AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Stabbing incident leaves one female injured - 05/15/14 10:54 AM

Lorena Montes
(Stabbing victim)

A stabbing incident this afternoon in San Pedro town has left a woman hospitalized in serious, but stable condition in Belize City.

According to reports, Lorena Montes suffered multiple stab wounds during an attack just after midday today inside of her business establishment Henry's Store, which is located at the corner of Swan and Glitter Streets in San Pedro town.

The attack, reports say, happened in front of Montes' children who had gone to the establishment during their lunch break.

Police in San Pedro have detained another woman believed to be the person who attacked and stabbed Montes.

Roxanne Canul
(Detained by police)

The detained woman has been identified as Roxanne Canul.

A motive for the stabbing has not yet been determined by authorities but it is believed that a confrontation between the women's underage children, coupled with a long standing dispute between the two women may have played a big role in today's bloody incident.

After the stabbing, Montes was rushed to the Dr Otto Rodriguez (San Pedro) Polyclinc and later airlifted to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in Belize City for further medical treatment.

No charges have yet been brought against the woman in police custody and the official investigation continues.

Patrick Jones

Woman injured in confrontation, another in police detention

San Pedro Police are investigating a stabbing incident that has left a mother of four hospitalized in a serious but stable condition. The victim has since been identified as Lorena Montes, a resident of Swan Street in San Pedro Town. The stabbing occurred around 12:20PM inside Henry's Store located at the corner Swan and Glitter Street, and in the presence of Montes' children, who had come home for lunch. San Pedro police have detained a female identified as Roxanne Canul, a resident of the Airstrip Area in San Pedro Town.

One of the people who saw the incident unfold was one of Montes' close friends, Dorla Polonio. Polonio explained that she was sitting on the street side when she observed Montes returning to her establishment while being followed from a distance by another woman. According to Polonio, the woman approached Montes inside her shop where an argument ensued, after which the woman pulled out a concealed knife and allegedly stabbed Montes. "I saw a young lady walk through Lorena's store door way, politely pulled out a knife from out of her purse, then barged into the store and stabbed her. She got at least six stab wounds; three in the back, one of which we were told punctured her lung, and the others to her head. She was stabbed in front of her children who were out of school for lunch," said an emotional Polonio. San Pedro Police identified the attacker as Roxanne Canul, who received minor bruises to the head, presumably caused by Montes as she defended herself.

Witnesses claim that they have visited the police station to give their account of the incident but police have not taken statements from them.

Police would not go into details about the incident since it is in the preliminary stage of investigation, but they did confirm that Canul has since been treated for her minor injuries and remains detained as part of the investigation.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Mother of 4 is viciously stabbed in front of her children in San Pedro

Lorena Montes

A mother of four was transported from San Pedro to Belize City just after midday and is listed in a critical condition at the K.H.M.H. Lorena Montes, the proprietor of Henry's Store, was stabbed multiple times in front of her children who were with her during the lunch hour. The stabbing occurred at the corner of Glitter and Swan Streets and just prior to the stabbing, another woman was seen following Montes to her store. Her attacker stormed into the business and reportedly inflicted several stab wounds to Montes' back and head and one is believed to have punctured her lungs. Montes was rushed to the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic Two before she was airlifted by Wings of Hope to the Municipal Airport and then on to the K.H.M.H. for urgent medical treatment. San Pedro Police have since detained Roxanne Canul, a resident of the airstrip area in San Pedro Town as part of the investigation.� As for a possible motive, multiple reports from San Pedro Town indicate that Canul and Montes have had problems in the past and this morning their children got into an argument which is believed to have escalated into the stabbing.�News Five spoke this afternoon to an eyewitness at the scene of the stabbing.

Via Phone: Dorla Polonio, Friend of Stabbing Victim

"She got like about so much jook in her back and in her head. I saw all of those and I even saw when she pulled out the knife from her purse and we have pictures with her being in the hospital and we also have picture while she was going towards the store, entering the store to attack Lorena."

Duane Moody

"You are saying that it was premeditated; that you saw them walking up and down anticipating to go in and attack Miss Lorena?"

Via Phone: Dorla Polonio

"Right and my words to Lorena was called the police because you done see that they are into problems. And her words to me was Dorla, I noh wah call no police cause I noh do nothing; I am in my shop working. Make dehn call the police and when dehn come I wah explain myself. But before everything happened, she explained to me that Dorla I noh want fight�I feel anger but I noh want no problem.� My sister was the one that entered the store, took the knife from the young lady so that she couldn't have inflicted more injuries."

Duane Moody

"So the knife and all that you guys saw, have you been able to report this to the police and give your statements as to what happened?"

Via Phone: Dorla Polonio

"Perfect question. That is the point right now. We ended up going to the Polyclinic, take her there, gave the knife to a cop and the cop didn't arrest the girl or taking her into custody. She ended up walking to police station on her own."

At news time, Montes is fighting for her life.�

Channel 5

OK- I give up- Where is the corner of Glitter and Swan?
San Pedrito

San Pedro woman in critical, but stable condition following stabbing incident

On Wednesday, we reported on the vicious attack on a mother of four children in San Pedro. Lorena Montes, the proprietor at Henry's Store near the airstrip on the island, was stabbed multiple times to the back and face allegedly by a woman with whom she has had previous conflict. But during the lunch hour on Wednesday, eyewitnesses say that Roxanna Canul entered the store, took out a knife and stabbed Montes puncturing her lungs. Via Wings of Hope, Montes was transported to the city and rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. Tonight, we can report that she is in a critical, but stable condition in the Emergency Section of the hospital. Montes' mother, Rosa Perez, has been at her daughter's side since the stabbing. Perez told News Five that her daughter is hemorrhaging. �

Rosa Perez, Mother of Stabbing Victim (Translated)

Rosa Perez

"I have two shops in San Pedro; my daughter works at one and I work at the other. She worked at the one near the airport, named, Henry's Store and I work at the shop in the DFC area. Yesterday, a woman came with a knife and attacked her. Right now she is in a gravely ill; she is bleeding profusely still because it punctured her lungs. The doctor says that the wound was about six to eight centimeters deep and it punctured the lung. They have her still in emergency. My daughter told me, because like I said I was at the other shop, she said that she was stacking products when the woman entered and stabbed her first in the back. She was then going to stab her in the neck, when she lifted her hand and the knife instead caught her in the right side of the face. She was stabbed like four to five times by this woman. She really defended herself, but the one in the back was really bad. The doctors are saying that if the lung responds to treatment, then they can remove the tube; that is all that the doctors told me. So I don't know if she will live or not."

Channel 5

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board