AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro

Posted By: Marty

Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/01/13 02:14 PM

The San Pedro Sun has confirmed that an individual socializing on the beach in midtown San Pedro was confronted by a lone individual and shot. The victim fled to the Barrier Reef Drive area where he collapsed. He was transported to the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro PolyClinic II where transportation to Belize City has been arranged. The San Pedro Sun will post updates as they develop.

The San Pedro Sun has confirmed that the shooting victim is Allen Martinez of Jungle Street in Belize City. Martinez is in serious condition and in the progress of being transported to Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) in Belize City.

San Pedro Sun
Posted By: Edwardo

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/03/13 01:57 AM

Any update on this ?? Or is it going to be swept under the rug?
Posted By: collyk

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/03/13 02:13 AM

Man arrested in shooting.
Posted By: Edwardo

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/03/13 03:48 AM

Paper says detained ? Seems to me he should be put away I'm sure there were lots of witness at that location at that time.
Posted By: collyk

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/03/13 04:28 AM

Might be a good idea to pop down to the police station and tell them what you think Edwardo.

Man Shot In San Pedro By Senior Customs Officer - 04/03/13 01:30 PM

A man is in the KHMH with a shattered pelvis after he was shot by a senior public officer this weekend in San Pedro. It happened on Easter Sunday night around 8:30 pm at the Holiday Inn Hotel, which is in downtown San Pedro on Barrier Reef drive. Police say 29 year old Allen Ajay Martinez and 40 year old Reynaldo Verde got into a fight.

Things escalated and Verde - who is second in charge at the Sales Tax Office - pulled his licensed weapon and shot Allen in the left hip. The bullet exited his buttocks and Allen had to be rushed to the City in a Coast Guard vessel. He was brought to the Princess Pier where a police truck took him to the KHMH.

Allen is originally a resident of Belize City who has relocated to San Pedro. His friends say that he was playing with his son and accidentally spilled Verde's drink - and that's what started the fight. He remains hospitalized with a serious injury to his pelvis.

We could not reach Verde for comment as he is detained by police. Police have not said what he will be charged with - and describe the incident on the press release only as a shooting. We'll keep following the story.

Channel 7

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/03/13 08:27 PM

Allen “Ajay” Martinez shot in San Pedro Town

Police on Ambergris Caye have detained one man following a shooting incident on Sunday March 31st. The victim of the shooting is 29 year old unemployed Allen “Ajay” Martinez of a Tarpon Street address in San Pedro Town. The incident occurred shortly after 8PM at an Easter function at the Holiday Hotel situated on Barrier Reef Drive in San Pedro Town. San Pedro Town Police have since detained 40-year-old Reynaldo Verde of Belize City for the shooting.

According to Superintendent of Police, Luis Castellanos, Officer in Charge (OC) of the San Pedro Police Station, they visited the Dr Otto Rodriguez San Pedro PolyClinic II, where they saw Martinez with a single gunshot wound to the left hip that exited the buttocks on the left side. Initial investigations revealed that Martinez was socializing on the deck of the Holiday Hotel with some other friends when he accidentally bumped into Verde and an altercation ensured. According to Police, Verde took out his license 9 millimeter (mm) Luger brand gun and fired a single shot towards Martinez causing his injuries.

In speaking to The San Pedro Sun Newspaper OC Castellanos said that a 9mm slug was retrieved from the scene. A 9mm pistol along with a magazine containing seven live rounds of 9mm ammunition belonging to Verde was found inside his hotel room.

