM

"tourism is the life's blood of SP/AC and this sort of incident will surely gain attention elsewhere. why not approach it with a reasonable post upon the public access?"

"These thugs are flat out violent criminals. They are rampant in San Pedro"

Somehow I don't find that statement to be reasonable.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/24/12 04:34 PM

I agree that news should not be censored. But I do not agree with 4 days of 'beating the dead horse'as they say. There will be another bandwagon any moment now for everyone to jump on. Life goes on.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/24/12 06:21 PM

thank you jim

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/25/12 12:41 AM

"There will be another bandwagon any moment now for everyone to jump on"

You were right; another armed robbery today in DFC.

As a side note; around 3:30 this afternoon heavily armed police (3 M16's) brought 3 males into the police station. Wonder what that was about as I've never seen that kind of firepower before for that purpose.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/25/12 01:24 AM

WOW ! More info, please

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/25/12 01:40 AM

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/community-and-society/2012/10/24/one-love-store-held-up-by-armed-thieves/
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/25/12 01:45 AM

Thanks , Simon

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/25/12 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by SimonB
"tourism is the life's blood of SP/AC and this sort of incident will surely gain attention elsewhere. why not approach it with a reasonable post upon the public access?"

"These thugs are flat out violent criminals. They are rampant in San Pedro"

Somehow I don't find that statement to be reasonable.

Which statement is not reasonable? From the SP Sun article you posted: "The police responded to the scene shortly after but no arrest has been made. One Love Store is the second business establishment to be held up at gun point in less than a week. On Friday, October 19th the Western Union Branch at Ambergris Lake Villas was held up at gun point and similarly, no arrest has been made." Armed robberies at multiple stores; a beating death of a citizen just after sundown; stabbing of a tourist during an armed burglary of his lodging... We have businesses and their employees being robbed and threatened with guns, a murder with a board beating of a local man, and an attempted murder of a visitor. All within a couple of weeks. Rampant violent criminal incidents.

Re: U.S. Citizen stabbed in San Pedro - 10/27/12 01:26 PM

AMERICAN, 30, STABBED IN HIS HOME BY SO-CALLED FRIEND

An American visiting San Pedro is lucky to be alive after he was stabbed and almost killed by three men who had been socializing with him at his apartment in the Boca Del Rio area in San Pedro.

Police said that Shawn Patrick Danielly, 30, a film director, was in his apartment around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, October 21, when three men known to him entered the house to rob him.

He struggled with them, and one of the thieves stabbed him with a knife in the lower left side of the abdomen.

Police, who were called by the neighbors, entered Daniellyís apartment, where they found him lying on the floor bleeding from the wound. They took him to the clinic, after which he was rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, where he was stabilized. He has since been released from the hospital.

Police said that the men were drinking with Danielly earlier that Saturday night and returned to Daniellyís apartment early Sunday morning to rob him. They gained entry through a back window that they broke, believing that he was asleep.

The noise of the breaking window alerted Danielly, who came out of his room to see what was happening. He then saw the three men who were socializing with him earlier in his apartment.

He told police that they were stealing his laptop computer, an IPod and his cell phone. He said that they attacked him when they realized that he had caught them, and one of them took out a knife and stabbed him.

Police captured the three men in San Pedro and took them to the city, where an identification parade was conducted, and the men were identified by the victim.

Amandala
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board