As a result of his injures, Martinez was transported to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) where he is listed in a stable condition. Verde, the Deputy Director of the General Sales Tax Department, remains detained pending the outcome of their investigations.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

San Pedro Sun

Posted By: robvee

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/03/13 08:58 PM

I mean what would you do if you legally carried a gun and some guy accidently spilled your drink, Say hey man, you can go buy me another , no harm done Of course not, You pull your 'legal' luger and shoot him, thank God no one else was hit !!!! So sad . too many idiots with guns and not an Ammendment in sight !!!
Posted By: robvee

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/03/13 10:07 PM

Worse than IRS and Mafia not as bad as Russian Mafia , the guy would be in a coffin

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/04/13 02:01 PM

Deputy Director of GST Department arrested, charged and remanded for shooting in San Pedro Town

The Deputy Director of the General Sales Tax (GST) Department in Belize has been remanded to prison for the weekend shooting of an Ambergris Caye resident. 40 year old Reynaldo Verde of Belize City has been formally arrested, charged and remanded to the Belize Central Prison after he was identified in the shooting of 29 year old Allen “Ajay” Martinez of a Tarpon Street address in San Pedro Town. According to police, Verde was detained following a shooting incident on Sunday March 31st that occurred shortly after 8PM at a social event at the Holiday Hotel located on Barrier Reef Drive.

According to the Superintendent of Police, Luis Castellanos, Officer in Charge (OC) of the San Pedro Police Station, they visited the Dr Otto Rodriguez San Pedro PolyClinic II, where they saw Martinez with a single gunshot wound to the left hip that exited the buttocks on the left side. Initial investigations revealed that Martinez was socializing on the deck of the Holiday Hotel with some other friends when he accidentally bumped into Verde and an altercation ensured. According to police, Verde took out his licensed 9 millimeter (mm) Luger brand gun and fired a single shot towards Martinez causing his injuries.

In speaking to The San Pedro Sun newspaper OC Castellanos said that a 9mm slug was retrieved from the scene. A 9mm pistol along with a magazine containing seven live rounds of 9mm ammunition belonging to Verde was found inside his hotel room.

Verde appeared before the San Pedro Magistrate court where he was read a single charge for dangerous harm before Magistrate Sherigne Rodriguez on Wednesday April 3rd. Police Prosecutor Sergeant Raymond Berry objected to the bail when requested by the accused Attorney Michael Peyrefitte (Speaker of the House of Representative in Belize). Sergeant Berry pointed out to the court that it was not the first time Verde has been before a court for a similar offence and because the nature of the crime involves a firearm, bail should be denied. After a short break, Magistrate Rodriguez returned to the courtroom where she explained to Verde that due to the nature of the crime, the request for bail was denied. Verde has since been remanded to the Belize Central Prison until his next court appearance scheduled for May 10th. Verde is legible for Supreme Court bail before his next court date.

It is not the first time that Verde has been before the court on similar offenses. In November of 2004, Verde was arrested and charged for attempted murder, aggravated assault, use of deadly means of harm and discharging a firearm in public after he shot Jose Nuñez inside MJ’s Nightclub on Newtown Barracks in Belize City. At that time Verde got into an altercation with Nuñez where he pulled out his licensed weapon and shot Nuñez in the left arm.

According to police, more charges are expected to be served on Verde as the police are yet to get further directives from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution. As for Martinez, he remains hospitalized in a stable condition at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH).

San Pedro Sun

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/04/13 02:10 PM

Senior employee from the GST is remanded for a San Pedro shooting

Reynaldo Verde

Reynaldo Verde, a senior employee of the General Sales Tax Department, will spend time behind bars after he was remanded to the Belize Central Prison this morning.  Verde was charged in the San Pedro Magistrate’s Court with dangerous harm for an incident which occurred at the Holiday Hotel on Easter Sunday.  Reports are that the forty-year old Verde got into an altercation with San Pedro resident, twenty-nine year old Allen Martinez, and in the process drew his licensed nine millimeter Luger pistol and shot Martinez once in the left hip. This morning, Verde, represented by attorney Michael Peyrefitte, was denied bail at the objection of Sergeant Raymond Berry since it is the second time that he has been charged for a similar offense with a firearm.  In 2004 Verde was criminally charged after he shot a man in a nightclub during an altercation. Magistrate Sherigne Rodriguez agreed to the objection of bail and Verde will stay behind bars until May thirtieth, when he is to re-appear in the San Pedro Magistrate’s Court.

Channel 5

Posted By: seashell

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/05/13 09:00 PM

What the heck is wrong with this guy?! Lock him up and throw away the key. Why is it even legal for him to have a gun after what happened in 2004? Sheesh.

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/09/13 11:05 AM

The Other Man Shot By A GST Senior Staffer Speaks Up

Last week, we told you about Renaldo Verde, the senior staffer at the GST Department Headquarters who shot 29 year-old Allen Martinez and shattered his Pelvis on San Pedro on Easter Sunday. He remains at prison tonight hoping to get bail from the Supreme Court for a single charge of dangerous harm with a firearm.

As we reported, Verde and Allen Martinez had a misunderstanding in at a hotel in San Pedro - which resulted in an altercation. Verde then pulled his licensed weapon and shot Allen in the left hip, which exited his left buttocks.

Verde's attorney, Michael Peyrefitte, filed the bail application last week Friday, and it is now before the Supreme Court to be conidered on when the matter can be heard.

And so, while he's hoping that the court will grant him bail in the near future, a man from his past is outraged that he's even being given an opportunity - which is his constitutional right - to be freed until his trial date.

Joseph Nunez is the man who Verde shot on November 13, 2004, and even though it happened 8 years and 4 months ago, Nunez remembers it as if though it was yesterday.

Nunez was never given an opportunity to tell his side of the story. However, keeping in mind that what he had to say cannot affect this current case or that past one - since the attempted murder charges were struck out for want of prosecution - he spoke to us today to provide context into Verde's apparent proclivity for use of deadly force.

Here's what he had to say about that incident:

Joseph Nunez - Prior Shooting Victim, November 13, 2004
"I was a police recruit, number 1126 joseph Nunez. I came to Belize City on police duties, at that time we were shaking down those Chinese vendors who were selling at the time "PUP Boledo". However after about the time I worked at night, I went to the MJ's night club to socialize, a bunch of other recruits and me. Whilst there, I went to the bathroom and I met Mr. Verde inside the bathroom. I told him - well I ask him if he was finished and he replied, no, so I went out of the bathroom to the bar, after which I went back into the bathroom. This is about 10 - 15 minutes prior to the first time I had gone to the bathroom. Mr. Verde was there again so I went to speak to Mr. Verde. I said, 'Are you finished because I need to use the - I need to use the urinal. So he said, 'Go ahead; I'm done - I'm done - I'm done.' So when he moved from the urinal, and I approach the urinal, I zipped down my pants. I heard like a gun cranking, so what I did - I made an about turn, when I made an about turn; this gentleman was pointing the gun at me. So I asked him, 'I didn't do you anything. I don't know you and you don't know me,' but he didn't reply to me any at all. So what I did I just grabbed his hand and pushed it down, and I ran to the door to try to escape. The next thing that happened was that the man just fired a shot in my hand 'bang' shot me in my arm. I ran out of MJ's, got in a taxi and went to K.H.M.H. The man almost took my life and at the end of the day he tried to take another man's life. I don't know what transpired at San Pedro between him and the gentleman but all I'm saying is that why they will issue this man another license again after he has already committed one offence with a firearm? I never had any conversation with that gentleman any at all. I never one day meet him and ask him anything, the first time he actually saw me in person was when we went to the court the first time, besides that - well I use to see him every day because every day he pass me. He never knew me, but you see I knew him. The good book - the Bible tells you to err is human, to forgive is divine. Vengeance is mines, says the Lord, hence the reason I didn't do him anything because I don't have that kind of mentality against anybody. God gave me another chance to live, hence the reason why I'm at where I'm at now. To my mind or to me, he does not deserve to get bail because it has occurred once - it has occurred twice and who knows maybe it might even occur again. So to my mind, I think he does not deserve to get bail."

Nunez has pledged to the current shooting victim, Allen Martinez, to provide testimony if the court should see it as helpful to the case.

Channel 7

Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: Allen Martinez shot in San Pedro - 04/09/13 09:33 PM

Verde is a menace to society. Thankfully he has been apprehended and is in custody... hope he stays there and that a lawful trial occurs, and justice prevails.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board